Pass Rushing Productivity

sacks, hits and hurries are a wonderful thing. but if this defense doesn't generate quite as much pressure on the qb, but shuts down the run game and has good coverage and continues with the solid tackling and the occasional punishing hit, i am good with that.

This

Agree with you - except the part of the "occasional punishing hit" - it has seemed that every tackle these guys are putting on are punishing...this is old school 'make em hurt' type tackling and I LOVE it

wonder if defenses are getting back to there old bruising ways since the League cracked down on hard hits? I think players may finally be cracking dudes with proper form instead of head hunting resulting in better tackling.

I think this team is built to rush the passer, and to do it without needing a lot of extra help in in the form of blitzing. If we wind up with 40-45 sacks instead of 50+ from last year, but allow fewer rushing yards, big plays, and first downs, then I think we have hit our sweet spot.

You nailed it CC. For two games to be at 57 sacks, we would need 7 by the end of week 2. We had 6. I'll take 1 less sack every 2 games to shut down the run, and cover like the way we have in the first two weeks.

If I recall, 44 is the best Schwartz ever produced in a season at Detroit or Tennessee

Petttine's highest yearly sack total was 40 with the Jets. I think there are a lot of apples and oranges in looking at the sack totals for DCs/HCs.