What the "experts" are saying about Bills/Lions

CodeMonkey

CBS with Detroit a 7.5 point favorite: 5 taking the Lions and 3 taking the Bills.

CBS straight up: All 8 and the computer taking the Lions.

ESPN straight up: All 14 including the computer taking the Lions.

Nate Silvers ELo rating system has the Lions winning with the ELo spread at Lions -5.5.

Edited by CodeMonkey

We MAY have a better feel for our chances by the end of practice today and tomorrow for sure. If, as I suspect, there's a genuine upturn in enthusiasm on offense, simply because EJ ISNT at QB, then the possibility of playing very well Sunday increases significantly. I really expect a big turnaround in the way our WR corps goes about their job this week.

Also hoping for good news on the injury front.

Take the Bills and the points....Detroits D doesn't know how to prepare for Orton the way Houston boxed EJ up - understanding he is quick to check down. Do that against Orton, and you might pay for it....Detroit wins, but it won't be easy.

I had this down as a probable loss all along (sad but true). Would EJ have improved given the pressure he'd have been under in Detriot? I doubt it. Will Orton change an 'L' into a 'W'? I doubt that too. But what really matters is the following week. We are still (joint) top of the AFC East and MUST beat the Pats if we are to save our season. This way Orton gets a chance to work with the team in a real game, plus an extra week of practice as the starter. I reckon that does improve our chances against New England.

I had this down as a probable loss all along (sad but true). Would EJ have improved given the pressure he'd have been under in Detriot? I doubt it. Will Orton change an 'L' into a 'W'? I doubt that too. But what really matters is the following week. We are still (joint) top of the AFC East and MUST beat the Pats if we are to save our season. This way Orton gets a chance to work with the team in a real game, plus an extra week of practice as the starter. I reckon that does improve our chances against New England.

I really hope Hackett paid attention to how KC ran on the Patriots... sigh. I bet we'll see Orton throw 50 times.

The Lions are what we thought they were. Theyre what we thought they were. We played them in preseason -- who the hell takes a third game of the preseason like its bull ****? bull ****! We played them in the third game -- everybody played three quarters -- the Lions are who we thought they were! Thats why we took the damn field. Now if you want to crown them, then crown their ass! But they are who we thought they were! And we let them off the hook!

Edited by r00tabaga

If nothing else, I am anxious to see how big a difference a different QB makes with our line, WR's and play calling. Orton hasn't played in a while, no training camp, so you would almost have to expect him to have some rust. I am just anxious to see how these receivers look, if they are getting passes delivered to them in the optimum time and space they need to do their thing. I really hope Orton provides a spark.

If it means anything, Trent Dilfer, after bagging on EJ (perplexed that the Bills drafted him #1, even more perplexed that they started him right away) thinks that the combination of Orton taking over the reigns of the offense, and New Englands' seeming demise, makes the Bills his favorite, after 4 weeks, to win the AFC East.

Week 5 NFL Picks: Can Patriots take down undefeated Bengals?: http://link.si.com/5...PoQ7QrsTXwA72c8

lions-bills-week-5.jpg

So Buffalo rookie receiver Sammy Watkins says Bills pass-catchers have to adjust to new starting quarterback Kyle Orton because "he reads it quicker, the ball is coming out faster." Exactly. That’s a big reason why Buffalo head coach Doug Marrone benched EJ Manuel and went with the veteran Orton. Manuel’s inability to read the field and make quick, quality decisions was his undoing, and it has been the nagging concern about his game since he arrived via the first round in 2013. Orton will bring an increased level of execution and competency to the offense, but not enough this week to beat a surprising 3-1 Lions team that is starting to establish a well-disciplined identity under new head coach Jim Caldwell. I’m sure Bills defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz dreams of getting out of Ford Field with a game ball in his return to Motown, but I don’t see a storybook ending unfolding for him.

I'm an expert and I'm picking the Bills to win.

Do you know as much as Marshal Faulk?

Colin Cowherd took the Bills and the points as a steal and thought they might win outright. He may be the only one in that corner. I feel better about this than I should, I'm sure. That's the best way to optimize the hurt.

If there is a team that has a habit of disappointing fans as much as the Bills it is the Lions.

Bills rally around the under dog label and win on a 54 yard field goal 27 24. Orton has Bill Os cereal in Tops.

They are a rip off of honey nut Cheerios but not that bad.

I'll be surprised if we get picked at all, honestly. Playing on the road after a QB change, against one of the better teams in the NFL? Yeah, it's gonna be an ugly Sunday.

I don't think so. I think it will be a close one no matter who wins. I think this team has more character and depth than it used to, and they won't just lay down

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

It'll be a tough game and to be honest I don't really expect the Bills to win it but I wouldn't be too surprised if they did. The Lions are the number 1 defense in the nfl and their d-line will wreck our o-line.

The interior of their DL with Suh and Fairley against our Guards is the biggest matchup nightmare we may see all season. Last week was total disaster dealing with Watt with 9 QB hits and outside of Watt, we didnt have as much to worry about along the DL. Detroit duo is as good if not better than our duo of K. Williams (if healthy) and Dareus....

With how poorly our guards have played and with having Cyril making just his 2nd start and Pears looking like a tree that stands still out there. I hope Wood and whomever we line up in backfield have outstanding game blocking the rush coming right up gut to Orton;s face. Hopefully Orton will be smarter than EJ and make quick reads and get ball out quick and we let our WR's and Rb's finally show what they got without having a QB that's trying to decapitate them with errant throws!

Carolina sacked Stafford 4 times and hit em another 7 times. Johnson and Hardy didn't even record a tackle in that game. Our def line matches up with them so we need to take that gameplan and just get after stafford. I'd think they would want to sit megatron this week with a road game against a bad minny team next week, then new orleans and atlanta. The workload is going to reggie bush...I don't think we have to stack the box for him...although he can catch a screen very well. Get after stafford and we can take this game. 5 sacks, 8 qb hits and the game is over.