Mike Schopp said something today that had me wondering...

Buftex

This isn't a GR or Schopp bashing thread...I just thought this was a thought provoking comment... they were talking about opening day, against the Bears. He said he couldn't conceive of any possible scenario by which the Bills win on opening day.

After taking a lot of crap from callers, he said that the Bills hadn't had, in his opinion, a road win over a quality opponent, since beating the Saints in New Orleans in 1992. While Bulldog didn't necessarily agree with him, he didn't offer any examples of great Bills road wins, since that game.... I know they beat the Steelers and Dolphins on the road, that same season, in the playoffs....so I know he is a little off... I would say a conference championship on the road is pretty impressive, no matter who you beat....

My memory is for **** lately... I know they haven't won a lot of road games in recent years...but thinking about it...any big road victories since the Kelly era? I am struggling to remember any...help me.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any scenario seems a bit harsh...here's a scenario or fact our CBs are better than any in their division, our DL is as good or better than any in their division. We hopefully will come in there healthy. I see the scenario,...6 sacks 2ints from our defense, their defense is old and our up tempo will show that.

1st of all, Da Bears AREN'T a quality opponent. We drubbed a quality team at KC in the opener 2 seasons ago and they never recovered that season. Chicago's defense was ranked 30th last season on merit! Their worst defense in the history of their franchise. Obviously, they tried to address it this off season, but there's no way they'll turn it completely around by the opener. I work with a few Bears fans and they think their 'vaunted' offense will be held pretty much in check by our D and Cutler doesn't perform well under pressure. Their take is the game comes down to their revamped D against our mediocre O.

I think THEY will be in for a big surprise!

2nd, Schoop is an embarrassment to WNY.

Normally, I would be screaming like crazy about how wrong he was. But when I look down, comparing each group against each other, it does look like a hard fight.

Cutler is already the game manager that the Bills are already hoping EJ will be. I can't say that their RB is inferior to ours as well, considering that Matt Forte is nothing to sneeze at. Alshon Jeffery and Brandon marshall claim to be the best WR pair in the NFL, even if I think that they don't have the depth of talent the Bills do.

Two years ago, Chicago had the #2 Defense in the league, and their slide was helped by losing 5 starters to injury.(Though you can argue Lovie Smith helped with that). Those guys will be back.

And we're playing them at home, on the home opener, in Soldier's field, where we can expect a lot of crowd noise.

I'm not saying that the Bills can't win. The D-line is looking very special and as I watch Sammy and Mike Williams get into synch with EJ, it looks like he has two targets who can make him look good on errant throws, while Woods looks like he is still in perfect route running mode on catches which move the chains. But I think that anyone who looks at the game as not being an uphill battle is overly optimistic, and that's coming from a Kool-Aid drinker.

Bears can't stop the run and the Bills can run like mad. The Bills will be playing in the memory of Ralph Wilson and for a new owner for the first time. The Bears will think this is HOME coming game, but the Bills will come out blazing. It won't be easy, but they win on a last minute Carpenter FG, 23-21.

Schoop is a d-bag. The Bills have beat plenty of playoff teams on the road since 1992. That's just a stupid statement to make, and it is exactly the kind of d-bag statement he makes which keeps me from listening to him, nor supporting the advertisers on his time slot.

Schoop is a d-bag. The Bills have beat plenty of playoff teams on the road since 1992. That's just a stupid statement to make, and it is exactly the kind of d-bag statement he makes which keeps me from listening to him, nor supporting the advertisers on his time slot.

It's a tough one to argue as we haven't had many games that mattered that we've won since 1992. When you haven't made the playoffs in over a decade it's hard to point to signature victories yet alone with the added qualifier of on the road.

I certainly think they can beat Chicago on the road opening day...provided they contain Chicago's pass rushers (Allen and Houston) and get after the QB.

As for road wins, I seem to remember they beat the Redskins on the road--I believe it was 2007--and they made the playoffs that year. The win at Denver at the end of 2008 was against a quality opponent as well. He does have a point that they haven't been very good on the road in recent years though.

Schoop is terrible and probably the worst radio hosts that any of the 32 NFL team have. That said, of course it's a hard game to win. Home opener in a tough environment.

But I think Cutler is the definition of whatever. I can see him throwing 5 tds as easily as I can see him throwing 5 ints.

Ok, first thing I did was go to Wiki...

