World Cup Thread

Today's Google Doodle is pretty funny; perfect for a Monday. Which raises the question, how are people getting viewing in around work? Our company is actually showing some of the games on the 20' video wall in the lobby -- pretty cool. Obviously online works pretty well -- good to have a two monitor setup.

https://www.google.com/

Edited by KD in CT

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today's Google Doodle is pretty funny; perfect for a Monday. Which raises the question, how are people getting viewing in around work? Our company is actually showing some of the games on the 20' video wall in the lobby -- pretty cool. Obviously online works pretty well -- good to have a two monitor setup.

That "B" that walks across the screen with a frown has a striking resemblance to Beerball.

all of our tv's that are normally tuned into one of the news channels has been showing all the games since they started, thursday we are doing a viewing event at noon for the US game, that should be fun

http://www.hollywood...ing-espn-714034

Team USA's dramatic 2-2 draw with Portugal Sunday night was the most watched World Cup game ever on ESPN, drawing an average 9.1 overnight rating for the sports network.

The broadcast ranked as the third-highest ever recorded in the U.S. English-speaking market for a World Cup match, behind two games carried on ABC, both of them during the 1994 World Cup, which was held in the U.S.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Magox

In perspective, the match got higher ratings on ESPN than their average MNF game.

18.2 million vs 13.3 million.

That does not count the people watching on WatchESPN (1 million) and univision (6 million).

Combined with the Univision audience, it beats the average World Series in the last 20 years except a couple in the 90s. Does not beat the NBA except a few crap years. Stanley Cup not really in the conversation on TV ratings--no one watches the Cup.

I wonder if this will translate at all to MLS ratings. The in-stadium live experience is pretty much sold out but it's never had much TV audience. I watch "my" team but except for the finals and maybe an occasional playoff game, don't watch many matches of other teams. Probably would if they were more available.

Edited by John Adams

In perspective, the match got higher ratings on ESPN than their average MNF game.

That does not count the people watching on WatchESPN (1 million) and univision (6 million).

Combined with the Univision audience, it beats the average World Series in the last 20 years except a couple in the 90s. Does not beat the NBA except a few crap years. Stanley Cup not really in the conversation on TV ratings--no one watches the Cup.

I wonder if this will translate at all to MLS ratings. The in-stadium live experience is pretty much sold out but it's never had much TV audience. I watch "my" team but except for the finals and maybe an occasional playoff game, don't watch many matches of other teams. Probably would if they were more available.

Like duh... We are all one country. It is a USA event... That is the only reason I pay attention, I could care lesss about the game. I would love to see the US kick azz in a sport the rest of the world thinks we suck @. US hegemony is all that matters!

Yeah, that's awesome. But it's a once in 4 year event supporting the country. MNF is weekly between teams most of the country doesn't care about. Not an exact comparison.

But it's great for soccer here. I loved the game. The real test will be if it will translate to MLS. I doubt it. But I definitely want to watch more of the elite football leagues in Europe.

Now, just stop the racism.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/early-doors/ronaldo-amazing-generous-gesture-sick-baby-115238032.html

Many people may call Ronaldo cocky and arrogant but no one cant say that he doesnt have a heart of gold.

CBF

I really don't know him except that he seems like a pretty boy. But that is awesome, plus it was a really cool haircut too.

Yeah, that's awesome. But it's a once in 4 year event supporting the country. MNF is weekly between teams most of the country doesn't care about. Not an exact comparison.

True, I'm comparing this WC vs others though. This WC is getting a ton of viewership and that's even with a US team with no star power. Before the WC, most of the 24M people who watched on Monday probably couldn't name a single player on the US team, and if they could even come up with a name, they would have guessed Donavan, who was cut.

At some point, the US will produce a breakout player--maybe not a Ronaldo but someone like Tim Howard but in the field. When that happens, the soccer viewrship will substantially spike up again. Until then, the yearly growth in attendance at MLS games, increased TV viewership, is great news.

One thing that's huge about soccer too: Girls and women like it. Not only are the US Women #1, but no matter who's playing both sexes relate to the athletes.

The US Women, when they play in the Olympics and WC, get big ratings. That's a mostly female viewership, although some of the guys are there just to see Alex Morgan, and who can blame them?

True, I'm comparing this WC vs others though. This WC is getting a ton of viewership and that's even with a US team with no star power. Before the WC, most of the 24M people who watched on Monday probably couldn't name a single player on the US team, and if they could even come up with a name, they would have guessed Donavan, who was cut.

At some point, the US will produce a breakout player--maybe not a Ronaldo but someone like Tim Howard but in the field. When that happens, the soccer viewrship will substantially spike up again. Until then, the yearly growth in attendance at MLS games, increased TV viewership, is great news.

One thing that's huge about soccer too: Girls and women like it. Not only are the US Women #1, but no matter who's playing both sexes relate to the athletes.

The US Women, when they play in the Olympics and WC, get big ratings. That's a mostly female viewership, although some of the guys are there just to see Alex Morgan, and who can blame them?

Agreed. And the women's World Cup is great too (I have summers off so I watch a lot).

I hope this will bring some young kids to soccer who normally won't play it. That's our biggest disadvantage. Football is the number #1 sport in pretty much every country but ours. There are tons of athletes playing other sports who would be stars if they grew up playing soccer.

Freddy Adu crapped out pretty hard huh?

Agreed. And the women's World Cup is great too (I have summers off so I watch a lot).

I hope this will bring some young kids to soccer who normally won't play it. That's our biggest disadvantage. Football is the number #1 sport in pretty much every country but ours. There are tons of athletes playing other sports who would be stars if they grew up playing soccer.

Freddy Adu crapped out pretty hard huh?

Soccer already draws a ton of youth players. We don't lack for interest. Hell, there are more kids playing soccer here than there are people in Costa Rica and Uruguay combined. The academy system here is just finally forming here though, and it's because of the rise in popularity in soccer. Give it about 10-15 years and the US will have several true world class talents. Those kids are 6-8 years old now and the academies will pick up on them in the next 2-5 years and give them top notch (sorry dad coaches) training. The trick is keeping the best players off the crappy school teams where they learn nothing from (generally) bad coaches. Sure our players have bad touch--that's because they get bad training early on in fundamentals. But worse, they get bad mental training late from lousy middle and high school coaches.

The problem with Freddy is that he was a crazy skilled 14 year old who never got taller or faster than he was at 14. I had the (dis)pleasure of seeing him play in Philly last year. He could still do some amazing things and even though it was clear he hit the weights, the guy was about 5-4 140 lbs. And he was godawful slow. Pretty ineffective on the field but had a little razzle dazzle here and there. Doug Flutie minus the heart. And he was a head case for some of those early years when he was the next Pele.

Edited by John Adams

They look good so far. 0-0 was my prediction. Sticking to that.

Piss poor forwards. A guy like Ciro Immobile scored 25 goals for Torino but has no big game experience. The midfield has looked good. Verratti has been class which is not surprising since he played all year at Paris SG.