Vikings place Peterson on exempt list

Freddie's Dead

No, I can't.

The contract says nothing about guilt or innocence...it is also not in dispute that every NFL contract has boiler plate language regarding code of conduct, representing the league etc. The NFL and the team are hardly on thin ice putting AP on PAID leave after a review of the details of the case and as well the cost of reputation lost.

This is a case of the court of public opinion not a court of law and the Vikings have acted accordingly. If they were not in accordance with the contract the NFLPA would be suing.

Do you have AP in your FF team?

No, I dont have AP in any of my FF leagues, I tend to stay away from aging RBs, though he continues to prove me wrong when he plays. See above for the real issue here.

As I acknowledged in my prior post, the NFL wasn't ready for this firestorm and that's their fault. But now it's here and they need to figure out some way to deal with it. Doing a poor job up until now doesn't mean they should stop disciplining those who deserve it.

I was wrong to type that. I apologize.

It doesn't matter if it gets front page news or not. If your employer knows you committed a felony, you're going to be fired. And if you hold a high paying/high profile job than yes, you ARE held to a higher standard and you ARE going to be judged more quickly and more harshly because of the negative attention you bring to your organization.

AP is going to get his due process in a court of law. What his employer does is a completely different matter. And if you want to equate the two, than consider that felons are often put in prison before being convicted.

You commit a felony and are proven guilty (Greg Hardy) then by all means, you need to be fired and never play again. I agree with that. I also agree that the NFL did what it had to do. The problem it all boils down to is the court of public opinion. It's a dangerous road to do what the court of public opinion wants you to do. That leads to what we have now, guilty until proven innocent.

A post above I said this:

"I'm saying theres an intrinsic problem with the court of public opinion swaying things so much. Often times, people react on feelings and don't have the facts in hand. Their views are skewed, and they want to roast and skewer the person who is "wrong" in their opinion without any intelligent thought to it. This is a problem."

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL could care less about fairness and process (that is why they set up a process which allows Goodell to whatever he wants). Its simply a matter of time til Dead Man Walking Goodell gets thrown under the bus.

Basically what the team owners care about is making the biggest buck possible. The other frontline stakeholder in this is the NFLPA which has now placed itself in the anti-Roger zone by appealing the Rice decision not in defense of Rice but opposing the non-process which allows Roger to punsish him multiple times for the same crime.

Roger got the big buck because when the house falls apart he takes the hit. He is a goner.

Because beating the shiiiite out of your 4 year old with an effing stick is a lot different than clipping a drunk girl dancing in the rain. Not to mention reports are that this could take nearly a year to sort out.

Everybody is calling for the NFL to wait and see. For what? They saw the pictures, he even admitted it. By all means take those pictures to your current employer, tell them you did that to your 4 year old, have been indicted by a grand jury. See if they wait the year for your legal proceedings to be wrapped up.

Because beating the shiiiite out of your 4 year old with an effing stick is a lot different than clipping a drunk girl dancing in the rain. Not to mention reports are that this could take nearly a year to sort out.

Everybody is calling for the NFL to wait and see. For what? They saw the pictures, he even admitted it. By all means take those pictures to your current employer, tell them you did that to your 4 year old, have been indicted by a grand jury. See if they wait the year for your legal proceedings to be wrapped up.

Yes, the AP situation is a little different, he admitted to doing what he did and the pictures substantiate it (which he has not denied either), so I think his case is open and shut. Just the little grey area of what constitutes child abuse and what doesnt. To me, open abbrasions on his skin in multiple places IS child abuse. What does the system think?

This is precisely the problem, "The court of public opinion" which is backwards and messed up. We're in a NOW NOW NOW generation, and its causing the right of due process to disappear. You're instantly judged w/o facts, that's a sad state of affairs.

I would agree with you otherwise, but the difference in these two cases is that we have lots of facts, and we have the critical facts. We have the pictures of the Peterson child and the Rice video. Without that evidence, this story would have been long over and ignored.

As far as the public's instant reaction, we see that now every day, it's just a fact of life in our hyper-connected world. But no one rights are disappearing. You've never had the right to embarrass your employer to the point of material financial loss and still expect to keep your job.

One other take on all the 'outrage': Social change doesn't come from politicians, it comes from the people who have finally seen something that needs to change. This cluster!@#$ could be a tipping point in bringing more scrutiny to domestic violence not just in the NFL (that will absolutely happen) but across society (that remains to be seen).

Edited by KD in CT

As I acknowledged in my prior post, the NFL wasn't ready for this firestorm and that's their fault. But now it's here and they need to figure out some way to deal with it. Doing a poor job up until now doesn't mean they should stop disciplining those who deserve it.

Agreed, but they've bungled it even worse now dishing out the most severe punishments they can with little thought. The NFL opened themselves up to all sorts of scrutiny. The Vikings changed direction three times on this one. Its abundantly clear that they are far less concerned with the actions of their players than the PR aspects. As long as the Vikings and the league are more focused on making it all go away it will only get worse.

The Rice incident was a great opportunity to put an actual policy in place and then act. Instead Goodell and the Ravens said let it blow over. Then came the TMZ shitstorm where they had another opportunity to put a policy in place. Instead the team and league panicked and administered the highest form of discipline available to them. And that almost made it go away. Almost. Until people recognized Goodell's actions for what they were and started asking questions about tapes, and when, and how. Then the AP news hits and the Vikes decide they need to act swiftly to avoid the storm and deactivate AP. Then thumb in the air they determine that the wind has died down and activate AP. But the storm changes course and outrage leads them to exempt him. Now the storm turns south and the calls have started for the Panthers to fall in line and exempt Hardy.

