What`s up with Marrone?

Just my two cents (probably worth less than that) is that Marrone et al. are working very hard at trying to change the culture of "losing" with the Buffalo BILLS and frankly, I haven't seen this type of passion from a BILLS HC regarding Pre-Season, maybe ever? So, considering that doing something and being something *different* than what we fans are used to, is exactly what it will probably take to overturn this presumptive, lethargic acceptance of losing - I'm all in...that's not to say the pressers aren't difficult to watch, b/c they have been the last few days, but IF - and it's a huge a*s IF - this kind of zeal and relentless pursuit of excellence includes not accepting a loss in the Pre-Season as a prerequisite to turn the tide and begin a culture of WINNING, then I will support Marrone's endeavor, even if I don't have empirical evidence to demonstrate it's working....yet. Because, for all the milquetoast - panty-waste - limp-wristed b.s. I've seen over the last 14 years, at least this man has the simmering passion to get this team off it's back and fighting like any team caught in the one of the worst playoff droughts in the history of the game should!! Let Marrone's displeasure boil over, on to the team and player leadership, and let's light a fire under their collective bums and hope this woeful display of mediocrity can be squashed to pieces this year!!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my two cents (probably worth less than that) is that Marrone et al. are working very hard at trying to change the culture of "losing" with the Buffalo BILLS and frankly, I haven't seen this type of passion from a BILLS HC regarding Pre-Season, maybe ever? So, considering that doing something and being something *different* than what we fans are used to, is exactly what it will probably take to overturn this presumptive, lethargic acceptance of losing - I'm all in...that's not to say the pressers aren't difficult to watch, b/c they have been the last few days, but IF - and it's a huge a*s IF - this kind of zeal and relentless pursuit of excellence includes not accepting a loss in the Pre-Season as a prerequisite to turn the tide and begin a culture of WINNING, then I will support Marrone's endeavor, even if I don't have empirical evidence to demonstrate it's working....yet. Because, for all the milquetoast - panty-waste - limp-wristed b.s. I've seen over the last 14 years, at least this man has the simmering passion to get this team off it's back and fighting like any team caught in the one of the worst playoff droughts in the history of the game should!! Let Marrone's displeasure boil over, on to the team and player leadership, and let's light a fire under their collective bums and hope this woeful display of mediocrity can be squashed to pieces this year!!

Ole Bullhorn Williams showed some pre season passion.

Maybe he wanted to win with the backups. No coach cares enough to risk playing starters the whole game. That would be ridiculed. That doesn't mean he didn't want to win, he probably thinks the back of his roster is better than theirs and/or their system should beat theirs. I don't buy that he was still that upset about losing last night. He just didn't want to answer the questions. I think the media blowing it way out of proportion, really.

Maybe he wanted to win with the backups. No coach cares enough to risk playing starters the whole game. That would be ridiculed. That doesn't mean he didn't want to win, he probably thinks the back of his roster is better than theirs and/or their system should beat theirs. I don't buy that he was still that upset about losing last night. He just didn't want to answer the questions. I think the media blowing it way out of proportion, really.

The media is soft and full of double standards. They want to write and say catty things about the team and players Marrone cares about. So when Marrone gives them it back, they cry about it.

Don't dish it out if you can't take it.

One thing Marrone was known for at Syracuse was that he ran a tight ship. That is harder in the NFL and I think that bothers him a bit

Not disagreeing but guys like Belichick, Coughlin, and Harbaugh seem to be able to do that in the NFL.

The media is soft and full of double standards. They want to write and say catty things about the team and players Marrone cares about. So when Marrone gives them it back, they cry about it.

Not disagreeing but guys like Belichick, Coughlin, and Harbaugh seem to be able to do that in the NFL.

Yep.

Media is being a bunch of babies about this. Just like they were last year when they had the dust up over Mario's injury/surgey/wtf it was.

Amen.

He is letting the team know in no uncertain terms through his answers to the press that preseason or not, he expects them to win and he will not tolerate any BS excuses from people as to why they couldn't get it done.

I think you're right, but I think it's a laughable attitude to take. He wants desperately to win, but he benches starters after 10 plays? Couldn't have wanted to win that badly ...

In my opinion Marrone is coming off horribly by being so terse with the media. Belichick gets away with it because he wins. Marrone just looks foolish.

I don't know how you can watch that and not come away thinking that it was an antagonistic PC. Yes there were a couple of stupid questions, or at least they sounded as if Chris Farley was doing the interviewing. But not all questions were stupid.

I think he was clearly being antagonistic; and I don't blame him. Maybe he can train everyone to not ask the same question 6 times during the week or to put some actual thought into the what they actually expect to get out of these questions. Or at VERY least, prepare themselves beforehand so they aren't stuttering through questions and making very little sense.

Have you listened to a BB PC the last couple of years? They're pretty simple and quick because everyone knows he's not going to say anything worth listening to anyway.

