Watkins trade revisited

Watkins trade revisited   

396 members have voted

1. 1. With what we know now would you make the same trade for Watkins?

• Yes, he's worth it
    • No, I would rather the pick

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate trading up in the draft. I probably would have just stayed there and hoped Evans fell or picked Ebron. That said, yesterday, he showed he was a special talent. That pass from Orton had pick 6 all over it and he made an unbelievable catch to help us win a game.

It's such a risky trade but he can be one of the best wrs in the NFL.

I don't get the Bradford love. What has he really proven so far? He also has struggled with injuries since college. Way too risky for the amount he will cost IMO.

I agree. Bradford has been spotty when he has been healthy, and betting on his ability to stay healthy would be a big risk.

Whilst Watkins is and was worthy of a top 5 pick in the draft. The fact it was two first rounders however makes it, in my opinion, dependent on certain criteria:

Game planning and QB play (irrespective of who is on the field) - Is it consistent enough that a star player is being utilized and targeted correctly?

And secondly, do we finish with a record that puts us into the playoffs? Our pick needs to go somewhere in the twenties at worst for it not to look like another wasted gamble (á la 2004: Lee Evans & J.P. Losman).

In essence, I don't want the Bills to take a step back... Again.

We would be better off with our pick, plus Kelvin Benjamin or Eric Ebron. Chandlers lack of athleticism was on full display yesterday...

Ebron's unreliable hands were also on display. He has been a non-factor so far this year. I do like Benjamin and he would have been my pick if they stayed at 9, but Watkins looks to be a very special player.

Naturally fans will be loving the pick after a win, and the Bills tied in the division lead with the Patriots after 5 games in being 3-2. Lets revisit this conversation next April, as so many things can happen between now and then.

As adamant as some here are about spending a first round pick on an OG. I'm just as adamant about spending two first round picks AND a fourth for a WR. Especially considering the team still doesn't have their franchise QB. The one unequivocal position that touches the ball every offensive play is far, far more important then a WR.

Both Kelvin Benjamin & Brandin Cooks look to be excellent receivers from this years draft. Now tell me a trade back for one of those two, while picking up an extra 2nd pick for a quality OG wouldn't have paid off big time. Pears at RG is a joke, and the run game, and offense is suffering for it.

I love the win in Detroit, and that Sammy is a special player. Its just so far he doesn't look to be worth 3 players at this time. I hope Sammy is soon a top 10 WR with Orton at QB, and he single handedly destroys the Patriots. I may just change my mind :D

We would be better off with our pick, plus Kelvin Benjamin or Eric Ebron. Chandlers lack of athleticism was on full display yesterday...

I agree, they could have picked QB with 1st next year, and TE or WR (whichever they didn't pick this year) with 4th round pick they gave up next year. Would have been better in long run. But management worried about their jobs make desperate moves, and this was one.

I agree, they could have picked QB with 1st next year, and TE or WR (whichever they didn't pick this year) with 4th round pick they gave up next year. Would have been better in long run. But management worried about their jobs make desperate moves, and this was one.

Where I disagree is that it wasn't a desperate move because there was so little risk associated with the player. When I think of desperate moves EJ fits more into that category. A boom or bust type of move because you needed a QB. You would be very hard pressed to find anyone in the scouting community that didn't think that Watkins was going to be a great player. The price was high but so was the floor.

in order for a player to be worth 2 first round picks you must be a pro bowl talent.

Sammy is a special player and sure looks like he could reach that level.

would i have made that trade ? NO

i prefer trading down and picking up second round picks (high value $/talent). i also prefer drafting big boy front 7 players in first round and going skill in second round.

having said that, without sammy, they don't win yesterday.

I have no problem that we made the trade, but seeing how Benjamin has performed, I'd rather have him plus the picks we sacrificed to move up. So yes, with the benefit of hindsight I wouldn't have done it. But, that doesn't mean I think the Bills screwed up, or regret what they did.

Edited by Matt in KC

I did not answer the poll given the way it was phrased. I am very happy that he is on our team. I thought that he was worth moving up to get.

I just think that he could have been had for less than we gave up given what the Dolphins traded to move up more spots and to a higher pick the previous year. Farmer out negotiated Whaley in my opinion. The market was set and we should have not blinked first. I even seem recalling reading how Farmer put the Bills on hold and the Bills thought they might lose Sammy. That is the oldest trick in the book.

In the end, I am glad that Sammy is on the team. We should not hold it against him how much we gave up. I will feel A LOT better about what we gave up if the pick ends up being in the bottom half of the first round.

Well said. :thumbsup:

The big question is what we do with the money we save from not having the pick. Does it allow us to keep a player or two or go out and sign a blue chip veteran? If that's the case, then it's a good trade.

This is an excellent point that isn't mentioned enough. That first round money will probably go to extending one of our top tier guys, at least I'd hope that'd be the case.

I still think it is a little early to fully assess the trade, being only 5 games in. I did, however , vote "Yes, he's worth it" because I am leaning heavily in that direction and think he will at the very least be the best receiver this team has seen since Eric Moulds, by far.

It's a tough call. I was against the trade at first, because I hate trading up in any draft, but Sammy is very clearly an elite receiver who is able to make other players better, not unlike a Josh Gordon, Julio Jones, or AJ Green. Those type of players come around once only every couple years and there is no more valuable player on an NFL roster, other than a franchise QB. My doubts about EJ are what made me oppose the trade initially, but it is looking like the Bills' pick will be mid-to-late first round and it's not easy to find a franchise QB in that spot anyway. I am still disappointed that the Bills did not pull the trigger on a mid-to late round QB this past April, but that's really neither here nor there.

The real question - CAN Sammy ever live up to the expectations that come for a player who cost you two first round picks, (hopefully only one of those a high one). Seriously - if he were taken by the Browns there and was doing for them what he is doing for the Bills, it would be high fives and ass slapping all around. Because of the price we paid - he needs to be a monster to meet the expectations.

Look - I don't like the trade as I think the only position in the NFL you move up for in RD 1 (and give up a future RD1), is a QB as it is the most important, but he looks to be as good as advertised.

I'm 100% on board with the trade. He is a freak talent. The speed, route running, hands and attitude are all elite. Getting that type of talent is rare. A first round pick is no guarantee of a great player anyway. Sammy is already doing things we haven't seen from a WR in a long time.

A star player is two three times as good as a very good player IMO. You can't win without stars. It was worth it then and it's worth it now regardless of the QB. He won the game for us yesterday with a freak play because he's a freak elite player.

The only question I have to that is if a receiver is worth that. For as great as Calvin Johnson is, he's been to playoffs once. But I love Watkins talent.