Does anyone still support EJ or Hackett?

I want to support EJ. I really do. But it's hard to when a guy that has this much talent around him still can't get it done. And don't get me started on Nate Hackett. I didn't like the signing from day 1, but I was hoping he'd prove me wrong. But after seeing CJ get stuffed up the middle on the first play of 90% of our series', I have concluded that this man has no idea what he is doing. I hate most of his play calls, especially on 1st and 3rd downs. They are absolutely mind blowing at times. He needs to go ASAP.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think tomorrow is really big for Hackett. We've had so many open receivers that EJ has missed, that feels like the OC is getting them into position to make plays and the QB is missing them. I think that's a good job by the OC and bad execution.

That being said, if we run the read option with Orton as the QB, Oh boy.

I want to support EJ. I really do. But it's hard to when a guy that has this much talent around him still can't get it done. And don't get me started on Nate Hackett. I didn't like the signing from day 1, but I was hoping he'd prove me wrong. But after seeing CJ get stuffed up the middle on the first play of 90% of our series', I have concluded that this man has no idea what he is doing. I hate most of his play calls, especially on 1st and 3rd downs. They are absolutely mind blowing at times. He needs to go ASAP.

As long as they are Bills I root for them to excel and do well. As far as football goes the individual personalities mean little to me and the TEAM means everything.

PS: Given Orton's history of being well-regarded but the results of him winning at a .500 level, with his history of injury, I think it is reasonable to hope he does well, but the smart bet is that EJ has not started his last game as a Bill.

Tomorrow will certainly help answer some questions about what falls on who's shoulders between those two. I could see one surviving but not both. While each had looked very bad at times, I could see arguments to not close the books on them yet; just that either is a bit of a long shot

EJ yes because he can be developed more. Hackett no, because he's in over his head.

I think tomorrow is really big for Hackett. We've had so many open receivers that EJ has missed, that feels like the OC is getting them into position to make plays and the QB is missing them. I think that's a good job by the OC and bad execution.

This.

We don't know if is play calling from the sideline, changing the play at the line of scrimmage, or bad execution. Today's game will be an opportunity to help figure out which one it is.

As long as they are Bills I root for them to excel and do well. As far as football goes the individual personalities mean little to me and the TEAM means everything.

PS: Given Orton's history of being well-regarded but the results of him winning at a .500 level, with his history of injury, I think it is reasonable to hope he does well, but the smart bet is that EJ has not started his last game as a Bill.

Agreed

I do think EJ can be a good QB in this league.

And I think his comments this week were very revealing and informative. As I have watched him, one of the most frustrating things about him is his hesitancy as a player. He never seems sure of himself, never seems to have the confidence to make quick decisions that involved some risk, but can also bring great reward. And it seems to be most obvious when he runs … he never looks like he is willing to take a challenge as a runner, and on many occasions has left 1st downs on the field in the name of playing it safe.

Why?

Well first, he is by nature a conservative person and as we say, "a people pleaser." He will do what his coaches tell him to do. And all year he has been preached to about not losing games. Don't take chances, don't do stupid things, don't get hurt. So someone with his natural personality whom hears this message day in and day out, the outcome is what we have seen: An occasional big play, and a whole bunch of cautious plays with scant reward. Or, a lot of frustration for those of us watching.

Why 2?

I blame this on Hackett. And EJ's comments this week confirm that in my my mind. His new attitude, "I'm going to go out there and let it rip," "do what I can do." Why wasn't he doing that already? He was never given permission to do that. No doubt, we don't want him to be reckless and/or to take silly gambles. But you do want a little Brent Favre in your QB. All good ones have that edge to them (i.e. Jim Kelly). It is not natural with EJ, and when he has an Offensive Coordinator sitting on his shoulder (or in his ear piece) constantly telling him what not to do, and, calling plays that reinforce that conservative and cautious mentality and conservatism, well, you get the results we have seen.

In the end, I blame this more on Hackett than EJ.

I agree, today is big. It's been an open question whether the QB is limiting Hackett or the other way around.

In general, I have not been a fan of much of his play calling - CJ up the middle is wrong, wrong, wrong, but maybe our guards have a lot to do with it....

Orton, while not the Savior some wish to paint him as, is a capable veteran NFL QB. If Hackett can, indeed, plan a capable NFL offense, we ought to see it today.

I agree, today is big. It's been an open question whether the QB is limiting Hackett or the other way around.

In general, I have not been a fan of much of his play calling - CJ up the middle is wrong, wrong, wrong, but maybe our guards have a lot to do with it....

Orton, while not the Savior some wish to paint him as, is a capable veteran NFL QB. If Hackett can, indeed, plan a capable NFL offense, we ought to see it today.

Here, you touch on my problem/concern with Hackett. Too many people blame CJ for not running better up the middle, or maybe it's the Guards. Pears is abysmal. 3/5's of our line was changed this summer. Stevie was too erratic, so he was traded. EJ is horrible... benched.

Pears, Urbik, Stevie, CJ... all looked great in Chan's offense. Suddenly, they all suck? We were a mid-ranked offense under Chan. Now, with better players (supposedly) we're ranked 27? At some point, the coaching staff have to look at themselves.

