Trade idea: Chris Hogan for Christian Ponder

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hear me out. ;) Full disclosure, I hate trade idea threads and don't know why I started one.

I don't even think Christian Ponder is any good, although a decent veteran backup and a lot better than what we have.

Hogan is causing more problems than he is solving. The Bills to me are extremely dangerous with the four headed monster of Sammy, Mike, Robert and Marquise. Keeping Woods off the field in lieu of Hogan is a big mistake and something I doubt they will be doing much once the season starts. You're going to want only 5 active and Easley should be one of those five. Keep TJ on the team in case Goodwin gets hurt.

Ponder is a veteran who you can coach to just be a game manager. He's played enough. He stinks if you want to be your savior or to throw for 300 yards a game but we don't need him for that. He knows EJ already and can probably help him.

The Vikings are having problems with Jerome Simpson and could use a decent WR with some clear upside. There is enough tape on Hogan now to see he can run routes and catch the ball and just the fact he is taking so much time from Robert Woods should let them know the Bills coaches are serious about him.

I'm sorry, but Jeff Tuel stinks and Thad seems to have regressed. Whaley is not afraid to pull the trigger. Ponder is not great or even very good as a starter so he is no threat to EJ, but a far better temporary answer than we have now if EJ goes down for a half or a game or even 2-3.

There are not a lot of good options around the league. IMO we need a veteran game manager backup without a rag arm.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but just curious. What do you expect out of a backup QB? What do you think Ponder offers that our QB's don't. I know it's not everything, but Lewis had a higher QB rating the Ponder last year, Ponder threw more INT's than TD's. He's never really been any good as a starter, why would he fare better as a backup with considerably less practice time than he is used to getting.

Not saying that any of these guys are like Frank Reich, but he looked awful when he played during preseason and didn't look good for a bit in his regular season appearances in relief, but much better when he started. It's very difficult to be a good backup, but what I believe is most important is familiarity with the system. That is why you see backup's sticking around longer than you think they should.

Not sure its been mentioned, ponder didn't get the 5th year ext, he has only this year left. Through in Thad, he knows that division a little and wouldn't be a bad third string option for them. Maybe a conditional pick to sweeten the pot.

Minnesota bites, a WR who can occasionally move the chains, a third string QB and a con pick.

Ponder would be ideally suited to back EJ, they pushed each other in college, why not the pros

Ponder is a very bad starting qb. He would be a good backup. And he has a hot wife. This deal would make sense.

And I know it's not popular but I like Hogan. He isn't as good as Woods but I could see Hogan being a solid wr on this league. He is very raw still. The Vikes should take this deal if it was offered.

You people suck. Four pages and nobody mentions Ponder's wife?

She has a better arm than her husband. http://thebiglead.com/2012/09/15/video-samantha-steele-has-a-pretty-good-arm/

Ponder is a very bad starting qb. He would be a good backup. And he has a hot wife. This deal would make sense.

And I know it's not popular but I like Hogan. He isn't as good as Woods but I could see Hogan being a solid wr on this league. He is very raw still. The Vikes should take this deal if it was offered.

She has a better arm than her husband. http://thebiglead.co...retty-good-arm/

Why would you think a bad starting QB makes a good backup? I don't see the logic. Will his interception rate go down? TD's go up? Will he become a better QB with less playing time and less practice time? i'm not saying you are right or wrong regarding Ponder, just don't understand the logic behind it.

Why would you think a bad starting QB makes a good backup? I don't see the logic. Will his interception rate go down? TD's go up? Will he become a better QB with less playing time and less practice time? i'm not saying you are right or wrong regarding Ponder, just don't understand the logic behind it.

An ideal backup is supposed to get you through a few games. Nothing more than that. That's why it seemed like Thad would be a good backup. Also, there are guys like Fitz and Reich. They are both very good backup Qbs. But if they are forced to play a lot of games, your team is in trouble.

Ponder seems like a smart dude and could be a good voice for EJ. It just sucks about the Firz situation because he was perfect for the role.

are there many backups that would be good starters? there arent even enough guys to adequately fill the 32 starting jobs, and now backups have to fill them well to be good for a team? the roles, and expectations are different.

An ideal backup is supposed to get you through a few games. Nothing more than that. That's why it seemed like Thad would be a good backup. Also, there are guys like Fitz and Reich. They are both very good backup Qbs. But if they are forced to play a lot of games, your team is in trouble.

Ponder seems like a smart dude and could be a good voice for EJ. It just sucks about the Firz situation because he was perfect for the role.

I just don't think there are quality backups anymore. Not enough starters let alone backups. If your starter is down, you are pretty much done.

I just don't think there are quality backups anymore. Not enough starters let alone backups. If your starter is down, you are pretty much done.

I agree with that 100%. But a guy like Ponder could play serviceable for a game or 2. That's all you want from a backup despite some fans thinking you should have Peyton backing up Brady.