Florio on the Orton Head Scratcher

3. EJ. The hope was for EJ to make a gigantic leap this season. There's no doubt that this could still happen, but early indications are not good. Numerous reports have suggested veteran players walking into Marrone's office and informing him that EJ is simply not good enough. Failure to address the position would have lost the locker room.

Source, please? If there are indeed "numerous reports" it should not be difficult to provide some quotations or at least linkies.

Otherwise we will have to take this for simply what Dawgg " thinkies" I read a lot about the Bills and I haven't seen this suggested anywhere.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt this was a "panic move". I have to believe that the FO had been looking for alternatives at #2 QB throughout training camp, considering the way Tuel and Thad were playing. An opportunity to sign someone like Orton doesn't just happen on demand - they had to wait until he was available to them.

yep. I have no question these guys fully understand the QB situation.

this goes back to the yelling in the tunnel at marrone and all that who ha.

Marrone knew he had nothing at QB worth a bag of peanuts finally .

Hope for Manwell and thank goodness for Orton to backemup

Source, please? If there are indeed "numerous reports" it should not be difficult to provide some quotations or at least linkies.

Otherwise we will have to take this for simply what Dawgg " thinkies" I read a lot about the Bills and I haven't seen this suggested anywhere.

Well Wawrow has danced around that insinuation here.

You're just planning to ignore my link which shows he's the fourth highest paid backup?

And besides, why would you even frame this as a bad thing?

WOW how do you get whatever tour talking about from that statement?

Seriously? i don't have the link and sorry cannot be glued to the board 24/7 to "Ignore" links.

Don't have the link and dont care frankly. When he was signed it was reported on the tube

What I Posted.

"Frame this as a bad thing" LOL

Wonderful. So you're holding an NFL front office to the same standards as those of fans from a fan message board. :lol:

This is why the Bills continue to settle for mediocrity - even longtime fans are OK with it :)

Actually, that is not what I said. However, let me be clear for you. IMHO, I do not believe the FO was incompetent in thinking Thad Lewis would continued to progress into a good backup QB based on his performance last year. Once he regressed and it was clear he was not the answer, they cut him and, after Orton became available they signed him. As for the part about fans on a message board, I was merely pointing out that I find it funny that most of the people on this board had no problems with Thad as a backup QB until his performance in preseason - and now posters are clamoring about how it was SO OBVIOUS ALL ALONG.

IMO, since about the first week of preseason, this board has become almost ridiculous regarding the QB situation...

Edited by billsfan1959

In years past, the Bills probably wouldn't have made a move like this. I think the fact that the Bills are paying Orton a lot speaks somewhat to their lack of confidence in Manuel. Orton may end up being the starter. If so, his salary is very reasonable. Orton is a damn good QB who has suffered a lot of bad luck throughout his career. For some reason he reminds me of that Falco character in 'The Replacements.'

And what do they say if the Bills don't sign Orton? Bills can't win. They are always wrong.

I simply cannot fathom how you can look at their record over the past decade plus and still say these things with so much smugness. Yes, PTR, 75% of the time or thereabouts, the Bills ARE WRONG. It's settled and objective.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

If we signed Orton (or any other qualified veteran) earlier in camp, there would have been a qb controversy week one. This gives EJ a chance to play while Orton learns the system. The two backups we had in camp never would have beaten EJ for the starting job.

This is pure hindsight. Pretty much everyone thought Thad Lewis would grow into a very competent backup QB this year based on what he did last year. As a matter of fact, there were a number of posters on this board who felt he should be the starting QB. I am not going to fault the FO for believing the same thing based on his progression last year. Nobody expected him to regress in training camp and preseason. Perhaps they could have addressed it a little earlier in the preseason, but when it was clear he and Tuel both had regressed and were not getting better, then they made a change. It was not as if there were a lot of viable options once preseason rolled around.

GM's and Head Coaches are paid millions of dollars per year to be able to make good decisions. The blundered in their assessment of Tuel and Lewis. It doesn't matter if "pretty much everybody" who posts on message boards thought lewis would be good. They blundered.

I simply cannot fathom how you can look at their record over the past decade plus and still say these things with so much smugness. Yes, PTR, 75% of the time or thereabouts, the Bills ARE WRONG. It's settled and objective.

You didn't answer the question, did you? Because it doesn't matter what the Bills do. The answer is always "14 years no playoffs!" No correct answer. Always assume failure. Oh what fun. I'll pass. You enjoy yourself beating off to critical articles.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I'm glad of the Orton pick-up. I think we made a mistake ditching Thad. If this is considered a "panic" move, it is because the FO didn't see a single, viable back-up on the roster. Personally, I see the coaching staff looking too much at the preseason, and not enough from last season. Thad did alright by us, given the situation he stepped into last season. That shouldn't be so easily discounted.

this year Orton is the highest paid back up in the NFL.

Well I'll be damn! WE FINALLY WON SOMETHING!!!! So this is what it's like to be a winner. I don't care what we paid him, the only thing that's important is can he win some games if needed.If he's needed and he can that's all that matters. Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

I don't need to provide you with a source and quite frankly don't really give a hoot as to whether you have seen a report let alone believe it. PTR confirmed that Wawrow has even suggested it and it's safe to say he's quite close to the team.