Bills officially for sale - let the bidding begin!

I guess the NFL will have to allow the Bills/Pegula to go about their way and assess when/if/how they can move a team in Toronto.

I have said it before, I would love a Division with Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Detroit (or Cincy), and Toronto

The problem is that Toronto is considered part of the Bills market, and any other team would have to pay a hefty relocation fee or expansion fee. It's the same situation as LA, where the Chargers claim it's their market. No one wants to pay those fees and then give 31/32 of their revenue to the league.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the NFL will have to allow the Bills/Pegula to go about their way and assess when/if/how they can move a team in Toronto.

I have said it before, I would love a Division with Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Detroit (or Cincy), and Toronto

I still like the idea of the bills and ravens switching division.

I still like the idea of the bills and ravens switching division.

That would be the easiest move. The Ravens already have a nice rivalry brewing with thePats. That would create a true AFC East and an awesome AFC North.

That would be the easiest move. The Ravens already have a nice rivalry brewing with thePats. That would create a true AFC East and an awesome AFC North.

Not to mention we have a semi rivalry with the browns.

It makes so much sense it won't happen.

The problem is that Toronto is considered part of the Bills market, and any other team would have to pay a hefty relocation fee or expansion fee. It's the same situation as LA, where the Chargers claim it's their market. No one wants to pay those fees and then give 31/32 of their revenue to the league.

My understand is that the NFL did not consider Canadian territory to be part of the Bills market and only considers the U.S. territory when determining markets. That is why Buffalo is a small market team.

If Toronto was considered to be part of the Bills market that would make the Bills one of the largest market teams in the league since the population of Toronto and Southern Ontario exceeds most NFL cities and its surrounding population centers. Does the league consider Vancouver to be part of the Seattle market? The distance between the two NFL cities and their Canadian counterparts is about the same. Windsor and western Ontario part of Detriot? But then again, I don't know this for sure, just sayin'.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

My understand is that the NFL did not consider Canadian territory to be part of the Bills market and only considers the U.S. territory when determining markets. That is why Buffalo is a small market team.

If Toronto was considered to be part of the Bills market that would make the Bills one of the largest market teams in the league since the population of Toronto and Southern Ontario exceeds most NFL cities and its surrounding population centers. Does the league consider Vancouver to be part of the Seattle market? The distance between to two NFL cities and their Canadian counterparts is about the same. Windsor and western Ontario part of Detriot? But then again, I don't know this for sure, just sayin'.

If Toronto wasn't part of the Bills market, then anyone that wanted to move them there would have to pay a relocation fee to the NFL. Tim Graham said the NFL considers Toronto to be part of the Bills market, but take that with a grain of salt.

Either way it's good for the Bills being in WNY. There is a further barrier to Toronto or the team gets a big check if another club moves there.

Edited by Fingon

John Kryk reporting that the Bon Jovi meeting with Goodell entailed him being told they need a long term plan on how the Bills will prosper in WNY and that they are not to be moved...so their pitch of buying the team and moving it to Toronto is pretty much DOA...said all prospective owners are being told they need a plan to make it work here long term which is why there has been an abrupt change of course in comments coming out. Also said the team likely will not be sold to anyone trying to move it.

Some great news, and it seems this dude is better connected than a lot of Buffalo reporters, which is sad...

Edited by matter2003

If Toronto was considered to be part of the Bills market that would make the Bills one of the largest market teams in the league since the population of Toronto and Southern Ontario exceeds most NFL cities and its surrounding population centers. Does the league consider Vancouver to be part of the Seattle market? The distance between the two NFL cities and their Canadian counterparts is about the same. Windsor and western Ontario part of Detriot? But then again, I don't know this for sure, just sayin'.

I believe this is correct in part. The NFL doesn't consider Canada to be part of their revenue (TV market). I don't believe they can due to their not for profit status with the government. This point was brought up before about if someone tried to move the team to Canada. Their status could be revisited and possibly revoked since they would become an international organization.

I know there are international not for profit orgs but the NFL is a little different than Teach for All.

Also if it was considered part of our market someone could potential move the team without having to worry about the relocation fee.

Edited by The Wiz

I'm just going by this tweet from a few weeks back:

Jeff Russo@JeffRussoWKBW

Source: #Sabres owner Terry Pegula and his wife Kim interested in making a bid on the #Buffalo #BIlls. Determined to win bid.

We'll see now determined they are. My sense is that, for the Pegula's, the Bills are part of a larger plan for the area. They aren't just buying the Bills to keep them in WNY. That is the main thing, but it seems to me the Sabres, Bills and community development is the Pegula plan. Just a hunch.

I can't say I'm at all concerned about someone "over-bidding". That over-bid could just as likely come from a WNY centric owner. Including a WNY centric owner not from WNY who has no designs on moving the team, but just wants to be in the NFL country club and have a team to claim and play with on a national stage. As long as the NFL has revenue sharing the spiel about the Bills or any small market team being worth so much more in LA doesn't hold water for me. If it were the NBA or NFL, then yeah, but in the NFL the important thing, television money, is shared; teams can't cut their own tv deals like the Lakers and the Yankees. At this point I'm not worried about the Bills leaving at all. I'm more interested in what WNY centric owner it will be. I'm hoping Pegula.

Pegulas plan seems to be to try and restore the city of Buffalo to its former greatness, and it was great at one point...not many people remember that in 1900, only a little more than 100 years ago, Buffalo was the richest city per capita in the United States...

If he succeeds, he literally will change the course of history for this city's future...along with Cuomo investing $1 billion in Buffalo, these might be the push that gets us over the top...

Cuomo had to make up for his Dads decade of neglect for anywhere outside of NYC...

Edited by matter2003

Does anybody with sources know why Mary Wilson wants to sell so hastily? Just curious.

Nothing from a source, but she never wanted to own the team. So better to sell sooner rather than later.

Does anybody with sources know why Mary Wilson wants to sell so hastily? Just curious.

Nothing from a source, but she never wanted to own the team. So better to sell sooner rather than later.

Also there is no point in dragging it out and keeping the team in limbo.

I read in one of the threads here (maybe even earlier in this one) that there are tax benefits to selling by a certain date. I don't recall the details, I am sure someone will know though.