Trade idea: Chris Hogan for Christian Ponder

An ideal backup is supposed to get you through a few games. Nothing more than that. That's why it seemed like Thad would be a good backup. Also, there are guys like Fitz and Reich. They are both very good backup Qbs. But if they are forced to play a lot of games, your team is in trouble.

Ponder seems like a smart dude and could be a good voice for EJ. It just sucks about the Firz situation because he was perfect for the role.

Thad got them through a few games last year-in fact, his winning percentage was the same as EJ's (but Thad's int rate was lower and his YPA and rating were higher). There was really no drop-off when Thad was in for EJ.

So why would Ponder be a better option?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thad got them through a few games last year-in fact, his winning percentage was the same as EJ's (but Thad's int rate was lower and his YPA and rating were higher). There was really no drop-off when Thad was in for EJ.

Are you suggesting with your statistics that Thad is better than EJ? If so no one inside and outside the organization agrees with you.

I always appreciate your subtle shots at EJ and the bills. :). Damn that EJ for losing the Falcons game with 31 points!

And I don't know what has happened to Thad but he is struggling. Given Thad's current play, I'd rather have Ponder. But if either plays for a long time, we're screwed. Like pretty much every NFL team.

Are you suggesting with your statistics that Thad is better than EJ? If so no one inside and outside the organization agrees with you.

I am suggesting that when EJ was unable to play, there was no overall dropoff in the outcome fo the Bills. That's the topic of discussion.

I always appreciate your subtle shots at EJ and the bills. :). Damn that EJ for losing the Falcons game with 31 points!

And I don't know what has happened to Thad but he is struggling. Given Thad's current play, I'd rather have Ponder. But if either plays for a long time, we're screwed. Like pretty much every NFL team.

Look, you claimed that a backup QB should be able to step in and carry the team for a few games. Obviously Thad was able to do that, by any definition of "carry the team" you want to use. What's your beef with my response? You simply hide behind "you hate the Bills" as your only response. How am I wrong?

Thad is struggling--but hey "it's only preseason", right? None of our QBs look so great.

I am suggesting that when EJ was unable to play, there was no overall dropoff in the outcome fo the Bills. That's the topic of discussion.

Look, you claimed that a backup QB should be able to step in and carry the team for a few games. Obviously Thad was able to do that, by any definition of "carry the team" you want to use. What's your beef with my response? You simply hide behind "you hate the Bills" as your only response. How am I wrong?

Thad is struggling--but hey "it's only preseason", right? None of our QBs look so great.

You know what you are doing and so do I. It's all good, I know your style by now. :)

And let's pretend like everything is the same - EJ wasn't a rookie and Thad wasn't in his 3rd year; EJ didn't leave 3 games with the lead that we ended up losing; and Thad won a game with 19 points. If Thad is our backup, he should look much much better this preseason playing against 3rd stringers.