Best Opening Line to a Song

Chef Jim

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe all you oldtimers didn't post this:

Picture yourself in a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies....

or this:

I hear the train a comin' It's rolling round the bend and I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when,

keeping in this vein:

We got married in a fever, hotter than a pepper sprout

also:

I was born in a crossfire hurricane and I howled at my ma in the driving rain

"You can take all the tea in China, put it in a big brown bag for me..."

:thumbsup:

"If I had wings like Noah's dove, I'd fly the river to the one I love..."

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

"There must be some way out of here," said the joker to the thief.

Welcome to where time stands still, no one leaves and no one will

Camera got them images, camera got them all, nothing's shocking

“I am an Antichrist, I am an anarchist” –Sex Pistols, “Anarchy in the UK”. I sing this occasionally when Beerball listens to country in the car.

"I put it In 1st and then I punch it, listen to the engine roar." MC5, Thunder Express. Elemental rock.

"When I think back to all the crap I learned in high school, it's a wonder I can think at all." Paul Simon

"Lights Out Tonight, trouble in the heartland, got a head-on collision smashin' in my guts man, I'm caught in a crossfire that I don't understand." Springsteen

"Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused." Elvis Costello

"Twenty-twenty-twenty four hours to go I wanna be sedated." This was the ringtone assigned to Beerball's mother-in-law for many years.

:flirt:

I wanted to include a line from a Dead Boys song but BB wouldn't be amused.

“I am an Antichrist, I am an anarchist” –Sex Pistols, “Anarchy in the UK”. I sing this occasionally when Beerball listens to country in the car.

"I put it In 1st and then I punch it, listen to the engine roar." MC5, Thunder Express. Elemental rock.

"When I think back to all the crap I learned in high school, it's a wonder I can think at all." Paul Simon

"Lights Out Tonight, trouble in the heartland, got a head-on collision smashin' in my guts man, I'm caught in a crossfire that I don't understand." Springsteen

"Twenty-twenty-twenty four hours to go I wanna be sedated." This was the ringtone assigned to Beerball's mother-in-law for many years.

Who are the Dead Boys?

Yes! I meant to post this. "And I'm the world's forgotten boy

The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy." Stooges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOHOM1hVM-M

Oh my. Someone should give those poor dead boys some music and voice lessons. Never be ashamed of an education or to ask for help!

I don't know if "Kick out the jams, mf'rs" counts, but that would be my fave MC5 opening line.

:lol: Well sure,. As long as you don't care about, you know, music. But as far as looking cool and punk and all that, really great.

Dead Boys were highly influential on bands such as Pearl Jam & Guns 'N' Roses. What bands were Steely Dan influential to? The Hipsters? Captain Beyond?

Dead Boys were highly influential on bands such as Pearl Jam & Guns 'N' Roses. What bands were Steely Dan influential to? The Hipsters? Captain Beyond?

Well I think by naming the bands whom the Dead Boys were influential, you have already made my point. But I'll take the bait and say Steely Dan is mentioned as an influence, or at least as being admired, by many diverse bands and musicians. They are regularly sampled by hip-hop/rap bands, folk, jazz fusion, and rock bands alike. I can hardly think of a musician I have met that doesn't love Steely Dan. Off the top of my head musicians as diverse as, Joe Jackson, Kanye West. Steve Lukather, Mayer Hawthorne, Gov't Mule, Ben Folds, Boz Scaggs, Herbie Hancock, Rickie Lee Jones and Luciana Souza admit to being influenced by Steely Dan.

There are many tribute albums of Steely Dan songs made by respected jazz musicians and even Classical artists. College classes are taught on the music of Steely Dan.

But this isn't just about the Dead Boys versus Steely Dan (that would be ridiculous), I understand some don't like Steely Dan (though surprisingly I haven't heard many musicians who admit that), This is about music vs attitude. There are many bands/artists who contribute to the musical progression of our time. I doubt anyone ever accused the Dead Boys of having exceptional musicianship. I doubt their exceptional songwriting is what influenced Pearl Jam (I mean, how could it?).