1993, beat the Cowboys... the eventual Superbowl Champions (against us)

1994, beat the Patriots (Wild Card team), and Dolphins (1st AFCE)

1995, beat the Colts (Wild Card team)

1996, beat the Eagles (Wild Card team)

1997, no road wins against playoff teams, but did beat the 9-7 Jets

1998, no road wins against playoff teams

1999, beat the Dolphins (Wild Card team), and Washington (1st NFCE)

2000, no road wins against playoff teams

2001, beat the Jets (Wild Card team)

2002, no road wins against playoff teams, but did beat the 9-7 Dolphins

2003, no road wins against playoff teams

2004, beat the Seahawks (1st NFCW)

2005, beat the Bengals (1st AFCN)

2006, beat the Jets (Wild Card team)

2007, beat Washington (Wild Card team)

2008, no road wins against playoff teams

2009, beat the Jets (Wild Card team)

2010, no road wins against playoff teams

2011, no road wins against playoff teams

2012, no road wins against playoff teams

2013, no road wins against playoff teams

Normally, I would be screaming like crazy about how wrong he was. But when I look down, comparing each group against each other, it does look like a hard fight.

Cutler is already the game manager that the Bills are already hoping EJ will be. I can't say that their RB is inferior to ours as well, considering that Matt Forte is nothing to sneeze at. Alshon Jeffery and Brandon marshall claim to be the best WR pair in the NFL, even if I think that they don't have the depth of talent the Bills do.

Two years ago, Chicago had the #2 Defense in the league, and their slide was helped by losing 5 starters to injury.(Though you can argue Lovie Smith helped with that). Those guys will be back.

And we're playing them at home, on the home opener, in Soldier's field, where we can expect a lot of crowd noise.

I'm not saying that the Bills can't win. The D-line is looking very special and as I watch Sammy and Mike Williams get into synch with EJ, it looks like he has two targets who can make him look good on errant throws, while Woods looks like he is still in perfect route running mode on catches which move the chains. But I think that anyone who looks at the game as not being an uphill battle is overly optimistic, and that's coming from a Kool-Aid drinker.

Their D has to be better this year. It literally could not be worse. But can't blame going from #2 to worst on injuries. We had injuries too. I think losing Lovie hurt that side of the ball, and a combination of age and inexperience. Some starters are slowing down, others are rookies. Few in their prime. Jmo.

Fwiw, schwartzy swept them last year. He should know something.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Not to thread hijack but was anyone listening to this douchebag when a caller just passing through the area called in to try to make a point that the station sounded like it was owned by Robert Kraft cuz of how negative against the bills schlep sounded....schlep immediately cut the guy off and told him he didn't care about his opinion or call cuz he is not a regular listener....if in my job, I treated a patient that was just in town for that day and told them I didn't care about their business cuz they weren't a regular patient and my company got wind of this, I would immediately be shown the door....also...no one gives a crap about your personal life so please refrain from bringing up constantly on the air. I wish the would extend rich gaenzler on 1270 to compete with wgr...so much better....I wish sal would jump ship to 1270 as well cuz I think he should have his own show.

name='Dorkington' timestamp='1406638518' post='3189140']

Ok, first thing I did was go to Wiki...[/u]

1993, beat the Cowboys... the eventual Superbowl Champions (against us)

1994, beat the Patriots (Wild Card team), and Dolphins (1st AFCE)

1995, beat the Colts (Wild Card team)

1996, beat the Eagles (Wild Card team)

1997, no road wins against playoff teams, but did beat the 9-7 Jets

1999, beat the Dolphins (Wild Card team), and Washington (1st NFCE)

2001, beat the Jets (Wild Card team)

2002, no road wins against playoff teams, but did beat the 9-7 Dolphins

2004, beat the Seahawks (1st NFCW)

2005, beat the Bengals (1st AFCN)

2006, beat the Jets (Wild Card team)

2007, beat Washington (Wild Card team)

2009, beat the Jets (Wild Card team)

So, other than those, Schopp was spot on. Way to go Mike! (thanks for the research)

Edited by BarkLessWagMore

This! There's been a few since 1992, but close to none since 1999. I guess you could argue the road win against the Seahawks in 2004 and Redskins in 2007 as there was still a chance they could make the playoffs, but other then that those other games were pretty meaningless. Schopp has a point, he's just off on the years. I would be pretty surprised if the Bills beat the Bears on opening day and if they did it would tell me the Bears are in for a bad to average season and not necessarily that the Bills are a good team just because of this teams recent history of being a below average football franchise.

I don't know that it should tell you either of those things; all it tells you is that Buffalo scored more points than Chicago.

I mean, think back to when Kevin Kolb and the Cardinals beat NE in week 2 of 2012 as part of their 4-0 start; did that mean that Arizona was good or that NE was in for a bad year? Neither. NE made the AFC Championship game, and Arizona finished 5-11.

I hate Schopp but his point is well taken. It is hard to have big road wins though when you are rarely playing in big games. Honestly, some of these late in the year road games over the last decade they were better off losing.

In addition, I am not a big fan of things from 10 years ago. What difference does it make it different players (and coaches) lost to other different players in 2004? Those guys aren't going to have an impact on the road games this year so who cares?!? Now if you want to deal with the current group it's a different story and much more applicable.

Edited by Kirby Jackson