Multiple Reports : Pegula IS the new owner

FluffHead

What happens to Russ when he has to answer to Kim Pegula....?

I have no idea. I think there's very little chance he's removed any time soon. The Pegulas made decide, over time, that they want someone else running the business side; I think they'll spend quite a bit of time with Brandon initially to get his feel for what's going on inside the organization. After that, who knows?

PS - how was your steak?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully they'll give Polian the #1 overall pick or a terrific QB dropped in his lap.

I'm not going to say the man is not shrewd or that he doesn't have a record of success, but the Colts teams he assembled sans Manning were pretty worrisome, especially on defense.

Those Indianapolis teams were built on Manning (most teams are built on superior QB play) but they shaded more toward the offensive side of the ball. It's why the first DC, Vic Fangio (now of SF) had to leave. The Colts allocated more resources to the offense and needed to have a T2 defense which could bend. Fangio wanted otherwise, and I think those Colts (through 2007) had a suitable strategy given their QB.

Polian wasn't perfect, and naming his kid as heir apparent at GM wasn't a wise move. But he's one of the best GM's in NFL history.

I think the Pegulas take the rest of this year to do a top to bottom evaluation of the operations.

I posted in another thread, I'd be shocked if the Pegulas fired any of the top guys in the FO in October and equally shocked if they don't fire some of the top guys in January.

As for Brandon, it's been debated to death, but, as CEO of a football team, I expect him to be involved and think he should be involved in key football personnel moves, if he's not, he's a complete a$$. As someone correctly pointed out to me, this isn't a normal corporation, the business of the Bills is football, as CEO, you would be grossly negligent if you weren't involved in key personnel moves. Maybe not the 6th round pick, but certainly the Watkins trade and the Manuel pick. Brandon should be in the room, he's earned that with his title.

I think the Pegulas take the rest of this year to do a top to bottom evaluation of the operations.

I posted in another thread, I'd be shocked if the Pegulas fired any of the top guys in the FO in October and equally shocked if they don't fire some of the top guys in January.

As for Brandon, it's been debated to death, but, as CEO of a football team, I expect him to be involved and think he should be involved in key football personnel moves, if he's not, he's a complete a$$. As someone correctly pointed out to me, this isn't a normal corporation, the business of the Bills is football, as CEO, you would be grossly negligent if you weren't involved in key personnel moves. Maybe not the 6th round pick, but certainly the Watkins trade and the Manuel pick. Brandon should be in the room, he's earned that with his title.

He would have had to of been involved in all those decisions. You can't assume otherwise.

No question he's in the room, even consulted on things like that. The only difference is that he didn't/doesn't/wouldn't overrule his football people. He just says "Is this something we need to do? Does it make us a better football team in the long run? Yes? Great, go do it." Then he trusts his football people.

Now, if too many of those types of decisions turn out to be mistakes, then he's on the hook for putting the wrong people in charge of the football side of the organization. No question about that either.

You flush because those aren't your guys. The thing that needs fixing the most is the overall culture and atmosphere of this team. Multiple quarterbacks, multiple GMs, multiple coaching staffs... The constant is the CFO, Brandon, and the overall leadership. If you want true change, you change the top. We are in fact a couple pieces away, we still will be a couple pieces away after wholesale change.

Sure you do, and in the meantime you and everyone else will be happy to wait a couple more years for the team to rebuild, all because they weren't "your" guys. <_<

Cowher has been singing the Bills praises this year. maybe the Pegula's (big ties to the Pennsylvania area) have already reached out to him. i can dream can't i?

I think that Cowher's conservative style is a disaster in today's NFL. The game has passed him by just like it did with Shanny, Wanny and Lovie. I wouldn't want Cowher. Pounding the ball between the tackles and punting from the 39 just doesn't work anymore. Gus Mahlzan is the guy. He is what's next, not what was.

I think that Cowher's conservative style is a disaster in today's NFL. The game has passed him by just like it did with Shanny, Wanny and Lovie. I wouldn't want Cowher. Pounding the ball between the tackles and punting from the 39 just doesn't work anymore. Gus Mahlzan is the guy. He is what's next, not what was.

Cowher is a leader of men and a defensive guy. But he also hired Bruce Arians as OC.

Cowher has been singing the Bills praises this year. maybe the Pegula's (big ties to the Pennsylvania area) have already reached out to him. i can dream can't i?

Whaley is also Cowher's guy. We hired Whaley because Cowher told the Bills that is who he would hire as a GM if he ever got a coaching job again.

But he also told them Gailey was a great coach.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Cowher is a leader of men and a defensive guy. But he also hired Bruce Arians as OC.

The game just moves so fast. I have not seen anyone outside of Belicheck that was successful 10+ years ago that is still successful now. There has just been SO much innovation in the last decade. You need the guys innovating in today's game. Chip Kelly, Mahlzan, Dantonio, Sumlin, and Briles are the guys moving the game forward. They are consistently moving the football with scheme, design and spacing. Dantonio is more of a traditional defensive guy but a great coach. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I agree with that.

IMO Cowher, Gruden, and Dungy would be colossal mistakes in any important role. First you would need to provide a HUGE amount of $ and power to get them out of the booth. Then, are they going to be willing to put in the life-encompassing amount of work necessary to get the job done? Will they be as hungry as someone trying to build their legacy? Has the league passed those men too much at ground level?

Would like someone like Mahlzan, Shaw (Stanford), Dantonio... dabo swinney would interest me based on the Clemson connection, but I am unsure how he translates to the NFL

Yes it has. Tough to get the passion back after how many years in the studio making 3 mil a year.

TV is too easy of money and requires 1/10 of the hours and preparation. I would hate the hire.

Whaley is also Cowher's guy. We hired Whaley because Cowher told the Bills that is who he would hire as a GM if he ever got a coaching job again.

But he also told them Gailey was a great coach.

Gailey was a great coach, as Cower's OC. Arians was a great OC and is a great HC. Whaley is doing a fine job as GM. The team has substantially more talent this year than last, except at the most important position, where we did get arguably the best FA on the market. It's time for Whaley to tell Marrone to put Orton in.