Edited by The Dean

Well I think by naming the bands whom the Dead Boys were influential, you have already made my point. But I'll take the bait and say Steely Dan is mentioned as an influence, or at least as being admired, by many diverse bands and musicians. They are regularly sampled by hip-hop/rap bands, folk, jazz fusion, and rock bands alike. I can hardly think of a musician I have met that doesn't love Steely Dan. Off the top of my head musicians as diverse as, Joe Jackson, Kanye West. Steve Lukather, Mayer Hawthorne, Gov't Mule, Ben Folds, Boz Scaggs, Herbie Hancock, Rickie Lee Jones and Luciana Souza admit to being influenced by Steely Dan.

There are many tribute albums of Steely Dan songs made by respected jazz musicians and even Classical artists. College classes are taught on the music of Steely Dan.

But this isn't just about the Dead Boys versus Steely Dan (that would be ridiculous), I understand some don't like Steely Dan (though surprisingly I haven't heard many musicians who admit that), This is about music vs attitude. There are many bands/artists who contribute to the musical progression of our time. I doubt anyone ever accused the Dead Boys of having exceptional musicianship. I doubt their exceptional songwriting is what influenced Pearl Jam (I mean, how could it?).

My musical taste is all over the place. I love punk and new wave. I love Steely Dan; they are geniuses and will always have a place on my playlists. Springsteen. U2. Radiohead.I love the Barry Manilow live album where he does all the famous commercial jingles he wrote. I love the Spice Girls ( no, really). There's so much really good new music, too. White Denim, Silversun Pickups, Black Keys, the Toadies, etc. I rarely listen to "classic rock" any more and if I do it tends to be in the lineage of Chuck Berry, The Who, Bowie, Velvet Underground, MC5, Iggy and the Stooges, The Ramones, and The Clash. Couldn't care less about the attitude and the trappings. It's all about the backbeat and the energy, right Beer Ball honey? :)

Ut oh... Officer on deck! Misses BB is here to play!

No that's not an opening line to a song... But this is:

"Hey now you better listen to me everyone of you..."

Hell of a game... Is our fearless Mod passed out? :D

"We got a lotta, lotta, lotta, lotta work to do"....ha, must mean Miami! BB is indeed out. Big day for him.

My musical taste is all over the place. I love punk and new wave. I love Steely Dan; they are geniuses and will always have a place on my playlists. Springsteen. U2. Radiohead.I love the Barry Manilow live album where he does all the famous commercial jingles he wrote. I love the Spice Girls ( no, really). There's so much really good new music, too. White Denim, Silversun Pickups, Black Keys, the Toadies, etc. I rarely listen to "classic rock" any more and if I do it tends to be in the lineage of Chuck Berry, The Who, Bowie, Velvet Underground, MC5, Iggy and the Stooges, The Ramones, and The Clash. Couldn't care less about the attitude and the trappings. It's all about the backbeat and the energy, right Beer Ball honey? :)

I get that. [The girls don't seem to care what's on, as long as they play til dawn] Just kidding.

I actually like just about all genres of music. But I am a horrendous, self admitted, music snob, so only like about 1% of the stuff in any given genre. It's hard for me to get into music that is more about attitude than music. And by that I mean, if it seems like the musicians spend more time on their stance on stage, the way they dress (up or down), their light show, their sneer, etc, than their musicianship, I have a hard time giving a damn. I think most rock musicians need to practice more often.

With that said, some women friends of mine (the "Branch Deanians") took me to see this local punk/grunge band in San Francisco a few years ago. Much to my surprise they were pretty good. They were tight, the musicians were clearly a cut above what you hear from most of these bands, and their music was actually interesting. Just when I started to appreciate it, I noticed they were getting ready to leave. They didn't like the band. :lol: I guess they were just too good for the crowd.