Pass Rushing Productivity

Going back 7 years, PFF graded the best Pass Rushing Productivity scores for defensive lineman. Scores were awarded for whole seasons. Scores are determined by sacks, hits & hurries as a percentage of total snaps played.

Jerry Hughes' 2013 effort was ranked 3rd best over that time among edge rushers. (Brandon Graham's 2012 season was ranked #1).

Kyle Williams' 2013 season was ranked 8th best among interior linemen.

Last year, we got two guys onto the seven year Top Ten lists which is impressive.

Can we do it again this year with Schwartz's scheme?

Btw, Mario had no season in the Top 22.

I believe we have 6 sacks so far this year. This is solid. But at this pace we'll have 48 sacks at the end of the year, somewhat less than last year's total of 57. (Of course two games is a small sample).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/07/14/pof-pass-rushing-productivity/

Going back 7 years, PFF graded the best Pass Rushing Productivity scores for defensive lineman. Scores were awarded for whole seasons. Scores are determined by sacks, hits & hurries as a percentage of total snaps played.

Jerry Hughes' 2013 effort was ranked 3rd best over that time among edge rushers. (Brandon Graham's 2012 season was ranked #1).

Last year, we got two guys onto the seven year Top Ten lists which is impressive.

I believe we have 6 sacks so far this year. This is solid. But at this pace we'll have 48 sacks at the end of the year, somewhat less than last year's total of 57. (Of course two games is a small sample).

https://www.profootb...g-productivity/

We can do it. The question is can we do it with less blitz's than last season?

on top of sacks hits and hurries I'd like to see batted balls, pocket pushes and average time qb holds ball on passing downs.

some qb's unload fast (like we did vs wake last week) due to a fierce pass rush, and this changes the entire offensive options.

i'd take all six of those factors into account and come up with a rusher rating.

sacks, hits and hurries are a wonderful thing. but if this defense doesn't generate quite as much pressure on the qb, but shuts down the run game and has good coverage and continues with the solid tackling and the occasional punishing hit, i am good with that.

Agree with you - except the part of the "occasional punishing hit" - it has seemed that every tackle these guys are putting on are punishing...this is old school 'make em hurt' type tackling and I LOVE it

Not to nit-pick, but to your last statement about fewer sacks, I will take 9 fewer sacks over the course of a season with a MUCH improved Run Defense and giving up fewer points, than those sacks...and of course, I'm not suggesting that you wouldn't either, just to make the point that fewer sacks but a better Run Defense and giving up fewer points allows the BILLS to win more games and probably be more effective overall as a Defense...but, thanks for doing the research and finding that tid-bit...

https://www.profootb...g-productivity/

I have said it many times......sack count is a wonderful thing when you have a lot of them....but what really matters are QB pressures and QB hits......

Give me a ton of pressures and hits AND holding opponents to under 100 yards rushing (like we are) any day of the week over great sack numbers

If I recall, 44 is the best Schwartz ever produced in a season at Detroit or Tennessee

wothout looking at it, here's an observation,

Hughes is peobobavly ranked as an OLB in a 3-4, not a DE. That might be why he's so high.

Kyle is a DT. Amy DT that gets 10+ sacks is going to be considered really good. Doesn't mean they can do their jobs as a DT. But they can sure be listed as probably one of the best DTs in football if they get double digit sacks.

Mario absolutely is a top 10 DE in this league. He may not get a lot of tackles and that may bring him down some. But there's almost no one else like him when it comes to rushing the passer.

I think this team is built to rush the passer, and to do it without needing a lot of extra help in in the form of blitzing. If we wind up with 40-45 sacks instead of 50+ from last year, but allow fewer rushing yards, big plays, and first downs, then I think we have hit our sweet spot.

They have allowed 1 play of more than 20 yards in the first two games and no other play of more than 18 yards...

If I recall, 44 is the best Schwartz ever produced in a season at Detroit or Tennessee

I guess that's probably true, but he's never had this D line! I love these guys! I had a friend in town last weekend who's not a Bills guy but watches a lot of football. He just kept going on and on about the defense in general and the pressure from the front four in particular. Schwartz has to be thrilled to have these guys to coach aka let loose. I get that he's not Pettine, but if we can control the run it's a welcome change.

I guess that's probably true, but he's never had this D line! I love these guys! I had a friend in town last weekend who's not a Bills guy but watches a lot of football. He just kept going on and on about the defense in general and the pressure from the front four in particular. Schwartz has to be thrilled to have these guys to coach aka let loose. I get that he's not Pettine, but if we can control the run it's a welcome change.

He's consistently had pretty good resources with guys like suh, Avril and vandenbosch (that being one trio but guys like fat albert, Jevon kearse, fairley, ansah etc....). He builds his defenses around premium lineman. We definitely have that for 2014.

All I'm saying is I wouldn't bank on a huge number- philosophically. Whether or not you you that philosophy is up to you. Has its pros and cons- but we are well built for it.

Edited by NoSaint

All I'm saying is I wouldn't bank on a huge number- philosophically. Whether or not you you that philosophy is up to you. Has its pros and cons- but we are well built for it.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I completely agree. I love that we can get pressure with our front four AND hopefully continue to stop the run. Last year's attacking style was fun to watch, but that busted play where we got gashed was not. (Don't take that as anti-Pettine, because it's not and I wish him well and hope the Browns can get out of the basement.)

We can do it. The question is can we do it with less blitz's than last season?

Well we have so far !

But Schwartz has been in the league a long time. and in a postion of authority. The guy has the ablity to play any defense i am sure. Sure I am sure .

He's been pretty mellow so far .

I suppose we can all agree that sacks are not the best stat line to consider for a defense. And blitzes are not the end all to pressure. We saw a lot of coverage pressures last week.

Should be decent game.

Thanks gosh we have a guy who can adjust well for a change

Go Bills

Oh, don't get me wrong, I completely agree. I love that we can get pressure with our front four AND hopefully continue to stop the run. Last year's attacking style was fun to watch, but that busted play where we got gashed was not. (Don't take that as anti-Pettine, because it's not and I wish him well and hope the Browns can get out of the basement.)

Just as mine wasn't anti schwartz - he's a good coach. If our front 4 stay healthy we should be in great shape. Couple guys go down and I might prefer pettines creativity to use role players to fill the gaps, but as constructed schwartz should be good for our guys.

I will say I think many of those that disliked pettines philosophy probably would've loved it if we were able to get a lead and really get after the qb to close out games more often with pressure and turnovers. It's all about finding a fit for your team though.