Official Doug Whaley Pros and Cons List

1B4IDie

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Williams was traded for a 6th rounder, even better!

I think you put "Doug Whaley" a couple times instead of "Doug Marrone."

Correct I got my Dougs crossed

The first two cons are the planet killers.

Unfortunately. Yes.

I think letting both levitre and rhinehardt go without replacing either is a better way to communicate what happened than signing legursky.

Going into last season with no depth at CB and only four viable linemen.

Hated the Kolb signing.

Should Chris Williams turn out to be as bad as PFF sez he is, i think in this day and age, the GM has to go. I watched him in the first two preseason games and while he doesn't really impress, he didn't suck either....

I don't blame him at all re: Byrd, he wanted out; f### Byrd.

I think we are very weak at TE. The plan didn't work at all. I think Lee Smith is our best TE right now. I think Lee Smith is a very good #2 TE....not what you want in a #1 at all.

Right now, the O-line doesn't block any better than last year.

If hughes gets a lot of sacks, they have to sign him or get a lot using the F-tag....

My thoughts are EJ is playing very well compared to last year, I think he might make it, especially if the line gels. I think (after having drafted EJ) whaley did the right thing by doing all he could do to help EJ..... I read a great article once that explained that the rookie QBs that make it, generally have the team to do so. Aside from guys like Luck, I think they are right.

I hope the line stays healthy and gels.

I hope EJ stays healthy.

I hope the secondary gels.

I hope Schwartz has a very clever defense that changes week to week to match opponents.

I want to our whole starting offense on the field together for the first time and at 100%.

I want to see CJ get a lot of plays in a row.

Sammy. (That is all).

I want to see Super go all our.

I want to see our special teams look sharp and win one (starting in week one).

I see no mention of hiring Marrone in above list. That was Whaley's picks as much as Buddy's. In the very least, Whaley didn't have the balls to say "who?"

Unproven/suspect QB + potentially elite WR does not equal Super Bowl or even playoffs. Ask the Lions. This should also be listed under cons.

I tend to agree. Watkins will have to damn near be the second coming of Jerry Rice to justify that trade.

Edited by Rob's House

I see no mention of hiring Marrone in above list. That was Whaley's picks as much as Buddy's. In the very least, Whaley didn't have the balls to say "who?"

How would it make him look if he pointed the finger and said he didn't really want Marrone? He would not be able to say anything until Marrone is gone.

Pros

1. Getting much better WR talent here this year than we had last year. This is huge. We now a real NFL caliber WR corps.

2. Trading the epitome of the-same-old-find-new-ways-to-lose-Bills SJ to the 49ers for ultimately Bryce Brown.

3. Getting a good 3rd string RB

4. Going for it with the Watkins pick and at least saying he wants to win now

5. Drafting EJ

Cons

1. Hiring Doug Marrone over Lovie Smith who reportedly wanted the job and was going to bring his staff from Chicago.

2. Not telling Coach Marrone to fire Crossman

3. Not tellling Coach Marrone to fire Hackett Jr and hire a real OC.

4. Totally screwing the pooch on our backup QB position forcing us to sign a QB off the waiver wire the week of the last pre season game 2 years in a row. And this year we can't blame it on Kevin Kolb.

5. Poor Offensive Line FA signings

6. Re signing Alan Branch.
  7. Released Ryan Fitzpatrick.

8. Released Tarvaris Jackson in April 2013.

Edited by reddogblitz

Don't believe drafting Manuel is a con. Not getting a veteran backup QB is my only knock on Whaley. I can see the logic in not wanting to create a QB controversy by getting one, but not smart.

He did get one. Kevin Kolb. Then Kolb got hurt. It's EJ's gig now. Like you said, it's logical not to create controversy. EJ has the skills to do well. He just has to do it. I'll give Whaley credit for this: he is decisive. He chooses a path and pushes all his chips in. He's willing to go down for his choices.

Pros

1. Getting much better WR talent here this year than we had last year. This is huge. We now a real NFL caliber WR corps.

2. Trading the epitome of the-same-old-find-new-ways-to-lose-Bills SJ to the 49ers for ultimately Bryce Brown.

5. Drafting EJ

Cons

1. Hiring Doug Marrone over Lovie Smith who reportedly wanted the job and was going to bring his staff from Chicago.

4. Totally screwing the pooch on our backup QB position forcing us to sign a QB off the waiver wire the week of the last pre season game 2 years in a row. And this year we can't blame it on Kevin Kolb.

Re-signing Alan Branch was a good move at the time. It's not the Bills fault Branch went belly up. He played well. He got rewarded. Ftizpatrick didn't want to stay, after that phone convo with Nix hit the public. And truthfully, having him around would have been counter-productive. Just because you think he would make a great back up, and I think that, does not mean Fitzpatrick felt that way, seeing as how he was designated the man.

Re-signing Alan Branch was a good move at the time. It's not the Bills fault Branch went belly up. He played well. He got rewarded.

Probably true, but it totally didn't work out. GMs (like QBs) don't get credit for effort, that's why I put it on the con list.

Ftizpatrick didn't want to stay, after that phone convo with Nix hit the public.

Do you have a link on this or something? I seemed to remember that they wanted Fitz to re negotiate his contract down and he told them no. And good for him ( and why should he, a deal's a deal) but a dumb choice by Whaley.

Slice it however you want, but if Fitz comes into the Cleveland game instead of Tuel Time, we probably win that one. Plus a few more until EJ comes back. Unfortunately we'll never know ...

Whats the feeling of Matt Flynn? I know he's bounced, had some good comebacks & some bruises, but would he have ultimately been a serviceable veteran presence, having seen Aaron & Russell (!) in camp? Or the fact that he's lost out to Seneca, a rookie Russell, Tjax & ultimately Thad & Tuel (which may have been a camp timing issue though?).

Pros

5. Drafting EJ

Cons

Good list.

I've captured all of these except for Alan Branch.

I don't get it. Signing and cutting Branch seems like a non-event. There are lots of young DLine talent and there is a ton of cap space. What is the downside to the Bills?

This

CBF

Yup that's on the list.

What makes this official?

It says official right in the title, how much more official can it be?

I made an official list of lists considered to be official. Both my list, and this list appeared on it.

Plus it's on NoSaints list of lists considered to be official making it even more official.

Edited by Why So Serious?