Round 2 : Sale of the team

wow, half the teams in the league have changed hands in the past 10 years? then why do do many people always make the point that "nfl teams rarely are on the market" when talking about why the Bills would have to fetch a record price?

If i was John Francis Bongiovi I would just concentrate on making more crappy music for a few years and come back when i was worth another $100million. certainly there will be another team to bid on soon enough.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Gundlach and Kelly want to team with Pegula.....

Why would they want to go in against a guy with enormous resources who has proven that he will spend on the team/facilities and has done so much already for WNY?

Pegula is pretty much every Bills fan's dream.... and they work to sink that bid? Just doesn't make sense.

They're not working to sink his bid; they're creating competition. Pegula knows the score, so I wouldn't worry about him taking his ball and going home if you know what I mean.

I'm as anxious as anyone to see this get wrapped up; try not to fret.

wow, half the teams in the league have changed hands in the past 10 years? then why do do many people always make the point that "nfl teams rarely are on the market" when talking about why the Bills would have to fetch a record price?

If i was John Francis Bongiovi I would just concentrate on making more crappy music for a few years and come back when i was worth another $100million. certainly there will be another team to bid on soon enough.

Mostly because when an owner sells a team, it's to who he wants and when he wants...this situation is different because it's an open bid of sorts.

Maybe Gundlach and Kelly want to team with Pegula.....

Why would they want to go in against a guy with enormous resources who has proven that he will spend on the team/facilities and has done so much already for WNY?

Pegula is pretty much every Bills fan's dream.... and they work to sink that bid? Just doesn't make sense.

Who works to sink Pegula's bid and how?

I wonder what role Jim would have in any "ownership" group? He couldn't possibly put in more than $10 million (I'm just guessing)

Why not just wait until Pegula buys and try to get a high up role like Lafontaine (minus the hissy fits) where he gets PAID instead of paying in?

Who works to sink Pegula's bid and how?

In a scenario whereby they join some other group, by bidding against him Kelly/Gundlach are saying "sell to us instead of Pegula" right?

Edited by TheFunPolice

I wonder what role Jim would have in any "ownership" group? He couldn't possibly put in more than $10 million (I'm just guessing)

Why not just wait until Pegula buys and try to get a high up role like Lafontaine (minus the hissy fits) where he gets PAID instead of paying in?

I think he'd just kind of be the face of the group for the public...lend whatever credibility to that group's claim to keep the team in Buffalo that he could.

As for trying to get paid; he's already technically an employee of the team (an ambassador).

What's funny is everyone has been in love with Pegula as owner. If a Gundlach/Kelly/ potentially Golisano group steps up will everyone be disappointed? Will people start rooting against Jim Kelly? Or if Pegula gets it - are people upset he took the team away from Kelly? I'm happy either way - just keep away from JBJ.

I want Pegs because he'll spend money on the team and won't worry about the bottom line. As he said when he bought the Sabres "If I want to make more money, I'll drill another gas well." If he doesn't get it and this super-group does, and they keep the team in Buffalo for at least my lifetime, I'll still be happy, and hope they also spend money.

Hopefully Pegs allows Kelly to join his group, with or without Gundlach. That would make it a slam-dunk.

Edited by Doc

I think he'd just kind of be the face of the group for the public...lend whatever credibility to that group's claim to keep the team in Buffalo that he could.

As for trying to get paid; he's already technically an employee of the team (an ambassador).

Cool! I didn't realize that....

I assume he would keep that role in any locally based ownership, which is why I wondered what the point of joining up with a group to compete with Pegula would be....

I assume he would keep that role in any locally based ownership, which is why I wondered what the point of joining up with a group to compete with Pegula would be....

Remember it is still speculation that he will be "competing" with Pegula, it still a possibility that minority group could get paired with Pegula for the appeasement of the trust. (this is pure speculation from an clueless source....myself)

Remember it is still speculation that he will be "competing" with Pegula, it still a possibility that minority group could get paired with Pegula for the appeasement of the trust. (this is pure speculation from an clueless source....myself)

This could be possible. That's what I was trying to get at: why would Kelly try to take steam away from Pegula's bid when just about everyone in WNY is in love with the idea?

I would assume he'd keep his role, yes. Unless for some reason he didn't want it.

This could be possible. That's what I was trying to get at: why would Kelly try to take steam away from Pegula's bid when just about everyone in WNY is in love with the idea?

I think he wants to be instrumental in the team staying here, and if he attaches himself to another bidder, he'd be doing that. I don't think he'll be crushed (or even more than a tiny bit upset) if the group he chooses doesn't win; as long as the long-term future of the team is secure in WNY he'll be fine.

I would assume he'd keep his role, yes. Unless for some reason he didn't want it.

I think he wants to be instrumental in the team staying here, and if he attaches himself to another bidder, he'd be doing that. I don't think he'll be crushed (or even more than a tiny bit upset) if the group he chooses doesn't win; as long as the long-term future of the team is secure in WNY he'll be fine.

Makes sense....

The more local options, the better I suppose!

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham 55s

And, no, the NHL owner is not named Pegula.

Jeremy Jacobs?

I'm hoping it is him (but somehow I doubt it). The multiple ownership rules could easily be bypassed because he has family who could take over the Bruins, or technically own the Bills.

I thought the NFL prohibits someone to own sports franchises in two different cities?

He has children. One of them could technically own one of the teams.

I'm hoping it is him (but somehow I doubt it). The multiple ownership rules could easily be bypassed because he has family who could take over the Bruins, or technically own the Bills.

Plus Delaware North owns gambling operations which I believe they would have to divest themselves from.

The brewery guy will definitely be the PBR dude. That has been rumored since this thing started.

Dean Metropoulos

He has children. One of them could technically own one of the teams.

He could divest himself of the Bruins, yes....the bigger issue is that he holds stakes in gambling interests that I was under the impression he didn't want to give up.

I thought the NFL prohibits someone to own sports franchises in two different cities?

I don't think we really ever got closure on this issue. I've been sending emails to ElPegual@buffalosabres.com on the hour every hour looking for answers. I'll let you know when I hear something.

Dean Metropoulos

He could divest himself of the Bruins, yes....the bigger issue is that he holds stakes in gambling interests that I was under the impression he didn't want to give up.

I actually think that's a smaller issue if he is serious about buying the team. He knows he would have to divest. He has children, you know.

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham 38s

About to post an update with more parties who've signed the Bills nondisclosure agreement: an NHL owner, an NBA founder and a brewery owner.

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham 2m

And, no, the NHL owner is not named Pegula.

This is so reminiscent of when Pat Moran kept sending out teasers re: the falsely reported border bust.

"Hey Bills fans, I'm about to post something that's going to be HUGE to the Buffalo Bills! Get ready!!" Bush League.