Bills Release Alan Branch After DWI Arrest

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He messed up by showing up out of shape to training camp. Branch messed up big time and it sucks for him. He will need to get his mind right and maybe he will be a early season signee when injuries occur.

just add Branch money to the $23,661,443 in DEAD MONEY the bills have tied up in salary cap for players NOT on the team.

management sucks.

http://overthecap.co...p/buffalo-bills

That's one way to look at it. There are few teams with a number as high as the Bills. Dallas is a bit higher (before Branch) and a couple are close.

But another way to look at it is, at least the Bills aren't hanging on to players simply because they have invested $$ on them. They are willing to make changes despite the $$ spent. And, they don't look too bad in cap space: middle of the league with over $9 million in available cap space.

For serious? We're going to turn this into another salvo against Bills fans?

Real talk: Branch needs help. As decent as he was last year, he is certainly not bearing the mark of a man who wants to contribute to an NFL roster this season.

I wonder if there is any sort of roster exemption for a guy to take leave from the team to resolve personal issues. It seems like there is something deeper than NFL football -- or a lack of passion for it -- going on beneath the surface here. I recall that the guy just had a kid last year. He needs to get his mind right so that he can be a good man for his family, long term, not just a quality DT for an NFL team.

I hope that the Bills will recognize this as an employer and try to secure him the help that he needs. It does seem like we have a lot of these projects to contend with, with Dareus being the highest-profile case. But we need to look at these guys as people, too. Millions of dollars playing a kid's game doesn't automatically = happiness, even if it seems like it should.

Just pointing out the inconsistancy of opinions here. The minute Branch signs elsewhere there will be a "why did we cut a good player?" thread.

For serious? We're going to turn this into another salvo against Bills fans?

Real talk: Branch needs help. As decent as he was last year, he is certainly not bearing the mark of a man who wants to contribute to an NFL roster this season.

I wonder if there is any sort of roster exemption for a guy to take leave from the team to resolve personal issues. It seems like there is something deeper than NFL football -- or a lack of passion for it -- going on beneath the surface here. I recall that the guy just had a kid last year. He needs to get his mind right so that he can be a good man for his family, long term, not just a quality DT for an NFL team.

I hope that the Bills will recognize this as an employer and try to secure him the help that he needs. It does seem like we have a lot of these projects to contend with, with Dareus being the highest-profile case. But we need to look at these guys as people, too. Millions of dollars playing a kid's game doesn't automatically = happiness, even if it seems like it should.

Good point. When Jim Irsay was caught with half a pharmacy in his car and the other half in his bloodstream (and $20k in cash, which isn't at all suspicious), there were a lot of "addiction is a serious disease, you guys -- he need help!" articles flying around. We don't see nearly as many of those sentiments when it's a player.

Good point. When Jim Irsay was caught with half a pharmacy in his car and the other half in his bloodstream (and $20k in cash, which isn't at all suspicious), there were a lot of "addiction is a serious disease, you guys -- he need help!" articles flying around. We don't see nearly as many of those sentiments when it's a player.

to be fair, that irsay attended rehab and many knew he was an addict probably changed the tone some. not just that he was a white rich dude, but that he was a well documented addict.

branch could have similar issues, or he mightve just gotten drunk on a saturday night and got caught - lots of people get DUIs without being addicts. his track record this offseason did have me ask early on if there was something more though. its possible.

Edited by NoSaint

I have no evidence to back this up, but I wouldn't be surprised if he simply doesn't want to play anymore. I'm certainly not justifying taking the money if that's the case, but it seems to me that a lot of huge d-linemen basically check out at around the ages of 29-30. They don't want to deal with the pain anymore -- pain that only increases as the years pass. Reading this Kris Jenkins piece in the NY Times explains why. It's brutal. http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all .

For those who haven't read the Jenkins essay, I strongly recommend reading it.

Edited by dave mcbride

Not sure if this pertains to Branch so much Dave . But it really is one hell of a personal article from that monster Kris Jenkins . I read some paragraphs twice.

Thank you very much for the link !!

So pleased Kris is speaking about the game without an agenda and being real . Best part of the write up , is that he is wise enough to understand the pathways to become healthier and and share that with up and coming players

Loved it Man !

I also strongly recommend it .

Jenkins has my respect

Hell, when Favre had his painkiller addiction, same thing.

I hesitate to open this can of worms but... y'know.

@TBNSports

State police releases information, mug shot of Alan Branch, who was released by #Bills Sunday http://bills.buffalo...rrest/ …

Bv5-dc2IgAAef6a.jpg

So fresh and so clean, clean!

I'm not too worried about our DT depth with Branch gone- Bryant, Charles, and Cohen have all shown considerable amounts of potential. I've actually been quite impressed with how Bryant and Charles have developed their skills since last year.

If we were to upgrade at all on our line, I'd be down for the Bills to look into Will Smith. He was released by the Patriots today, and he's a veteran with considerable experience in the league. I'm not enamored by Jarius Wynn/Jacquies Smith, and although getting another DE isn't the most important task for the Bills at the moment, I think we could add some depth in Smith with a cheap contract. It's scary when you actually think about how paper thin our LB corps are- I think Manny Lawson could fill in at LB if need absolutely be. I'm not keen on Ty Powell or Randell Johnson getting playing time. This type of switching works better if you have depth.

I'm normally for a player getting every penny they can get because the NFL is a dirty business. But seriously, eff Branch. He basically just stole money. Beyond unprofessional.

Yeah, but: Caveat emptor, Bills. They've gotta be wary of signing huge D-linemen who are around 30 years old and on their third team and fourth contract. See the Kris Jenkins link I posted above. Anyone who thinks that 30-year old 325 lb. d-linemen genuinely *like* playing this game -- a game that requires them to be seriously overweight and subject themselves to inhuman punishment -- is living in fantasyland. I'm certainly not justifying welching on a contract, but buyers really need to beware. Just bad GMing is all it is.

Marcus Stroud, anyone?

Edited by dave mcbride

Yeah, but: Caveat emptor, Bills. They've gotta be wary of signing huge D-linemen who are around 30 years old and on their third team and third contract. See the Kris Jenkins link I posted above. Anyone who thinks that 30-year old 325 lb. d-linemen genuinely *like* playing this game -- a game that requires them to be seriously overweight and subject themselves to inhuman punishment -- is living in fantasyland. I'm certainly not justifying welching on a contract, but buyers really need to beware. Just bad GMing is all it is.

Marcus Stroud, anyone?

They surely tend to slow down at that age (unless they are named pat Williams then they play to 40)..... But I think it's silly to totally cross them off the list because it's not a fun job.

I have no evidence to back this up, but I wouldn't be surprised if he simply doesn't want to play anymore. I'm certainly not justifying taking the money if that's the case, but it seems to me that a lot of huge d-linemen basically check out at around the ages of 29-30. They don't want to deal with the pain anymore -- pain that only increases as the years pass. Reading this Kris Jenkins piece in the NY Times explains why. It's brutal. http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all .

For those who haven't read the Jenkins essay, I strongly recommend reading it.

Fantastic article Dave. And before he got hurt with the Jets, he was easily one of the best players in the league.

Anyone here that he drank the equivilant of 14 beers in a 2 hour period?

CBF

He very well may have. To weigh as much as he does and to blow a 0.14, he must've had to drink a whole lot of something. And the puking part may have nothing to do with his BAC, but the volume of liquid he would have to drink (unless it was 151).