Bills officially for sale - let the bidding begin!

Go back and read his tweets again and think about it; he has very little, if anything, to lose by saying what he said yesterday. Again, very little, if any, will be verifiable now and after the bid process is complete. Anyone bidding basically has to "present plans to stay in Buffalo long-term." For purposes of the lease and the fan base (think ticket sales) no prospective owner- with years left on a seemingly iron clad lease- is going to outwardly say they are buying the team to move them.

These tweets don't really tell us anything we don't already know and give him ample opportunity to claim victory when Pegula or Golisano get the team.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The source was part of an ownership group with Jim Kelly and knows him personally. They allegedly had a deal to purchase the Bills several years ago, but Ralph backed out. The group is no longer together/won't be bidding on the team, which is unfortunate because I was hoping to get inside info in the future and think this may be my last. The source stated Pegs as owner matter-of-factly, but I reserve the right to trust but wait for verification.

But admittedly, it's not a difficult prediction to make. Pegs has the money, owns another pro franchise, is an upstanding citizen, and wants to keep the team in Buffalo.

Sounds good, thanks for the info.

Yeah you would think if the trustees had any wiggle room at all regarding which offer to take, Pegula would be at the top of their list.

They wouldn't need wiggle room with Pegula. He's can bid competitively with just about anyone. Unless the Bills go for more than 2 billion to some guy out of left field whose worth 20-30 billion and just wants a toy. And I don't think any of us thinks that will be the case.

and he's full of BS because he can't afford the team himself. his loot is coming from his partners in Toronto and do you think they want to invest all of that money for the team to stay in Buffalo? i hope they see through this charade because it's pretty obvious what is happening here

What if Bon Jovi is a minority owner with a Pegula or Golisano,etc.? Bon Jovi might not be as in bed with Toronto as we think. Not that I want Bon Jovi as owner, just throwing out food for thought.

And lookie here. The field gets smaller: https://twitter.com/johnkryk

Edited by purple haze

They wouldn't need wiggle room with Pegula. He's can bid competitively with just about anyone. Unless the Bills go for more than 2 billion to some guy out of left field whose worth 20-30 billion and just wants a toy. And I don't think any of us thinks that will be the case.

Just because Pegula can afford any bidding war doesn't mean he'll go beyond what's reasonable. I also don't think you need 20-30 billion in order to create that situation for Pegula. That's what fans are most concerned about, will someone so grossly over bid beyond economic sense for a Buffalo market.

Just because Pegula can afford any bidding war doesn't mean he'll go beyond what's reasonable. I also don't think you need 20-30 billion in order to create that situation for Pegula. That's what fans are most concerned about, will someone so grossly over bid beyond economic sense for a Buffalo market.

I'm just going by this tweet from a few weeks back:

Jeff Russo@JeffRussoWKBW

Source: #Sabres owner Terry Pegula and his wife Kim interested in making a bid on the #Buffalo #BIlls. Determined to win bid.

We'll see now determined they are. My sense is that, for the Pegula's, the Bills are part of a larger plan for the area. They aren't just buying the Bills to keep them in WNY. That is the main thing, but it seems to me the Sabres, Bills and community development is the Pegula plan. Just a hunch.

I can't say I'm at all concerned about someone "over-bidding". That over-bid could just as likely come from a WNY centric owner. Including a WNY centric owner not from WNY who has no designs on moving the team, but just wants to be in the NFL country club and have a team to claim and play with on a national stage. As long as the NFL has revenue sharing the spiel about the Bills or any small market team being worth so much more in LA doesn't hold water for me. If it were the NBA or NFL, then yeah, but in the NFL the important thing, television money, is shared; teams can't cut their own tv deals like the Lakers and the Yankees. At this point I'm not worried about the Bills leaving at all. I'm more interested in what WNY centric owner it will be. I'm hoping Pegula.

Edited by purple haze

Sounds good, thanks for the info.

No problem. Actually the connection to my source works at my surgery center and I ask her every few days if she's heard anything new. I can't remember how the topic first came up, but she said she visited Rochester often because her cousin was married to the source, who has a lot of money and was good friends with Kelly. She asked if I wanted something signed by him and I said "sure." She mentioned a football so I went with that, and after about a year, I got it. He spelled my name wrong despite three tries, but it was still pretty cool to get. I'm hoping he can still be a source of info even though he won't be a part-owner.

Jeff Russo@JeffRussoWKBW

Source: #Sabres owner Terry Pegula and his wife Kim interested in making a bid on the #Buffalo #BIlls. Determined to win bid.

We'll see now determined they are. My sense is that, for the Pegula's, the Bills are part of a larger plan for the area. They aren't just buying the Bills to keep them in WNY. That is the main thing, but it seems to me the Sabres, Bills and community development is the Pegula plan. Just a hunch.

Why do I envision Terry and Kim dancing around to "we built this city"?

Report: Rogers will not make bid on Bills

A report from the Toronto Sun Tuesday morning, has indicated that Edward Rogers III will not make a bid on the Buffalo Bills.

"Even though the Rogers family fortune was estimated last fall by Canadian Business magazine to be $7.6 billion, two sources said Rogers himself was not in a position to be a sole bidder for the NFL club," John Kryk reported.

Even though Rogers won't be heading the Toronto group to bid for the Bills, it is unclear whether Rogers will end up becoming a minority investor under Jon Bon Jovi and Larry Tanenbaum.

However, the Toronto Sun reports that "the groups once unwavering intention apparently has changed in recent weeks," when it comes to relocating the Bills to Toronto.