Personally, I like getting a little more out of the coach, but I would likely do the same thing in his shoes. You're right though, the backlash will be severe. I honestly don't think he cares. The only person he has to be good with (for now) is Whaley.

If Maroon wanted to "win" so bad, he should have kept the starters in for a series longer like the Giants did.

On the highlights they show Eli leading a scoring drive but never mention that it was against our 2nd string defense.

As far as Marrone goes with the media, my take on it goes both ways. I like that he's upset cuz it shows frustration and emotion we haven't seen from recent Bills coaches, but on the flipside it shows immaturity and unprofessionalism (don't know if that's a word).

It's a tough one to decipher because, how can you get mad at a guy for giving a stupid answer to a stupid question?

I think you're right, but I think it's a laughable attitude to take. He wants desperately to win, but he benches starters after 10 plays? Couldn't have wanted to win that badly ...

In my opinion Marrone is coming off horribly by being so terse with the media. Belichick gets away with it because he wins. Marrone just looks foolish.

The Bills were winning when our starters left the game.

To whom?

Terrible reporting is what I've heard from the press conferences. He's answering their questions very succinctly. They constantly ask these thin questions that literally require no answer at all. It's laughable to him. You can see it. He's toying with them. I happen to like it. Listen next time. The media merely wants affirmation of their opinions. He's not buying what we all do HERE everyday. Speculate.

Just curious, but if you were in a profession for 30 years, would you get tired of ignorant media types who havent coached or played a day of football in their lives writing articles about how you are doing your job wrong?

It looked like he didn't want to be there. He has other things to do. The whole thing took 4 minutes.

He does seem like he wants to win preseason games. Marv used preseason to pick the bottom 4 guys on the roster, and to keep the starters healthy for the games that really count.

I agree that if winning was the most important thing he wouldn't take the starters out after 2 series. Maybe he's just trying to motivate the squad.

Somebody finally called him on the abuse of the term "obviously." Glad to know. He started most press conferences with that word. It reminds me of hockey players who answer the first question with "Like I said....."

I really like your thoughts in this post, and I loved the presser. This is the kind of coach I have been waiting for … someone who will step up and change the “acceptance of mediocrity” culture we seem to have witnessed getting perfected around here for 14 years.

Of course Marrone knows he has to win more than 6 games, starting right now, to stick around for next season. And of course he knows he has a roster chock full of talent everywhere except quarterback, which has three sizeable question marks, none larger than EJ.

But this was also his somewhat Belichick-esque (and perhaps a bit patronizing) way of setting the tempo with the media for the coming season. I don’t think we need to have a pity party for the poor media, who caught some guff from the mean football coach who has a much taller order in front of him than just writing conventional wisdom about the last game/practice.

Terrible reporting is what I've heard from the press conferences. He's answering their questions very succinctly. They constantly ask these thin questions that literally require no answer at all. It's laughable to him. You can see it. He's toying with them. I happen to like it. Listen next time. The media merely wants affirmation of their opinions. He's not buying what we all do HERE everyday. Speculate.

exactly.

Nice post. The only thing I question, if Marrone was that upset about this loss, or was placing such a high priority on winning it, why didn't he coach it to win it? Not saying he should have let the starters play longer (though I think EJ could have played longer, for him, not to win the game), or put starters in at the end, or anything like that...but there was no attempt made to conserve time at the end..hell, Marrone didin't even use all his timeouts! They pnly lost by 4 points. If he really wants the kids to go out and win this game, why not do what most coaches would do, and give them the opportunity...within reason, for a pre-season game anyways. If Marrone had done that in a regular season game, most would be calling for his head.

I agree he seems very passionate, and I have no doubt he wants to win....but I don't really buy that his Jeckyl & Hyde routine with the media has anything to do with losing this pre-season game to the Giants.

It looked like he didn't want to be there. He has other things to do. The whole thing took 4 minutes.

He does seem like he wants to win preseason games. Marv used preseason to pick the bottom 4 guys on the roster, and to keep the starters healthy for the games that really count.

I agree that if winning was the most important thing he wouldn't take the starters out after 2 series. Maybe he's just trying to motivate the squad.

Somebody finally called him on the abuse of the term "obviously." Glad to know. He started most press conferences with that word. It reminds me of hockey players who answer the first question with "Like I said....."

I think that is the real answer... he realizes he has much more important stuff to be doing, than answering a bunch of "silly questions". I know the feeling...working round the clock on a project at work, you are really focused, and then you have to step out for some required meeting...it is annoying.

I will be interested to see if Marrone returns to his jabber-jaw forum in the future...

As an aside, you guys who constantly rail on the media guys and their silly questions... you do realize, the whole thing is silly? What could anyone really hope to learn from one of these press conferences? It has been that way forever... I think Marrone could be a good, maybe great coach...but I hate to see him get himself so visibly worked up over such a meaningless thing, that is, unfortunately (for him) part of his job.

Edited by Buftex