World Cup Thread

Why would I explain this to you? You "lamest thing ever" valley girled up a soccer rule that's been around for a bazillion soccer matches and think that's a good topic of conversation?

Like me proposing that home runs be worth 2 instead of one? Or 2 strikes and you're out to speed up the game. Take away dribbling in basketball to make it more like Ultimate Frisbee? Play hockey with a ball instead of a puck? All of this as an admitted nonfan?

Non-elimination soccer games can end in ties. Just a fact. You can hate it but no soccer fan will really care to seriously debate such a fundamental rule of the game.

The way I understand it is ties happen in the round robin, which is like the regular season. This can happen in football. However, when you get to the next round, there are no ties. Honestly, if that game went on and the US lost, it would be completely devastated. Ties don't bother me. Plus, they are 3 points, so there is an extra reason to play to win.

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So...I know if the US and Germany tie both advance. If Germany wins (as expected), what results from Ghana/Portugal still put the U.S. through?

A tie -- yes

Ghana win -- ??

Portugal win -- yes?

Does it matter that the US beat Ghana, or is goal differential all that counts (which is why Portugal is a longshot)?

post-1532-14035336913314_thumb.jpg

So... can anyone explain why they have ties in the World Cup? It's pretty much the lamest thing ever.

There are only ties in the group stages. A win = 3 points, a tie = 1 point and a loss = 0.

Once the top two qualify, then there are no more ties as it becomes a bracket of 16. Winner advances, loser goes home.

Never mind that to reduce this, they made wins 3 points vs ties 1 point to give an incentive to win over a tie.

There are slight changes to the rules but my biggest fear is that it becomes "modernized". I like the sport the way it is. I hate the way the NHL has become (finishing games in shootouts, loser get's a point). The NFL does too many rule changes year after year.

To give you an idea, passbacks to the goalie cannot be handled as they once were allowed to. Ties became less advantageous by making a win 3 points. Extra time was changed from golden goal to silver goal. Real diving will get you a booking.

What about the flopping part? There's nothing they can do with it? I understand it's a big advantage if they can get a free kick or draw a card. but some are so blantant. They started fining guys in NBA. right now, IMO, it's the worst part of the game.

Not many American, English, or German fans would disagree. But it's a world sport and some people enjoy the show. Ever been dancing at a Hispanic dance club? No khakis and polos amigo. It's a spectacle. You don't have to get it but you should understand that it doesn't bother everyone as much as it does us.

Watch enough soccer and you become numb to it. Like every time there's a dunk in basketball, someone has to flex in the camera or kangaroo strut up court. TD celebrations. Baseball nut scratches. None necessary. All annoying. All still happen. Fans of those sports get annoyed when it's raised back into their consciousness but overall forget about it while watching. In baseball, a hitter would have to reach into his pants and whip his dong out before anyone would think twice about how odd it is that guys are walking around grabbing their sack every 30 seconds.

Edited by John Adams

Not many American, English, or German fans would disagree. But it's a world sport and some people enjoy the show. Ever been dancing at a Hispanic dance club? No khakis and polos amigo. It's a spectacle. You don't have to get it but you should understand that it doesn't bother everyone as much as it does us.

Watch enough soccer and you become numb to it. Like every time there's a dunk in basketball, someone has to flex in the camera or kangaroo strut up court. TD celebrations. Baseball nut scratches. None necessary. All annoying. All still happen. Fans of those sports get annoyed when it's raised back into their consciousness but overall forget about it while watching. In baseball, a hitter would have to reach into his pants and whip his dong out before anyone would think twice about how odd it is that guys are walking around grabbing their sack every 30 seconds.

Haha and thanks for the response. Personally, I hate all that crap in other sports. But there are penalties for taunting in football and celebrations. As a result, you don't see it as much.

I think a lot of guys flop to draw penalties right? Well if they got penaltied themselves, you'd see a lot more of them trying to play through it IMO. But what do I know?

So... can anyone explain why they have ties in the World Cup? It's pretty much the lamest thing ever.

Same reason they have them (or had them) in the NFL, NHL, college football, Olympic hockey (I seem to recall a pretty legendary tie with Sweden).

I'll take a tie over some stupid-ass 'shoot-out' any day of the week.

question about the offsides rule....does it only apply to players directly or potentially directly involved in the play? the goal that put us up 2-1, one of our players was coming inbounds from the right of the goal end line...no way he established himself as being onside...was it not called because he was so far out of the play??

http://digg.com/video/dempsey-world-cup-goal-portugal

Same reason they have them (or had them) in the NFL, NHL, college football, Olympic hockey (I seem to recall a pretty legendary tie with Sweden).

I'll take a tie over some stupid-ass 'shoot-out' any day of the week.

Using the NHL is a poor example, if you're comparing it to the World Cup. The NHL playoffs don't have shootouts.

Ties are probably "allowed" in soccer because many games would simply go on for too long otherwise; the players would collapse from exhaustion. Even the "extra time" they now have at the World Cup is just two 15-minute periods, right?

Using the NHL is a poor example, if you're comparing it to the World Cup. The NHL playoffs don't have shootouts.

Ties are probably "allowed" in soccer because many games would simply go on for too long otherwise; the players would collapse from exhaustion. Even the "extra time" they now have at the World Cup is just two 15-minute periods, right?

No, I was referring to the old days when NHL regular season games ended in ties. I hate the new NHL shoot-out rules and wish they'd go back to either straight ties or call it after the OT period. Ditto for college football 'overtime'

Understand soccer is a different game and there is only so long you can keep guys who don't sub out on the field.

question about the offsides rule....does it only apply to players directly or potentially directly involved in the play? the goal that put us up 2-1, one of our players was coming inbounds from the right of the goal end line...no way he established himself as being onside...was it not called because he was so far out of the play??

http://digg.com/vide...p-goal-portugal

http://www.understandingsoccer.com/rule-11-the-offside.html

If a player is in an offside position, but not involved in the play, it is not an offside.

Whenever there are these threads, there is always someone who jumps in to say how horrible soccer is etc. Why they jump in, who knows.

In any event, there are not many things I would rather have been doing than watching that game yesterday - and there certainly was not anything that was actually happening during the game that I rather would have been doing/watching.

Notwithstanding the ending, it was a great day for the USMNT.

http://digg.com/vide...p-goal-portugal

They have to be directly involved with the play.. You can have a guy that is in an off sides position, but if the ball goes to another intended player and he is on sides, then there is no infraction.

No, I was referring to the old days when NHL regular season games ended in ties. I hate the new NHL shoot-out rules and wish they'd go back to either straight ties or call it after the OT period. Ditto for college football 'overtime'

Understand soccer is a different game and there is only so long you can keep guys who don't sub out on the field.

3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie and no OT was my solution but hey, what do i know?

3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie and no OT was my solution but hey, what do i know?

I agree. I like how the "lost point" for soccer draws creates the incentive to play to win. The current NHL OT does the opposite. It creates an "extra point" that doesn't really seem right to me.

Haha and thanks for the response. Personally, I hate all that crap in other sports. But there are penalties for taunting in football and celebrations. As a result, you don't see it as much.

I think a lot of guys flop to draw penalties right? Well if they got penaltied themselves, you'd see a lot more of them trying to play through it IMO. But what do I know?

Ever see a WR pull a fake flag from his hip? A corner jump around like he won the lottery after a routine pass breakup? A D lineman pose or sumo stomp? And on and on. That crap doesn't get penalized.

Soccer leagues don't have shootouts. Only the tournaments, for the sake of exhaustion.