EJ benched, Orton to start.

JÂy RÛßeÒ

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO this is as much about Sammy Watkins as it is about EJ.

Everyone saw Sammy "take a play off" two weeks ago after Goodwin got blown up, and then come in and drop two more passes yesterday, plus wisely decide not to lay out for a floater in the fourth quarter. EJ has been putting receiver after receiver into harm's way and the Bills probably decided they want Watkins on the field for the rest of the season... something that is unlikely to happen with EJ under center.

Whether EJ is done is something I'm not really concerned about. I'm just glad we finally treated him like a player who needs to earn his job, rather than as a first-rounder who needs to play his way out of one.

However, Hackett is still the offensive coordinator, can we expect things to be that much different with Orton under center?

Well, if Orton doesn't throw into double coverage PAST two wide open crossing routes, then yes, we could expect things might be different with Orton. Any QB that can even begin to process what's happening after the snap when it doesn't involve a CB falling down or someone being open in all directions by 8+ yards will be an improvement. I think the play calling is far less of a problem than not taking advantage of receivers who get open.

I was expecting this maybe next week, but let's go Orton. If he plays well this week they will look like geniuses. If he craps the bed, they will say it was the #1 D on the road in an impossible win, and then give him two more chances at home against the Pats and on the road against The Jets. So maybe this was the right time, just in case he has it down already, and the rest of the team steps up.