I do think EJ can be a good QB in this league.

And I think his comments this week were very revealing and informative. As I have watched him, one of the most frustrating things about him is his hesitancy as a player. He never seems sure of himself, never seems to have the confidence to make quick decisions that involved some risk, but can also bring great reward. And it seems to be most obvious when he runs … he never looks like he is willing to take a challenge as a runner, and on many occasions has left 1st downs on the field in the name of playing it safe.

Why?

Well first, he is by nature a conservative person and as we say, "a people pleaser." He will do what his coaches tell him to do. And all year he has been preached to about not losing games. Don't take chances, don't do stupid things, don't get hurt. So someone with his natural personality whom hears this message day in and day out, the outcome is what we have seen: An occasional big play, and a whole bunch of cautious plays with scant reward. Or, a lot of frustration for those of us watching.

Why 2?

I blame this on Hackett. And EJ's comments this week confirm that in my my mind. His new attitude, "I'm going to go out there and let it rip," "do what I can do." Why wasn't he doing that already? He was never given permission to do that. No doubt, we don't want him to be reckless and/or to take silly gambles. But you do want a little Brent Favre in your QB. All good ones have that edge to them (i.e. Jim Kelly). It is not natural with EJ, and when he has an Offensive Coordinator sitting on his shoulder (or in his ear piece) constantly telling him what not to do, and, calling plays that reinforce that conservative and cautious mentality and conservatism, well, you get the results we have seen.

In the end, I blame this more on Hackett than EJ.

I agree. Even before the season started, people were saying that if he was benched it would be the end. I don't believe that to be the case. They originally wanted to bring in a vet for him to play behind, enter stage right, the infamous floor mat. EJ was pressed into action after having to sit the last couple pre season games. He was never able to learn behind a QB that has been there.

Now to current day, we had hoped he would be able to tread water, but he wasn't good enough for the coaches. I truly believe that they want him to sit behind Orton and learn what a veteran does to prepare and watch Orton lead by example. I think he'll get another chance in the near future, possible starting at the outset of next season.

However, it is not unconceivable that he doesn't ever get a chance again. I still hold out hope he can correct his flaws and just come out "guns a blazin" like he says he wants to. If he can play without thinking to much, I think he can be very effective.

EJ yes because he can be developed more. Hackett no, because he's in over his head.

Still beating that drum :wallbash: , even though it's proven Hacketts schemes have had receivers open all over the field and the QB doesn't have the ability to get them the ball or the opponent defense stacking 8 or 9 in the box limiting the Bills running ability also because the QB doesn't have the ability to keep the defense honest by getting his receiver the ball, but you want to keep blaming Hackett. Ok whatever. I think Orton is going to be throwing the ball all over the field and you will see EJ was the sole problem with this offense.

While I haven't given up on Manuel as a future starter, it was clear that he needed to go to the bench. He simply was not able to execute the offense at a competent level for an NFL starter. Which brings me to Hackett. While I thought from the beginning that NH was a questionable hire at best, the EJ situation has given me pause. His game plans at times appear unimaginative, but some analysis of the Houston game, for which he was highly criticized was interesting. Several plays that were diagnosed by ESPN when discussing EJ actually showed good design to get WR' s open and actually were executed perfectly... Except for EJ. They should have went for an easy first down and for big yardage to Watkins. So it appears that NH may actually be drawing up nice plays in the passing game and was hamstrung by his inaccurate and slow to see the field QB. While he has been criticized for too many runs on first down, for example, the actuall run/ pass ratio for the Bills through four games is almost 50/50. That surprised me. So we may see a major improvement in execution at QB in the passing game with KO at the helm. While I do not expect this to be immediate, due to KO not being here for OTA's or training camp, it should gradually become apparent. I just can't make a complete judgement on Hackett until I see his offense with a veteran QB behind center. The Bills aren't exactly putting Peyton Manning in at QB, so if the passing game improves it will probably change my views on Hacketts abilities.

I blame this on Hackett. And EJ's comments this week confirm that in my my mind. His new attitude, "I'm going to go out there and let it rip," "do what I can do." Why wasn't he doing that already? He was never given permission to do that.

http://www.buffalobi...f1-8a9e70fa53bd

Posted Nov 17, 2013

Coming into the game Manuel for the season averaged just over six yards an attempt. On Sunday he literally threw caution to the wind and averaged 8.75, his highest single game average this season.

“When I looked to the sideline and saw my guy over there and I see coach saying, ‘Hey let’s just go out there and play. It’s just like practice, just go out there and let it fly,’ it helps.”

I still holdout some hope that with better OL play that.EJ could play well. It isn't fashionable to acknowledge in the media or on this board, but a mixture of a young QB, young WRs, a weak OL, and an inexperienced Offensive Coordinator is most often going to look about like what we've seen.

Poor OL play affects QB play - go ask Tom Brady how he is enjoying playing under pressure from pass rushers.

If the OL doesn't play better, Kyle Orton won't have much better luck than EJ had.

Edited by OldTimer1960