"The Bills aren't leaving western New York this decade, and probably a lot longer that that. Even to Toronto."

http://www.wgr550.com/Report-Rogers-will-not-make-bid-on-Bills/19323337

Jeff Russo@JeffRussoWKBW

I can't say I'm at all concerned about someone "over-bidding". That over-bid could just as likely come from a WNY centric owner. Including a WNY centric owner not from WNY who has no designs on moving the team, but just wants to be in the NFL country club and have a team to claim and play with on a national stage. As long as the NFL has revenue sharing the spiel about the Bills or any small market team being worth so much more in LA doesn't hold water for me. If it were the NBA or NFL, then yeah, but in the NFL the important thing, television money, is shared; teams can't cut their own tv deals like the Lakers and the Yankees. At this point I'm not worried about the Bills leaving at all. I'm more interested in what WNY centric owner it will be. I'm hoping Pegula.

you should be worried. Assuming a new stadium in the near term is a absolute requirement of the league and the owners for approving a buyer (and from what the league and the most influential owners are saying, it is) the fact the Ralph exists and is paid for no longer matters. So, if you have to pay $1B for the team and contribute to a $1B stadium no matter where you put the franchise, would it not make sense to put it in a city with the largest potential source of non-shared (luxury suites, merchandise, etc) revenue? Hard to imagine the team staying in WNY unless Pegula and crew are willing to overpay big time, and then build a stadium that is not needed. Maybe they will. Lets hope so. Doesn't look like NYS is going to pay much for a stadium if anything, so the owner will be on his or her own. I don't like the looks of this. Money wins every time at this level.

Edited by 8and8Forever

Report: Rogers will not make bid on Bills

A report from the Toronto Sun Tuesday morning, has indicated that Edward Rogers III will not make a bid on the Buffalo Bills.

"Even though the Rogers family fortune was estimated last fall by Canadian Business magazine to be $7.6 billion, two sources said Rogers himself was not in a position to be a sole bidder for the NFL club," John Kryk reported.

Even though Rogers won't be heading the Toronto group to bid for the Bills, it is unclear whether Rogers will end up becoming a minority investor under Jon Bon Jovi and Larry Tanenbaum.

However, the Toronto Sun reports that "the groups once unwavering intention apparently has changed in recent weeks," when it comes to relocating the Bills to Toronto.

"The Bills aren't leaving western New York this decade, and probably a lot longer that that. Even to Toronto."

http://www.wgr550.com/Report-Rogers-will-not-make-bid-on-Bills/19323337

This is great news. 1 less billionaire to drive up the price. Either they decided that it would be too difficult to move the team or they made a deal with the Bon Jovi group to stay out of it or go in with them. I still see the Bon Jovi group as our biggest threat. They will lie and say they will keep the team in WNY but as soon as they get the chance they are out of here, as reported by the Toronto Sun

post-19968-0-39208800-1404215578_thumb.jpg

you should be worried. Assuming a new stadium in the near term is a absolute requirement of the league and the owners for approving a buyer (and from what the league and the most influential owners are saying, it is) the fact the Ralph exists and is paid for no longer matters. So, if you have to pay $1B for the team and contribute to a $1B stadium no matter where you put the franchise, would it not make sense to put it in a city with the largest potential source of non-shared (luxury suites, merchandise, etc) revenue? Hard to imagine the team staying in WNY unless Pegula and crew are willing to overpay big time, and then build a stadium that is not needed. Maybe they will. Lets hope so. Doesn't look like NYS is going to pay much for a stadium if anything, so the owner will be on his or her own. I don't like the looks of this. Money wins every time at this level.

One thing you dont mention, the next Bills owner will not have to pay for a stadium fully in WNY, in fact they may get a sweet deal. There are other investors, like Jacobs that can help with a stadium and has said so. Losing local bidders can help with the stadium. Erie County can help.

Also, you wont see a hug over payment from anyone. The Bills are worth between 1-1.2 billion. There is no one that will pay much more..It has to be 80% cash I believe.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Who is going to overpay?

Tanenbaum is worth just North of $1 Billion, and Bon Jovi has like $300-$400 million, probably after selling a lot of guitars. MLSE as an entire company is "only" worth just over $2 Billion and that includes some of Tanenbaum's equity. Leiweke has a lot of money, but not a billionaire.

If Pegula wants it, he is going to get it. Rogers' bid was the one real threat of Toronto coming over the top and taking it. I guess there are various boogeymen still in LA who would/could overpay, but Toronto has always been the threat here.

Edited by May Day 10

Who is going to overpay?

Tanenbaum is worth just North of $1 Billion, and Bon Jovi has like $300-$400 million, probably after selling a lot of guitars. MLSE as an entire company is "only" worth just over $2 Billion and that includes some of Tanenbaum's equity. Leiweke has a lot of money, but not a billionaire.

If Pegula wants it, he is going to get it. Rogers' bid was the one real threat of Toronto coming over the top and taking it. I guess there are various boogeymen still in LA who would/could overpay, but Toronto has always been the threat here.

I dont know why Pegula has not been leaked yet as the next owner. I mean everyone I talked to say its a done deal.

Im going to guess within the next month it leaks.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

In many ways, Kryk's article is validating the Massare tweets --- maybe trust is indeed requiring bidders to have long term Buffalo plan -- that would explain Rogers opting out of going it alone and would also explain JBJ's change of heart with respect to moving team --- in end, I still don't trust JBJ --- but, this could seal deal for local guy !

It sounds like Rogers isn't liquid enough or doesn't want to liquidate his assets to be a majority owner. I can't blame him. He'd have to sell a lot of assets for a possibility of being able to move the team in six years. These guys should have just bid on the Jags.

I guess the NFL will have to allow the Bills/Pegula to go about their way and assess when/if/how they can move a team in Toronto.

I have said it before, I would love a Division with Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Detroit (or Cincy), and Toronto