4th and 1 or pin the deep?

cage

I missed this call while watching the game at a bar as they had the volume on a different game. I didn't understand this choice until the write-ups afterwards. I guess I'm dumbstruck by how you don't take the shot on 4th-1 from the Charger 43. Any coach of a play-off team would have taken the offside penalty, gone for it and converted. I think I disagree with Sullivan that this showed lack of confidence in EJ as much as lack of confidence in OL and RBs to pick up a damn yard!

I missed this call while watching the game at a bar as they had the volume on a different game. I didn't understand this choice until the write-ups afterwards. I guess I'm dumbstruck by how you don't take the shot on 4th-1 from the Charger 43. Any coach of a play-off team would have taken the offside penalty, gone for it and converted. I think I disagree with Sullivan that this showed lack of confidence in EJ as much as lack of confidence in OL and RBs to pick up a damn yard!

Considering Summers blasted a third and short , so It wasn't lack of confidence in RBs. Should have went for it though.

100% agree with all of you. Winning teams take their chances on 4th and 1 at the opponents 40ish. When you play good teams, with good offenses you have to take some chances to get points on the board because you aren't shutting them down. You were already down double digits at this point and it was a good opportunity to cut that lead. At the very least you run to the line and hard count. There is zero justification for not at least doing that.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

It was obvious they were playing conservatively. I would have liked to see them go for it.,.. Perhaps next time will be different

Perhaps the bigger problem is to ask what is wrong w/ our running game. If you remove 3 long runs, 1 each by Spiller, Jackson, Dixon, then the YPA is below 3. In the preseason there was lots of complaining about the lack of scoring, but there were a few drives stopped on short yardage failures. In the Dolphins game there's complaints about red zone issues, but there were several drives again stopped by the inability to pick up short 3rd downs on the run.

Why can't our 33x lb OL run block anymore and bad-asses like Dixon and Jackson be counted on to pick up 1-2 yards on 3rd or 4th down?

Just another example of the lack of in-game management.

I also didn't like his clock management and lack of situational awareness at the end of the 1st half.

It was a disgraceful call by Marrone, exactly the type of gutless, play-not-to-lose garbage we have seen from Williams/Mularkey/Jauron/Gailey the past 15 years. Not only that, as someone else pointed out, going for the first down in that situation is strongly supported by the numbers. The "conservative" call is exactly the wrong call, from an analytics and statistical standpoint. Just one more indication that Marrone is in over his head and probably needs to go.

I agree, I didn't understand the choice until I read the play-by-play after the game. I think you go for it 4th and 1 and I agree, the OL and RBs need to be able to pick up a yard whenever it's needed, that's NOT on EJ

Perhaps the bigger problem is to ask what is wrong w/ our running game. If you remove 3 long runs, 1 each by Spiller, Jackson, Dixon, then the YPA is below 3. In the preseason there was lots of complaining about the lack of scoring, but there were a few drives stopped on short yardage failures. In the Dolphins game there's complaints about red zone issues, but there were several drives again stopped by the inability to pick up short 3rd downs on the run.

Why can't our 33x lb OL run block anymore and bad-asses like Dixon and Jackson be counted on to pick up 1-2 yards on 3rd or 4th down?

Thought Dixon was out for this game?

Anyway, agree - any team which desires to be contenders has to be able to bang out 3rd or 4th and 1 and that's on the coaches, OL, and RB

Edited by Hopeful

you absolutely punt....also the clock management at the end of half..SD has the ball clock running down 1:30 last thing you want to do is help them ..it's third down they convert now there are 42 seconds left----there is nothing you could have done in that spot and to criticize that shows you don't have a grasp on the game. Analytics from a league stand point ?, from a match up stand pont? from a these players of the chargers versus these players of the bills ? again you punt the football

you absolutely punt....also the clock management at the end of half..SD has the ball clock running down 1:30 last thing you want to do is help them ..it's third down they convert now there are 42 seconds left----there is nothing you could have done in that spot and to criticize that shows you don't have a grasp on the game. Analytics from a league stand point ?, from a match up stand pont? from a these players of the chargers versus these players of the bills ? again you punt the football

Have you heard of analytics? Do you know what it is? The fact that you are actually advocating punting in that situation shows you "don't have a grasp on the game." Punting in that situation is losing football, plain and simple. It is what the Bills have done regularly for the last 15 years and it is a big part of their culture of losing.