Bills officially for sale - let the bidding begin!

Does anybody with sources know why Mary Wilson wants to sell so hastily? Just curious.

A few reasons ranging from securing the team's future in WNY as quickly as possible to getting the ball rolling on the stadium; for good measure toss in wanting to wash her hands of the responsibility and, well, you get the point.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Kryk reporting that the Bon Jovi meeting with Goodell entailed him being told they need a long term plan on how the Bills will prosper in WNY and that they are not to be moved...so their pitch of buying the team and moving it to Toronto is pretty much DOA...said all prospective owners are being told they need a plan to make it work here long term which is why there has been an abrupt change of course in comments coming out. Also said the team likely will not be sold to anyone trying to move it.

Some great news, and it seems this dude is better connected than a lot of Buffalo reporters, which is sad...

sounds good. This means high bidder does not get the team, because Goodell will block a move to a more lucrative market. Good. hey, the NFL is a private club and the club makes the rules

Who is going to overpay?

Tanenbaum is worth just North of $1 Billion, and Bon Jovi has like $300-$400 million, probably after selling a lot of guitars. MLSE as an entire company is "only" worth just over $2 Billion and that includes some of Tanenbaum's equity. Leiweke has a lot of money, but not a billionaire.

If Pegula wants it, he is going to get it. Rogers' bid was the one real threat of Toronto coming over the top and taking it. I guess there are various boogeymen still in LA who would/could overpay, but Toronto has always been the threat here.

Don't you think there is a very serious bidder out there who is flying completely under the radar? If I had the money and wanted to buy the Bills, I would keep everything completely quiet. I would not be surprised if the winning bidder is someone we have not heard about at all.

I was told by a high level person from a local company that was thought to be a early interested bidder that Pegula is buying the team and the bid price is in the area of $1.2B. This company is currently discussing a business deal with Pegula/Sabres for the HarborCenter so take it for what it's worth but given what's being said and reported in the last 48 hours, this info from last week matches that.

Don't you think there is a very serious bidder out there who is flying completely under the radar? If I had the money and wanted to buy the Bills, I would keep everything completely quiet. I would not be surprised if the winning bidder is someone we have not heard about at all.

There is at least one since it was reported there are 3 bidders with wny ties and only two of them are known.

There is

I was told by a high level person from a local company that was thought to be a early interested bidder that Pegula is buying the team and the bid price is in the area of $1.2B. This company is currently discussing a business deal with Pegula/Sabres for the HarborCenter so take it for what it's worth but given what's being said and reported in the last 48 hours, this info from last week matches that.

Wouldn't surprise me if he's got the inside track in all this...it would, however, surprise me if it were that close to a done deal.

I'm not doubting that you hear that; just thinking it may be a bit (and I do mean just a bit) early for this to be locked in. I suspect we're about another month away from hearing a solid leak about the sale.

There is

Wouldn't surprise me if he's got the inside track in all this...it would, however, surprise me if it were that close to a done deal.

I'm not doubting that you hear that; just thinking it may be a bit (and I do mean just a bit) early for this to be locked in. I suspect we're about another month away from hearing a solid leak about the sale.

Or just look in the owners box at the hall of fame game :P

I doubt any sightings will happen during training camp.

Edited by The Wiz

If the trustees have a twisted sense of humor they would put JBJ in the box ;)

I should get a cardboard cutout of him and bring it to camp.

Though I might get killed.

Edited by The Wiz

Rogers was always the biggest threat. The Toronto series being an "insurance policy" on RW's life, the $8 Billion ROgers is worth, buying the NHL rights for like $4 Million, etc.

there are only a couple of others from Toronto capable of setting the price in the ridiculous range. One of them is the owner of the Winnipeg Jets, and the other is Galen Weston, who doesnt seem to have any connection to or interest in sports

BTW, my source said a new stadium is coming but it was unclear whether Pegs was going to pay for it, or someone else like the Jacobs'.

Good stuff, thanks.

Pegulas plan seems to be to try and restore the city of Buffalo to its former greatness, and it was great at one point...not many people remember that in 1900, only a little more than 100 years ago, Buffalo was the richest city per capita in the United States...

If he succeeds, he literally will change the course of history for this city's future...along with Cuomo investing $1 billion in Buffalo, these might be the push that gets us over the top...

Cuomo had to make up for his Dads decade of neglect for anywhere outside of NYC...

Not sure Buffalo will ever reach its previous level of prosperity but I applaud people like TP that have the willingness, the funding, and perhaps the vision to make things happen. Restoring the city center with things like Harbor Center seems like a worthy goal. With this I support the downtown stadium idea which could lead to all kinds of activity springing up around it.

Buffalo continues to get a bad rap but I think its generally from people who have never been there. The weather issues are overrated. Sure it snows but the city rarely has any downtime as a result. This can't be said about many east coast cities but its generally true of the cities around the Great Lakes, another resource that can't be underestimated. Fresh water something many cities, for example the US southwest, are experienceing shortages (or maybe no shortage of water but too many people stressing the environment being the problem). Add hydroelectric power to the list of pluses and close proximity to the Canadian market.

The big hang up probably being the high tax environment.

I lost a lot of respect for Jaws yesterday when he sided with JBJ against the family. Not cool, Jaws, not cool.

I agree. What kind of nonsense is he trying to sell us? We are supposed to believe JBJ (a minority owner) would keep a team funded by Toronto money-men in Buffalo, NY long term? Jaws is smarter than that and I feel betrayed that he would stick his neck out for a guy that is trying to destroy his hometown. I used to think Jaws was one of our own but now I see he has no loyalty to us and he identifies more with Philly. Jaws is a traitor and I no longer view him as a son of Buffalo

Best line of the article was the last, "For those counting at home, that's two doomed Bills-in-Toronto ventures to die an overdue death this year." THANK GOD!!

Best comment on the article was this one :D "I know for a fact that, "Jaws: The Revenge" was entirely believable. 'Specially when that shark followed their plane across the Atlantic Ocean. Stellar, top-notch film."