Offseasons practices, who should win, offense or defense?

boyst

27 members have voted

1. 1. In an offseason activity and training camp, which unit should prevail?

• offense
    • defense

I am curious the boards opinion. It bothers me when we see all of these OTA highlights showing major defensive success or lackluster offensive performance.

I believe offense should prevail. The practices and and setup are more conducive to offensive success, with no real contact and patsy blocking the offense should be able to gain yards. Without pads, the QB wearing a red jersey, and the slightest contact drawing a play dead...yeah, offense.

Defense is very good, possibly elite potential

Offense was below average, and needs to work its way up starting with EJ

Why should the offense win? The defense is much better

because the practices are all set up to allow the offense to succeed.

Defense.

With the offense still trying to perfect their timing routes and get the playbook down there will be more INTs and incompletions, and with any contact "drawing a play dead," wouldn't that aid the defense? It's basically two hand touch, so it doesn't allow for the receivers and running backs to break any tackles and get any yards after contact, and all you have to do is run by the red shirted QB for it to be considered a sack, so there isn't much of a chance to ground the ball or throw it away.

I think it will be a question of timing as much as raw talent. In general, in particular because we have three legit Pro Bowl competitive level players on the DL, the DL has more talent (its major weakness last year was at LB particularly as Kiko slowed by nicks, but the FA addition of run stuffer Spikes and a cast of possibilities to make up in the DBs for the loss of Byrd). The D is by far more talented.

However, as time goes on:

1. The NFL is designed to advantage big O plays and our offense will gain over time from this advantage2. Training camp and early pre-season emphasize individual work ad unit or 7 on 7 drills. As the team begins more 11 on 11 work and pre-season games, the O begins to operate with its true complexity and will gain an advantage

3. D play stands out in one-on-one but as we move toward more real games then better chemistry also develops between Q and receivers and between runners and blockers.

D talent is better on this team but in the end O rules the roost.

Defense always starts out faster. Your instinctually reacting instead of thinking about the plays, waiting for the timing to develop between QB and WR, etc.

As time progresses and the offense get in rythem then they should be gaining. But with our defense being as good as it is, they might never catch up.

My opinion is that our stellar defense is only going to make our offense that much better. They may suck now but would you rather be practicing against a JV defense or someone who is going to challenge you to play your best in practice? I would say they'll get better because we have a great D. It'll also prepare them better for when the game does become full speed and contact is allowed.

All the offense needs to do for us to win is not turn the ball over and play moderately well not exceptional.

My opinion is that our stellar defense is only going to make our offense that much better. They may suck now but would you rather be practicing against a JV defense or someone who is going to challenge you to play your best in practice? I would say they'll get better because we have a great D. It'll also prepare them better for when the game does become full speed and contact is allowed.

All the offense needs to do for us to win is not turn the ball over and play moderately well not exceptional.

Agreed. It will take time for the offense to gel. Defense gets to react, although by changing back there will be some growing pains there as well. Hopefully by the end of august, the offense will be a machine and show real polish. I love that we are in the Hall of Fame game, and I believe that not only gives us a 5th pre-season game, but also an additional week of practice by league rules. This should be more than enough time to get to 53, and have momentum going into the regular season.

Defense always starts out faster. Your instinctually reacting instead of thinking about the plays, waiting for the timing to develop between QB and WR, etc.

As time progresses and the offense get in rythem then they should be gaining. But with our defense being as good as it is, they might never catch up.

This

I see the defense having all the advantages without pads.

1. Playmakers breaking tackles is omitted

2. YAC is eliminated

3. Escaping sacks is eliminated and just getting a paw on the QB stops play

4. The punishment of a physical running game is omitted

5. Upfront without pads the o line guys take up less space and there is less d guy to hit.

Mike Pettine talked about this at length the other day on the radio here after the Browns minicamp wrapped up. He said it is always the defense that starts out ahead of the offense. He gave a few example - it is hard for the OL to sustain blocks without pads, you usually have at least some new WRs who have just started working with QB and need to get timing down, and the defense doesn't (can't) finish the play without contact permitted so you can maybe assume the tackle or sack was made but in a real game the tackle could be missed, the offensive guy escapes, etc.

He also said new/old scheme doesn't matter on who is ahead. If you have the same OC (as in this case) they are always adding more in the playbook the guys have never seen, plus if you have a lot of new faces (as in this case) they have never played in the scheme. The defense, in this case, has a new DC but the coaches and players have consistently said their roles are basically the same and there is just some new terminology. As Schwartz mentioned, there is new terminology every year because you need to change it up on your divisional opponents.

good question.

we know the D was "good" in some stats last season w/a record # of sacks and INT's. these seem to be following suit in (yes) minicamp.

I wonder.... is the D that good or is the O lacking?

http://www.buffalobi...96-9ce27764f069

image currently on left Kiko attitude

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

In this case offense should be better as most players are entering second year in the system. Defense may have more talent but new system

But really it isn't. Same terminology, similsr scheme, all players saying not much is different