Anyone else tired of hearing about Derek jeter?

major

Right now, his last week/home game is fine and deserving of the hype and pomp and circumstance. Especially now that the Yankees are eliminated.

These farewell tours reek of Steiner and the athlete making big bucks on the merch at the expense of the on field results. The multiple ceremonies/gifts in all the ballparks is unnecessary, and the shameless over the top pomp and circumstance at the all-star game while completely ignoring recently passed Tony Gwynn didnt sit well with me. Then you have the Yankees in a race for their lives with multiple ceremonies like the one earlier in the month with Michael Jordan and all that hoopla. Cheesy gatorade commercials and that Re2pect thing... gag. For months you would think Peyton Manning, Wayne Gretzky, Michael Jordan, Superman, and Mother Theresa all rolled into one died or something.

So all of it and the complete inflation of Jeter as both a player and a person over months has worn on many people who aren't a Yankees fans, and I actually know a few Yankees fans who have been pressed into a bit of cynicism over 2 years of this whole thing.

Here is a good column that sheds light on the other side of this. http://nypost.com/20...mes-out-on-top/

Edited by May Day 10

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah and I have been for about 3 years now or whenever it was he negotiated his last contract. Over the hill, over hyped, narcist. He cost that team a lot over last few years.

Yeah exactly his frail body couldnt hold. And even though his on base percent was good he had no range in the field. Unacceptable for a short stop . all the while soaking up big bucks and delaying finding their SS of the future.

Other than the fact that everything you've written is undeniably false, great posts.

Times I've heard about Derek Jeter in the last week? 1

Times I've heard people complaining about hearing about Derek Jeter in the past week? 10+

And Olbermann is a douche of the highest order. I didn't watch his piece, but if he's annoyed by the adulation, then I say pile it on. All Jeter all the time baby!

I've been fortunate enough to have a few pretty awesome Yankee moments in my younger life. First professional baseball game I ever went to was in the Bronx to watch my favorite player at the time (Dave Winfield), this was when the Yanks were terrible. Bleacher seats, half empty ball park, Winfield hits one out and I got the ball. I waited after the game for Winfield to come out and got it signed. From that moment on, I was a Yankee fan for life.

Since that time I've been to a lot of Yankee games at various ballparks all over the country. The highlight being the ALCS in Anaheim a few years back when I lucked into seats a row behind the Yankee dugout. The game was a rout, which was a bummer because I didn't get to see Mo pitch (somehow, despite seeing over 30+ games in person over Rivera's career I NEVER got to see him close live, it became comical) but I did get to talk to Jeter for a solid five minutes after the game. I never expected to have a Yankee moment top my first, but those five minutes sure did.

Seeing the Captain play all those years was a gift. I don't mind a farewell tour in the least.

I think he is deserving of all the attention and media fawning. Not a fan of the Yankees whatsoever but I appreciate his talent and greatness. I add to that his character was always above reproach in an era where we ended up questioning everything thanks to Palmerio, McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, etc in an era where everything was awesome and nobody was happy.

All that being said, he should have hung it up last year and skipped the year long farewell tour. The Yankees were at best mediocre, and I think for a player of his caliber, that farewell tour had to be absolute agony to live through. Should have just dropped the mic at the end of the season.

Times I've heard about Derek Jeter in the last week? 1

Times I've heard people complaining about hearing about Derek Jeter in the past week? 10+

And Olbermann is a douche of the highest order. I didn't watch his piece, but if he's annoyed by the adulation, then I say pile it on. All Jeter all the time baby!

Right on all counts!

Probably right, but last year belonged to Mariano. They both deserved their separate farewell tours. Not saying its right by the business of the game but it's right by the history of the game.

I think he is deserving of all the attention and media fawning. Not a fan of the Yankees whatsoever but I appreciate his talent and greatness. I add to that his character was always above reproach in an era where we ended up questioning everything thanks to Palmerio, McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, etc in an era where everything was awesome and nobody was happy.

All that being said, he should have hung it up last year and skipped the year long farewell tour. The Yankees were at best mediocre, and I think for a player of his caliber, that farewell tour had to be absolute agony to live through. Should have just dropped the mic at the end of the season.

It's the home finale for NY, so most likely going to be a big ceremony. There is rain in the forecast for tonight's game, the game isn't insignificant, so no make up date if rained out. Wouldn't that be something.... :w00t:

What happens to people who buy tickets? Is there a MLB rule where they get their money back? Or credit to another game next year?

On the day the Pegula approval was announced, I turned on ESPN to one of their NFL specific hour shows, thinking they'd spend some time talking about it. They did, for all of 1 minute. The rest of the hour was all Ray Rice.

To be fair, did you see long segments for other new owners?