Vikings place Peterson on exempt list

Freddie's Dead

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If AP did what he was accused of, why can't NFL wait til legal case is adjudicated and then go from there? You know, like they did with the Beast's DWI thing. In the newly reported case, no charges were even filed. Doesn't mean he didn't do it, but at least it would be a somewhat fair repeatable process.

Or once charges are filed, he's suspended until the case is adjudicated?

NFL has to be careful, or they could have a lot guys out on suspension.

If AP did what he was accused of, why can't NFL wait til legal case is adjudicated and then go from there? You know, like they did with the Beast's DWI thing. In the newly reported case, no charges were even filed. Doesn't mean he didn't do it, but at least it would be a somewhat fair repeatable process.

The NFL could care less about fairness and process (that is why they set up a process which allows Goodell to whatever he wants). Its simply a matter of time til Dead Man Walking Goodell gets thrown under the bus.

Basically what the team owners care about is making the biggest buck possible. The other frontline stakeholder in this is the NFLPA which has now placed itself in the anti-Roger zone by appealing the Rice decision not in defense of Rice but opposing the non-process which allows Roger to punsish him multiple times for the same crime.

Roger got the big buck because when the house falls apart he takes the hit. He is a goner.

There is no consistency in the NFL's policy towards breaking the law. Its maddening. What happens if one of these cases get a verdict of not guilty. What would stop one of the players from turning around and suing the NFL for this?

I don't condone child abuse or the abuse of women by men, but this is a slippery slope. If there is a vindicitive GF or vindictive wife that wants to get back at a certain player, they can scream domestic violence. With this precedent set forth, they will be suspended until the legal matter is tried and a judgement made. This sounds more like guilty until proven innocent.

I don't like the way things are going.

The Viking leadership is a joke. Bowing to "public pressure" never turns out well in the end, because then you have to wonder who is really controlling things, and you're subject to every demand when some nutjob group says do it for "social good."

The NFL is also pretty pathetic, as already stated above, with their total inconsistency on these types of matters. Although I guess we shouldn't be too surprised, I mean they've been doing the same thing with holding & pass interference calls for decades now. LOL

Edited by John in Jax

The NFL could care less about fairness and process (that is why they set up a process which allows Goodell to whatever he wants). Its simply a matter of time til Dead Man Walking Goodell gets thrown under the bus.

Basically what the team owners care about is making the biggest buck possible. The other frontline stakeholder in this is the NFLPA which has now placed itself in the anti-Roger zone by appealing the Rice decision not in defense of Rice but opposing the non-process which allows Roger to punsish him multiple times for the same crime.

Roger got the big buck because when the house falls apart he takes the hit. He is a goner.

I agree. This is a large story not written about. The whole Rice appeal is about the contract the NFL and NFLPA signed and exactly what you stated.

I would hope (yeah I know :doh:) that the NFL would create a repeatable process, but unfortunately with $$ being the #1 issue, this can't happen. Also you know the NFLPA wants a repeatable process, because at the rate they're going there will be a suspension without merit (or indictment) that the league will be held liable for in the future.

The Viking leadership is a joke. Bowing to "public pressure" never turns out well in the end, because then you have to wonder who is really controlling things, and you're subject to every demand when some nutjob group says do it for "social good."

The NFL is also pretty pathetic, as already stated above, with their total inconsistency on these types of matters. Although I guess we shouldn't be too surprised, I mean they've been doing the same thing with holding & pass interference calls for decades now. LOL

What Peterson did is stomach turning for the majority of Americans. To the point where the public blowback from the Vikings jaw dropping decision to let him come back made sponsors start putting warnings out there for the NFL that they are not happy. That’s how it works in the private sector where you depend on the public watching advertisers products on TV. There are no black and white rules and it’s a case by case situation. As an example, see how the Redskins name change issue has not resonated with the public to the point where there’s real outrage and the gears are in motion for any change? 4 year olds are completely defenseless. Right minded people know that, and when they saw those pictures they knew that Peterson was guilty as charged. Due process simply doesn’t matter in this case. Peterson did not show that 4 year old any mercy and the public is giving back to him their version of not showing any mercy.

