HS football player dies after drinking 4 gallons (water/gatorade)

Please don't...I remember that. So sad in that she was trying to do something nice for her kids and utterly tragic and heartbreaking.

Please don't what? Of course that was a tragedy, I wasn't trying to poke fun or make light. Many wouldn't think water can poison and kill you. But anything can, in the right amount.

yea..ppl are always stressing that you need to drink 8-10 glasses of water a day but they don't stress that to much water is bad for you as well....doesn't happen often but it does....plus Gatorade is full of stuff like sugar that's bad in large quantities

yea..ppl are always stressing that you need to drink 8-10 glasses of water a day but they don't stress that to much water is bad for you as well....doesn't happen often but it does....plus Gatorade is full of stuff like sugar that's bad in large quantities

Because that amount is incredible. It partially depends on absorption. You see it in distance athletes, but not to the point of death. Notice at a lot of marathons empty mustard packets on the road. Salt, you can drink a bunch of water, as long as you can retain it. Over hydration occurs when there is no water retention. I used to be on the national team for a few years, and to help manage my weight I used to drink 2 gallons of water per day. that is 256 oz. People need to realize the recommended 8-10 cups is a daily minimum. That is about half a gallon or 64-80 oz. That is a ton, and is totally healthy as long as you increase your electrolyte and sodium consumption with it. I think it is fair to say a healthy individual could, and maybe should consumer about a gallon. That also assumes that there is no other fluid intake, ie coffee, juice, pop. If there is juice or coffee involved (nobody should drink pop regularly if ever), increase intake by 1.5 times the amount of consumed beverage. 12 oz coffee, means that you need to increase your daily intake bu 18oz to account for it.

In regards to this story, 4 gallons (512 oz) is double my prior intake, and would never recommend anybody to take in that much. I would guess there is nothing you can do to balance that sort of quantity out. This story is heartbreaking to say the least.

Sorry that was some boring info for sure

Not sure why they would need to do an autopsy if severe hyponatremia caused his cerebral edema.

Anyway, Gatorade is hypotonic, but it does have salt in it. It's not clear over what time period he consumed so much free water. The physical volume the family claims he drank after practice is hard to imagine.

I'd venture to guess that 4 gallons of anything isn't good for you. ever.

Not sure why they would need to do an autopsy if severe hyponatremia caused his cerebral edema.

It varies from state to state, but in many situations an autopsy is required by law. Sudden or unexpected deaths that may have medical/legal issues, injuries or poisonings (including drug overdoses), and the like often fall under this situation.