4th and 1 or pin the deep?

cage

I understand why he did that. I wish he had gone for it.

Does anybody remember the New England game in 02....we were tied for first place, and at home. Down by 7 or something like that, 4th and 2 from the New England 31. What do you do? Kick a field goal into the wind? Trust your offense to get you 2 yards?

No, you're Gregg Williams. You punt. Result a 12 yard punt.

Most gutless call I had ever seen.

In that game, New England ran about 16 successful screen passes against our pretty good defense. Every single one worked. It is as if they knew our defensive calls. Of course, they did. That's how they won the game.

Hindsight is 20/20 and it is not an easy call by any means. They chose to punt and the Chargers made them pay for it. Who knows what would have happened if they had taken the offsides and gone for it. Might have been a whole different game.

Does anybody remember the New England game in 02....we were tied for first place, and at home. Down by 7 or something like that, 4th and 2 from the New England 31. What do you do? Kick a field goal into the wind? Trust your offense to get you 2 yards?

In that game, New England ran about 16 successful screen passes against our pretty good defense. Every single one worked. It is as if they knew our defensive calls. Of course, they did. That's how they won the game.

i dont know if its gutless -- i think gregg just wasnt very smart.

This is for anybody advocating to punt; you would have at least ran a hard count in that situation -right?

or the often forgotten "get a moderately creative formation or personnel group and make them line up and see if you see a mismatch somewhere"

Thank you for some perspective TC.

Folks might be picking nits here . Thats fine by me , but there is different merit either way you choose. The whole game was too conservative for me .

But some people across the boards have been calling for Marrones beheading ?

This is for anybody advocating to punt; you would have at least ran a hard count in that situation -right?

ooops

note to self....

Edited by 3rdand12

Sully criticized Marrone on this in his column today. (I think either way was OK on this one)

And, then later in it, he said Marrone should have gone for an onsides kick after the safety...........I didn't even know that was legal, since I had never seen it. But, wouldn't it be even harder to do than usual when you're punting?

Sully criticized Marrone on this in his column today. (I think either way was OK on this one)

And, then later in it, he said Marrone should have gone for an onsides kick after the safety...........I didn't even know that was legal, since I had never seen it. But, wouldn't it be even harder to do than usual when you're punting?

It's a free kick so you can do whatever you want. Teams usually punt because of the hang time.