Favorite beer?

YoloinOhio

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, let me get my one beer rant out of the way right now.

Go into Total Wine last week to get a case of Hop Sun from Southern Tier, only the greatest summer beer ever...and it is no longer on the shelves...cause you know why sell a summer beer in the actual freakin summer!!!!! Stop shipping it in June!!!!!

I am sure we will start to see the Pumpkin Beers and Sams Octoberfest and and the rest of the Autumn beers out any time now...right during the dog days of summer...cause whats better to refresh on a steamy 98 degree summer day than Sams Octoberfest!

We have one microbrewery down here, called Licking Hole Creek..farm too. They only brew with stuff they grow on the farm.

Their pumpkin ale was released in November last year...what a novel idea.

http://www.lickingho...eek.com/2013/10

Easterbrrok is right, there is creep in everything these days

The timing of seasonal brews is a frequent complaint of mine too. By the time I really want a nice pumpkin ale, which I start to crave in October, or xmas ale, which start to sound like a nice option in December for whatever reason, theres few to be found.

Great thread, many great mentions, so I’ll offer my 2 cents:

Pilsners/Lagers: Just say OV – and usually for a great price. Blue and Blue Light are as solid as they come.

IPAs: Lots of great options like Ithaca Flower Power IPA and Dogfish Head 60-90-120 etc, but for my money, Victory’s HopDevil never disappoints and will have you well on your way after two.

Brown Ales: I love Rusty Chain from Flying Bison, but ultimately there is nothing that gets me going like a few Newcastle Brown Ales – truly the one and only.

Porters/Stouts: Guinness Extra Stout, obviously. Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald is quite splendid, and being a Gordon Lightfoot fan is just icing on the cake for me.

Summer Beers: Sierra Nevada Summerfest is highly enjoyable, and I recommend giving Leinenkugel’s Sunset Wheat a try.

“In it for the long haul”: Hard to argue with the superior drinkability of Bud Light, but if your money is right, Heineken is time tested & has always been good to me the next day. I always hear people complain about it’s skunkiness, but I can’t say I have ever run into a problem with it.

Oh, and I like everything I have tried from Southern Tier Brewing.

Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp

Sounds like you were in the Army... I was in Schweinfurt and Bad Kissigen for a while... 12 years ago- probably even spelled them wrong...

Not quite. A Civy working with TDY papers, I was testing Comm equipment (sold to the US Army) at the Stuttgart Army Garrison. way back in 1985, but I'm sure the beer hasn't gotten worse.

WRT flavored beer ...

If you have to "spice up" the beer with anything but hops, then it's not a beer, its a fruit cocktail

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Not quite. A Civy working with TDY papers, I was testing Comm equipment (sold to the US Army) at the Stuttgart Army Garrison. way back in 1985, but I'm sure the beer hasn't gotten worse.

WRT flavored beer ...

If you have to "spice up" the beer with anything but hops, then it's not a beer, its a fruit cocktail

1985?? I didn't know it was called Germany back then, lol...

I was 3...

WRT flavored beer ...

You're missing out on a lot of good stuff.

You're missing out on a lot of good stuff.

call me a purist. I like my beer simple,

When a wait "person" brings me a brew with a lemon or lime stuffed in it, I tell them to take it back and bring me another because I ordered a beer not a fruit cocktail.

If I want pumpkin flavored beer, I'll order a slice of Pumpkin pie with my beer.

Though I love the IPA's they are just too strong for the long hall, especially in the summer. Yuengling has a decent flavor for a lager. Basically, anything that doesn't end in light, has the name of or is best served with a fruit will do.

I'm not a real beer snob, but I do enjoy some of our local brews. You wouldn't think it, but Utah has some award-winning microbreweries.

One of my favorites was a Nitro Cream Ale brewed by Squatter's downtown. Incredibly smooth. I think they stopped brewing it, though.

My new favorite is from Epic Brewing. They bill themselves as "Utah’s first brewery since prohibition to brew exclusively high alcohol content beer." They make a fall seasonal called "Fest Devious", which is just about the best beer I've ever had.

I'm not a real beer snob, but I do enjoy some of our local brews. You wouldn't think it, but Utah has some award-winning microbreweries.

One of my favorites was a Nitro Cream Ale brewed by Squatter's downtown. Incredibly smooth. I think they stopped brewing it, though.

My new favorite is from Epic Brewing. They bill themselves as "Utah’s first brewery since prohibition to brew exclusively high alcohol content beer." They make a fall seasonal called "Fest Devious", which is just about the best beer I've ever had.