It would be real nice if, now that this issue has come to the forefront, the NFL would do a full investigate into Nike’s production habits. I hear that there are still sweatshops where there's horrible conditions with beatings in some places and also still possibly using child labor. Its 2014 and if Nike can’t get a handle on the outside shops making their products then it’s time to bring production to America or the NFL should stop using Nike and change to a brand that is totally clean of "sweatshop" practices.

This was the right move. Peterson already admitted that it was him, and the evidence is clear as day. The Vikings screwed it up the first time but they made it right today.

This was not my point. My point is, this is a slippery slope. Someone can easily doctor up a photo and present it as evidence to take a player out for weeks while the legal process takes its time because of the social media factor. I'm not saying that this is happening here, but it could lead to vindicitive people who want to hurt the player any way they can. Why not hurt them where it hurts the most? Their job, their lively hood, since its just soo easy to get people to feel symptathy and so easy for those people to pursuade the powers that be to suspend players for it?

There is no consistency in the NFL's policy towards breaking the law. Its maddening. What happens if one of these cases get a verdict of not guilty. What would stop one of the players from turning around and suing the NFL for this?

I don't condone child abuse or the abuse of women by men, but this is a slippery slope. If there is a vindicitive GF or vindictive wife that wants to get back at a certain player, they can scream domestic violence. With this precedent set forth, they will be suspended until the legal matter is tried and a judgement made. This sounds more like guilty until proven innocent.

I don't like the way things are going.

^^^THIS!!!!

I understand that while the NFL is getting black eyes left and right with this bad PR, each case is different.... Some may be innocent, some may be guilty... Let due process take it's course, then take the appropriate action... That seems like a no brainer to me!!!

I agree. The legal system can drag on for years, too. Meanwhile, Ray McDonald (filed charges) and Greg Hardy (actually convicted, but appealed and requested a jury trial under NC law) are still suiting up, along with a bunch of others

It's the total inconsistency that bothers me. "Ooooh, that looks bad, pictures on the internet, throw that guy out on his ass" "just 'cuz there was a bunch of witnesses and the guy actually had his day in court and was convicted but hey there's a loophole in the law so let's wait" is NOT any kind of a reasonable process that anyone, fans or players, can respect.

Goodell created a disciplinary system whereby he was the judge and jury. And then he managed a punishment system that was not only inconsistent but it lurched back and forth in reacting to outside pressure. It was a seat of the pants judicial approach to incidents.The end result is that the league is struggling to gain control of the situation, individual teams are handling incidents differently fromne another and the players are upset that they don't have much say in the process.

This storm of criticism over the Ray Rice domestic assault case could have been avoided if he meted out a punishment that was more appropriate for this brutal assault. It is rarely a wise approach to take in a large organization for one person to have so much authority. Even if the person in authority is full of wisdom the unbalanced level of power eventually leads to abuse or a tone deafness as to what is the best approach to take.

The irony is that the commissioner, who probably was acting out of compassion, did Ray Rice no favors when he administered a very lenient punishment. If he would have been more stern Ray Rice would be in a better position to return to the field sooner. Now he is a public pariah and there is a possibility that he won't ever return to play in the league.

The NFL is in deep Shite right now and the beating of a 4 year old kid is beyond human scum in my book. If that was Spiller, I would have no problem if he was cut from the team immediately. The NFL has turned a blind eye waaaay too long so thank goodness the one thing that could turn this around is taking place....sponsors.

This was not my point. My point is, this is a slippery slope. Someone can easily doctor up a photo and present it as evidence to take a player out for weeks while the legal process takes its time because of the social media factor. I'm not saying that this is happening here, but it could lead to vindicitive people who want to hurt the player any way they can. Why not hurt them where it hurts the most? Their job, their lively hood, since its just soo easy to get people to feel symptathy and so easy for those people to pursuade the powers that be to suspend players for it?

How does placing Peterson on the exempt list create a precedent for other cases?

They're completely separate.

Edited by BlueFire