Astro-Notes, Tuesday Aug 19

Astrobot

Done!

It's a beautiful day here in Pittsford, 77 degrees, half clouds, half sun, with a mild breeze. I got there at Period 2 and left early.

Per.2----First down drill

It's good to see Cordy Glenn nailing down the LT spot again. The dominos have fallen, with Seantrel now over at RT next to Pears who's moved inside to RG. Wood's at Center, and Chris Williams LG. Later, I notice Antoine McClain at LG, Hairston at LT, and Urbik hiking the ball. Everything at this point (pre-calisthenics) is done very slow and easy. They run a few plays with EJ at the helm, no drops:

---Pass to Mike Williams on the Right Side

---Play with Pulling Guard and a handoff to Fred Jackson (not any CJ this period, which may be notable)

---Goodwin looking like he's all the way back, hauling in a 40 yarder from EJ

---Watkins on a hook. Lord, he's smooth, and not looking like he has bruised ribs.

---Handoff to Jackson up the middle, moderately successful

---The pace is picking up as the plays go on.

---Swing pass out to Jackson

---Now Frank the Tank comes in and they run out of that formation, again up the middle.

---Same formation, fake to Jackson and throw for 20 yards to MWilliams

---Another throw to MWilliams, up in the clouds, and Mike Williams gets it (My WOW PLAY ONE).

---EJ goes out and Dennis Dixon comes in for two plays, one to Gragg and one to Marquise Goodwin. They are definitely practicing looking off a defender, then throwing in a different direction.

---EJ comes back in and runs a sweet pulling-Center play, with Wood coming left, leading Jackson on a sweep.

---Woods is in the slot with MWilliams to his left, but it's to Jackson off RG Pears, and one to Chandler running an in route from the left side.

Per. 3 Calisthenics. There's a lively chatter going on that is encouraging. Easley and Hogan high-five each other and get in line. The refs on this side of the field are talking to each other with their backs to us, and a guy next to me takes their picture and says, "F U". I realize the Field Judge and the Umpire have made a great picture reminiscent of Johnny Manziel's gesture. I also notice TJ Graham is only as tall as Lee Smith's shoulders. I notice our 5th string TE, Dom Jones, just isn't getting down in his exercises. I had said he'd be a good PS guy. Maybe not.

Per. 4-5 Positional Drills. I've said before that this is an 8-ring circus, and even this late into Camp it's still true.

---The entire Offense is lined up and go on the snap, run 20 yards, then the other half of the Offense does it, then they go the other way. They are conserving energy a bit.

---When they break into groups, the WRs are the most active. They practice getting off on the snap, then they practice a modified ladder drill where there are lines on the ground and they snake around each line.

---The WRs did a great drill where a coach is throwing to them as they run behind dummies. They have to be very alert, as they don't really know when it'll be thrown--after which of 5 dummies.I didn't see a miss, but I was distracted, but TJ dropped and did 5 pushups.

---OL is going into blocking positions at the whistle. Good one, because I have pictures of certain players not out of their stance at the snap while others are already into position. Chandler for one.

---Later OL is practicing sidestepping L and R

---TEs are on the blocking sled for a while, then move to a blocking-in-space drill.

---DBs are backpedaling 10 yards, then breaking into a run forward. They then move to the sleds and have to hit one 15x

---DL was practicing getting off on the snap of the ball vs coach's called cadence. Will help Landon Cohen a lot so he doesn't jump early, and I think Stefan Charles had an offsides as well in one of our games..

---Bobby Felder is off to the side working out for a trainer, doing lots of ankle, lower leg stuff.

---There is a lot more team spirit out there this week. Players like Aaron Williams and Mike Williams seem to be pretty animated.

---The DBs are having the most fun during this segment.

---QBs and WRs went to the turf field for 15 minutes.

Per. 6: 11 on 11 Drills

---Woods is positioned wide L for most of these plays.

---EJ handsoff to Fred for about 5-7 yards.

---In a 2 back set, EJ hands off to Summers, the up back, for 4 up the middle (now with CWilliams-Woods-Pears, it seems like there's more room for RBs. That'd be my question for Hackett.

---Spiller finally in there and rips off a big 10+ yard gain

At This point, Doug Marrone gathers them all in the middle of the field, and I can't hear what's going on. But after the little 2-minute talk, there's more noise, more talk even on the D.

---Woods makes a nice catch on an in route from the L side of the formation.

---Fred Jackson has a nice seam to run through

---Fred Jackson out of the backfield catches a pass.

A nice breeze comes up, to the relief of all of us, as I'm feeling the heat.

---Hogan, stioll playing with the ones, lines up wide L, Chandler goes in motion, and EJ throws to Goodwin for a nice pickup. Goodwin, by the way, is Top Five in the NFL Preseason for yards after catch per snap.

---They are picking up the pace even faster now, doing a little no-huddle.

---Chris Williams is the pulling Guard, EJ rolls and throws to Goodwin again. Goodwin bobbles it, but pulls it in for a 20 yarder (My WOW PLAY TWO).

They reset the ball back at the opponent's 30 yard line.

---Tuel comes in and hands off a lot to Wingo.

I'm losing interest at this point, and am pretty overheated despite the breeze. When they begin Kickoff and FG drills, I book out of there. I did notice Goodwin and Easley are the gunners on this side, so I'm going to bet they both are in the plans for now. Woods and Corey Graham are on the outside spots on the far side.

My plan is to return for tomorrow's 8am practice, and possibly head over to Shooters in Fairport 1226 Fairport Road, Baird and Route 31F Fairport (near Abbott's Custard) for the John Murphy Show at 7:00-9pm. If anyone is interested in picking up supper there, let me know.

Astro

Edited by Astrobot

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet, thanks Rastro.

Great to hear about Watkins. I'd like to know what you think about Seantrel on the right side.

Sounds like the offense is looking okay, but tweets seem to indicate the offense is out of sync...

Sweet, thanks Rastro.

Great to hear about Watkins. I'd like to know what you think about Seantrel on the right side.

Sounds like the offense is looking okay, but tweets seem to indicate the offense is out of sync...

The offense hardly had a blown-up or bobbled play IMHO.

You're killing me with the CJ comment...please explain.

I just posted that question on Twitter. Will let you know.

Okay, they're just joking on Twitter, saying that he's winded.

Edited by Astrobot

Sweet, thanks Rastro.

Based on preseason games it is....hope to see some improvement soon