Artvoice stadium plan (downtown)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seems like it mimics what philly has, all the stadiums and arena in one spot.. i know it can be troublesome, traffic wise , but otherwise it looks ok.. the tailgating atmosphere wont come close to the ralph's obviously..

Not really that many conflicting dates during the sports calendar year though.

Right there used to be pretty cold, long time ago. Is the stadium open or roofed/doomed?

Doomed...

I,like the idea of it being downtown but personally like the idea of it being near the Falls more. It becomes a destination and ties it closer to the Canadian market. At the end of the day the "regionalization" of the team and the lock in the market is firmly tying the team to both Buffalo and southern Ontario.

Taking out the exits for the arena and stadiums while putting a semi open stadium near the lake just seems like a bad idea to me. I am not a fan of downtown stadium. I'd rather have a shared dome in Amherst with UB. A few NFL teams do this, Tampa, SD, NO, Tennessee, Atlanta, and Pittsburgh. It seems like it would be common sense as both stadia need replacing, and would be a reasonable alteration to the UB2020 plan.

seems like it mimics what philly has, all the stadiums and arena in one spot.. i know it can be troublesome, traffic wise , but otherwise it looks ok.. the tailgating atmosphere wont come close to the ralph's obviously..

I live in Philly and tend to agree with your point. The sports complex here in Philly I personally (maybe selfishly) think is pretty stellar. The difference between the Philly Sports Complex and what is planned for Buffalo was transportation and road access already in place with no need for any major changes to interstates. But changes to interstates for the betterment of an area of a city like Buffalo I am a strong advocate for.

About 14 years ago me and old friend had an very interesting email exchange about WNY and why it was struggling, depressed economically, etc and compared it to Charlotte, Austin, Boston, Philly, etc. The biggest reason people thought was the weather. I never believed weather caused an area to decline economically. My view was at the time WNY did not have the correct formula to keep the well educated college grad's from leaving to find prosperity elsewhere. From what I am reading and have read, I sense that the Buffalo and WNY rebirth has a lot to do with the Medical technology Investments, Call Centers, among others. Buffalo and WNY have found the a piece of the formula to keep its precious assets - students, in the area. You now add this very ambitious stadium plan with redesigned downtown area which should stimulate further growth, there are more reasons for students to stay and for transplants to say yes Buffalo is an area I would relocate back to.

Everything about this fails in the ever important feasibility department... That is economically, politically, and socially. But that's what you get when you ask someone who loves to design to do something and tell him context doesn't matter. The biggest problem is burying the 190. After the billions in overruns in the Big Dig, no one is funding these undertakings and as a community, we should expect better fiscal sense when proposing a stadium that we'll certainly help pay for. And the political problems is major but on something like this not the biggest problem as, assuming they had the willingness to tell tell taxpayers how much they'd be paying, would live to be there to cut the red tape on a legacy project for their career. And I don't think the architect is aware that doubling down on a stadium

Convention center I are the two worst economic development policies ever, just go to Google Scholar and type in "stadiums an convention centers for economic development." Total losers and the only ones getting rich are the landowners and developers, not the community. And if anyone things major national conventions are gonna bypass the usual suspects to come to Buffalo anytime but may-August you're clueless. No one is coming here for conventions in January, they go to San Diego, tampa and Atlanta.

I don't like the idea of any sort of roof, retractable or otherwise. I'm also not sure how game day traffic would work with the major artery into that area underground. Would it be feasable to do tunnel to surface exit ramps somehow? It's a cool concept though.

I don't like the idea of any sort of roof, retractable or otherwise. I'm also not sure how game day traffic would work with the major artery into that area underground. Would it be feasable to do tunnel to surface exit ramps somehow? It's a cool concept though.

No offense, but you probably need to get used to it. Nobody is going to build a several-hundred-million-dollar stadium in the Northeast and not put a retractable roof on it; doing so would be relegating the facility next to useless for 6 months out of the year with regard to hosting conventions, concerts, etc., thereby surrendering a significant potential revenue stream.

The $50M it costs for a retractable roof is a no-brainer; it's coming with whatever new stadium gets built.

No offense, but you probably need to get used to it. Nobody is going to build a several-hundred-million-dollar stadium in the Northeast and not put a retractable roof on it; doing so would be relegating the facility next to useless for 6 months out of the year with regard to hosting conventions, concerts, etc., thereby surrendering a significant potential revenue stream.

The $50M it costs for a retractable roof is a no-brainer; it's coming with whatever new stadium gets built.

Nobody except New England, the giants/jets, the steelers, the eagles, the browns, and the bengals, all of which have open air stadiums built within the last 15 years. The convention revenue stream is over rated IMO, especially since this plan includes a seperate convention center.