Hasty action begats hasty action. Still no coherent policy in place and worse, now the public sees precedent. Good luck rolling this one back, Roger. Expect more shitstorms as long as every situation requires immediate action instead of thoughtful action.

Minimizing domestic violence is a funny way to make a moral point.

I would agree with you otherwise, but the difference in these two cases is that we have lots of facts, and we have the critical facts. We have the pictures of the Peterson child and the Rice video. Without that evidence, this story would have been long over and ignored.

As far as the public's instant reaction, we see that now every day, it's just a fact of life in our hyper-connected world. But no one rights are disappearing. You've never had the right to embarrass your employer to the point of material financial loss and still expect to keep your job.

One other take on all the 'outrage': Social change doesn't come from politicians, it comes from the people who have finally seen something that needs to change. This cluster!@#$ could be a tipping point in bringing more scrutiny to domestic violence not just in the NFL (that will absolutely happen) but across society (that remains to be seen).

There are certainly good things that come with bad too. I recognize what's in bold, it can help to change things that are absolutely morally wrong.

TY. Nice post. Hit the nail on the head.

So I guess this means that that one Vikings message board that was sanctimoniously shut down is now back up and running? LOL

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet 1m

.@Nike says it has “suspended” its contract with Adrian Peterson. “Nike in no way condones child abuse or domestic violence of any kind.”

So there are (other) businesses out there who DO condone child abuse or domestic violence!?

So I guess this means that that one Vikings message board that was sanctimoniously shut down is now back up and running? LOL

So there are (other) businesses out there who DO condone child abuse or domestic violence!?

Yeah. Nike.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303873604579493502231397942

Edited by Jauronimo

What Peterson did is stomach turning for the majority of Americans. To the point where the public blowback from the Vikings jaw dropping decision to let him come back made sponsors start putting warnings out there for the NFL that they are not happy. That’s how it works in the private sector where you depend on the public watching advertisers products on TV. There are no black and white rules and it’s a case by case situation. As an example, see how the Redskins name change issue has not resonated with the public to the point where there’s real outrage and the gears are in motion for any change? 4 year olds are completely defenseless. Right minded people know that, and when they saw those pictures they knew that Peterson was guilty as charged. Due process simply doesn’t matter in this case. Peterson did not show that 4 year old any mercy and the public is giving back to him their version of not showing any mercy.

It would be real nice if, now that this issue has come to the forefront, the NFL would do a full investigate into Nike’s production habits. I hear that there are still sweatshops where there's horrible conditions with beatings in some places and also still possibly using child labor. Its 2014 and if Nike can’t get a handle on the outside shops making their products then it’s time to bring production to America or the NFL should stop using Nike and change to a brand that is totally clean of "sweatshop" practices.

Hope you are not using an Ipad or phone as you write this. I agree with you but have been reading some stuff about the production of those in China as well.

From the article:

The NFLPA has to stop with the unwavering support of poor behavior by its members. There should be something written into to union guidelines that states if accused of a crime we will not fight a suspension. I understand why the NFLPA does this but in my opinion there should be standards for your members to utilize the unions services.

We will stick up for you.... Unless you are in a bad spot. Then you are on your own.

I know someone else who was reported to the police for "punching her son in the face" by another motorist when she turned around to take his sippy cup at a stoplight. They had immediate photos and Dr visit to show no sign of bruising, and the witness later admitted she didn't have a clear line of sight to see what really happened, but under the law in their state if a witness report exists the case must be prosecuted. So on we went.

You are wrong or simply misstated what the law is. If there is a report of an abuse I don't doubt that the law in the state you are referencing will require an investigation. But the law certainly doesn't require a prosecution for every report of an abuse case.

Is this a joke? Only one word in this quote influenced this decision...

“It is important to always listen to our fans, the community and our sponsors”

well in theory, the fans are the community and they are the ones pressuring the sponsors.... so....

Sorry I haven't been able to weigh in on this today, but I've been busy. I heard through the grapevine that the manager of my local Food Lion got in a heated argument with his wife and things got physical. I don't know the details, but I herded up a half dozen other douche bags who also have really strong opinions about situations they don't know much about to picket the store. We won't stop until he gets what he deserves, and that's to be fired, because we decided that's what he deserves.

It's getting a little tense because his wife and kids are up here asking us to stop because if he gets fired he can't provide for them, but we know better than they do. I took a pop psych course in college and watched an episode of Oprah about this, so I know.

Anyway, I gotta get back to doing God's work but I'll keep you guys posted.

Edited by Rob's House

Sorry I haven't been able to weigh in on this today, but I've been busy. I heard through the grapevine that the manager of my local Food Lion got in a heated argument with his wife and things got physical. I don't know the details, but I herded up a half dozen other douche bags who also have really strong opinions about situations they don't know much about to picket the store. We won't stop until he gets what he deserves, and that's to be fired, because we decided that's what he deserves.

It's getting a little tense because his wife and kids are up here asking us to stop because if he gets fired he can't provide for them, but we know better than they do. I took a pop psych course in college and watched an episode of Oprah about this, so I know.

Anyway, I gotta get back to doing God's work but I'll keep you guys posted.

have you attempted boycotting food totally? a hunger strike might work to put pressure on his suppliers.