I saw some unexpected names for local beers there in the past few months for a Mormon town

Polygamy Porter is one that sticks out

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

For those in the Buffalo area, look for the Big Ditch Brewing Company opening in the next month or so. My buddy's brother is the brew master and I'm really looking forward to their opening. They're located on Huron and Ellicott next to Tappo Restaurant. They are very excited to be able to open up downtown and contribute to Buffalo resurgence.

http://www.bigditchbrewing.com/

Woodman, I am right on your wavelength. And out of great respect for your affinity for redheads and/or high school girls, I will have to give this one a try.

Say man, you got a joint?

Anyways, definitely try it. I had about 10 of them on St. Patty's Day at a bar that was doing 2-for-1 anything Irish. I got pretty hammed up to say the least.

I saw some unexpected names for local beers there in the past few months for a Mormon town

Polygamy Porter is one that sticks out

Oh yeah, there are some good ones. Polygamy Porter is probably the most famous. There was also a St. Provo's Girl as well (playing off St. Pauli's Girl), but I think they had to change the name to just Provo Girl. It seems like brewers have laid off the Mormon names lately, though.

call me a purist. I like my beer simple,

When a wait "person" brings me a brew with a lemon or lime stuffed in it, I tell them to take it back and bring me another because I ordered a beer not a fruit cocktail.

If I want pumpkin flavored beer, I'll order a slice of Pumpkin pie with my beer.

"Testosterone spill on Aisle 9"

I am definitely trying to drink less beer but for anyone who isn't, these are all fine selections (some seasonal)

Ballast Point Sculpin

Southern Tier 2XIPA + Hop Sun

Jolly Pumpkin La Roja

Left Hand Milk Stout (Nitro)

Ayinger Celebrator

Gugny and BillFan-4-Ever, you two should get together and try these!!!

Currently in the fridge...

Fiddlehead IPA

Long Trail Ale

Miller High Life

A half a growler of some IPA I bought yesterday.

The Fiddlehead is my favorite. I think it's from a local VT microbrewery.

I'll have to look out for that Fiddlehead.

I can't lie, the High Life is very drinkable and just fine on a summer's day.

Rubes, i always have a couple of Epics Sour Apple Saison in the fridge. Only comes in the bigger bottles, and a little pricey at$8/bottle..but if you like Saisons get one of those. Prolly even better being right there.

Another Beer from Utah i like is the Uinta Hop Notch IPA..that is very good...and also comes in cans :thumbsup:

My old hometown of Canandaigua, NY has a great craft brewery that makes some awesome beers. Naked Dove (nakeddovebrewing.com). I really like their American Brown and Windblown Amber. They don't sell bottles or cans, but a lot of local bars carry their beer and it seems to be making its way around NY. You can also get tastings and growlers at the brewery.

Edited by chknwing334

Rubes, i always have a couple of Epics Sour Apple Saison in the fridge. Only comes in the bigger bottles, and a little pricey at$8/bottle..but if you like Saisons get one of those. Prolly even better being right there.

Another Beer from Utah i like is the Uinta Hop Notch IPA..that is very good...and also comes in cans :thumbsup:

They do make great Saisons, yes. Epic started up a brewpub/restaurant a block from my house, and they sell their beer there. So now I can walk a block and pick up Epic brews on a moment's notice.

Another one I like a lot is the Czech Pilsner from Bohemian Brewery, which is in Midvale UT, only a short drive away. Good stuff -- and comes in cans.

Edited by Rubes

I see a preference to cans vs bottles... Is there an underlying fear of skunkiness or what?

As Seinfeld says "what issss the deal"

Skunk is a factor of light penetration. Light breaks down the hops and produces off flavors. Cans don't let any light in, but some people complain that cans produce a metallic flavor, which is a matter of much debate. Brown bottles let in some light but not too much. Green bottles allow more light than brown. If they aren't completely hidden from light, beer will readily turn to skunk piss in clear bottles.

Edited by Jauronimo

Skunk is a factor of light penetration. Light breaks down the hops and produces off flavors. Cans don't let any light in, but some people complain that cans produce a metallic flavor, which is a matter of much debate. Brown bottles let in some light but not too much. Green bottles allow more light than brown. If they aren't completely hidden from light, beer will readily turn to skunk piss in clear bottles.

Interesting... I always use green bottles when putting up my wine, but it also stays in the basement....

. Epic started up a brewpub/restaurant a block from my house, and they sell their beer there. So now I can walk a block and pick up Epic brews on a moment's notice.

if the food was half decent, i would have to move as i would go broke eating/drinking there every night!