Kyle Orton in action vs. the Eagles (video)

QCity

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...definitely a much more polished QB than EJ.

Hate to see the game-ending pick, though.

Ball comes out in rhythm, which is nice.

Some throws behind (including aforementioned pick).

I know some here will find this outrageous, but I trust Hackett to put together a better game plan than Bill Callahan.

Looks like a competent, capable QB to me. That's all the Bills need at this position. Get it to the playmakers. Connect from point A to B.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see the offense move a little better this Sunday.

Orton was also supported by the strong running of DeMarco Murray. It is critical for the OL to give Fred and CJ some room to run or it's going to be a long, long day for Orton.

This is one of the really interesting questions that need to be answered........was Murray able to run because the passing game was opening things up for him to do so?

Will Orton getting the ball out on time and hittng receivers force opposing defenses to change the way they defend our run?

This is one of the really interesting questions that need to be answered........was Murray able to run because the passing game was opening things up for him to do so?

Will Orton getting the ball out on time and hittng receivers force opposing defenses to change the way they defend our run?

It's going to be hard for Detroit to put 8 in the box based on what I saw in this video. Looks like Orton won't have much trouble identifying and hitting the hot read.

Murray was 17 carries for 48 yards and a fumble thats why the Cowboys ended up throwing it 40+ times . Orton is as play action QB so the better the run game the more effective his play action game will be

I've come to realize there are a lot of people speculating about Orton that obviosuly haven't ever seen him play. Here's a 6 minute video of all his throws in his last game. It was last year's final week 17 game against Philly with the season on the line (the winner advanced to the playoffs). This was his only start of the year.

As you can see he has excellent footwork, is very decisive, and has a quick release. He has lapses in accuracy which has lead to some Fitzpatrick-like INTs, one of which you will see to end the game. Since he was "thrown" into this game after spending the season as a backup, there is a lot of conservative underneath passing -- a gameplan we will probably see this Sunday.

Orton 30/46 358yds 2TD 2INT

Kyle Orton vs Philadelphia Eagles

Edit: fixed link

Thanks for the vid. Had no luck finding it myself.

Also, not to be overlooked, his mobility is really not that awful. He moves around the pocket fairly well, good awareness. He got rid of the ball quickly, even took off for a 14 yard scramble.

He doesn't stare down so much as knowing who should be open by reading the defense pre-snap. It appears he goes to many second and third options as well. Not much accuracy on the deep balls, though he did warm the bench all year. Witten and Dez certainly didnt hurt either. We don't have anyone as dominant as either of them obviously, though Sammy certainly has the potential if he gets space. Dump offs to CJ could also be exciting again... Who knows, maybe he might cut up the field instead of outside for once. The touch on the dump off to Murray to avoid the sack with ~5 mins left in the 1st quarter was great to see.

The biggest issue, as already pointed out, will be the lack of time. That Cowboys offensive line did a decent job in pass protection.

Edited by SmokinES3

Good post, makes breaking down his play last year much easier!!! His quick decision making shows in his accuracy in short to intermediate throws... good footwork, but definitely got away with one throw off his back foot. Faster straight ahead speed than I remember... Deep ball is not there, although he puts one right on the money early in the game... Maybe his overthrows will be closer with our receiver speed... One thing I take away from this is that Chandler will probably see more balls thrown his way this week than he has all season long combined... I lost count, but it seemed like Witten caught about 12-15 passes...

Chandler will need to put his big boy pants on this week!

Hopefully Goodwin is back and able to help contribute because Orton has a big enough arm to get it downfield. I wouldn't doubt that the Bills take quite a few shots deep to try and loosen up the secondary and get the run game to the second level. Orton has the poise to stand in a little longer and take those shots deep which should help the offensive gameplan overall.

The one deep pass to Bryant in the second half down the left sideline looked like a perfect throw. Bryant was knocked off his route a few yards earlier which made it look like an overthrow, but I bet it would have hit him right in stride. He really had a good game overall. If we get that game out of him, we can win 7-8 of the last 12.