Anyone else tired of hearing about Derek jeter?

major

I don't want it to come off wrong but it seems like the trend is "he was a great guy off the field - no one women have accused him of rape or beating them and he didn't fail any drug tests!"

I don't know much off the field beyond his impressive list of hookups - anyone care to give some of his actual accomplishments in that area? (Not saying they didn't exist at all- just not familiar and the tone of the praise made me curious). Is it charm plus lack of accusations or did he really excel in the community?

Well I will say first and foremost being able to keep his nose clean in NYC where they are constantly digging for dirt would be reason #1. That said there is the Turn 2 Foundation, then there is this page highlighting his charitable work, but above all else he is the quintessential example of doing things the right way. He never got a DWI, he never had domestic issues, never cheated on his wife, never did any of the things that we as fans say what was that guy thinking?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I will say first and foremost being able to keep his nose clean in NYC where they are constantly digging for dirt would be reason #1. That said there is the Turn 2 Foundation, then there is this page highlighting his charitable work, but above all else he is the quintessential example of doing things the right way. He never got a DWI, he never had domestic issues, never cheated on his wife, never did any of the things that we as fans say what was that guy thinking?

thanks for the extra info.... ill have to check out some of his stuff you linked

though i dont think "no dui, and didnt beat up his gf" is much to earn praise. that an unmarried guy didnt cheat on his wife is part of the praise almost cheapens the argument that hes a good guy - if that makes sense.

I don't want it to come off wrong but it seems like the trend is "he was a great guy off the field - no one women have accused him of rape or beating them and he didn't fail any drug tests!"

I don't know much off the field beyond his impressive list of hookups - anyone care to give some of his actual accomplishments in that area? (Not saying they didn't exist at all- just not familiar and the tone of the praise made me curious). Is it charm plus lack of accusations or did he really excel in the community?

I don't know much about Jeter aside from the fact he was a good,clean, player. A role model, but I hate the Yanks. So no emtio al attachment to his team. but the bigger question now that he fades into history is. Did he really give out gift baskets to all the babes when they left his house?

I don't know much about Jeter aside from the fact he was a good,clean, player. A role model, but I hate the Yanks. So no emtio al attachment to his team. but the bigger question now that he fades into history is. Did he really give out gift baskets to all the babes when they left his house?

Looks like he's denying it now, but I was going to jokingly post it as an answer to No Saint's question:

The New York Post's Emily Smith reported in 2011 that Jeter would order a car to take the women home the next day and that they'd have baskets filled with objects, such as a signed baseball from the Yankees captain, waiting for them.

The Post, quoting an unnamed friend of Jeter, reported he once gave the same girl the a gift basket twice.

But, according to New York Magazine, Jeter said that's not his style.

From the magazine:

“Like I’m giving them signed baseballs and pictures of myself on the way out! Who comes up with a story like that?” (Jeter) laughs, incredulous. “It said the reason people found out was because I gave the same girl the same basket and I had forgotten I’d given her one—like there are so many people coming through I forgot!”

Looks like he's denying it now, but I was going to jokingly post it as an answer to No Saint's question:

The New York Post's Emily Smith reported in 2011 that Jeter would order a car to take the women home the next day and that they'd have baskets filled with objects, such as a signed baseball from the Yankees captain, waiting for them.

The Post, quoting an unnamed friend of Jeter, reported he once gave the same girl the a gift basket twice.

From the magazine:

“Like I’m giving them signed baseballs and pictures of myself on the way out! Who comes up with a story like that?” (Jeter) laughs, incredulous. “It said the reason people found out was because I gave the same girl the same basket and I had forgotten I’d given her one—like there are so many people coming through I forgot!”

I don't buy it, he's too cheap

I just talked to my parents(mid 70's) who got home(in Syracuse) from their trip to Yankee Stadium at 430 this morning and to hear the excitement about last nights game was something pretty cool, my dad is a lifelong yankee fan and he sounded like a little kid talking about the atmosphere and excitement from the game. What amazed me most was that they bought from a local syracuse trip planner in april and paid @125.00/each for, bus trip and tickets, tickets were face value $22 and they provided bagels and soft drinks before boarding. talk about a bargain!

From the magazine:

Deadspin has a reference to this in a recent article that I won't post (as it describes tasks performed to earn said basket) ((and has a pretty terrible/hilarious comic book sketch to go with it))