Should the Bills Cut Dareus? - Jerry Sullivan Article

Sullivan Article   

315 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Bills should cut ties with Dareus?

• Yes
    • No

I can say this is one of the few times I can actually agree with Jerry Sullivan in saying Dareus has overstayed his welcome. For me, yes he is a former 1st rounder, a former probowler (by default) but he is not reliable and is spotty in both his play on the field and his acts off the field. Wanted a fan opinion poll as to should he stay or should he go?

This is the same "salty old man" ridiculous thinking that ran Lynch out of town. Get some perspective, dismount from your high horse and remove the white knight cape. The guy likes to drive fast and is one of a majority of players in the NFL who smoke weed. Kindly stow your better than thou attitude.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read the ESPN Article on Dareus stating the Bills should keep him. I agree, but then reading again his childhood and the number of people who died close to him throughout his childhood, I just felt bad for the guy.

When I was 21-22, I and my friends did some knucklehead things. At least he was smart enough to smoke the synthetic marijuana as you won't catch it on their drug tests. Marrone and Whaley just need to sit him down (I'm sure they did) and remind him what he's capable of doing, and if he produces on and off the field, he will be up for his first major contract in two years. Pro Bowl DT make the real money in the second contract.

This can be resolved and he'll probably get a 4 game suspension and have to enter the drug program, where he can be tested up to 10 times a month.

This is the same "salty old man" ridiculous thinking that ran Lynch out of town. Get some perspective, dismount from your high horse and remove the white knight cape. The guy likes to drive fast and is one of a majority of players in the NFL who smoke weed. Kindly stow your better than thou attitude.

tell ya what....i don't want him cut either, if only because there is no way they can replace him with anyone better at this point.

BUT...that idiotic son of a B word could have killed any one of us walking out of that restaurant at the wrong time. and that's pretty hard to look past. he get as high as he wants, and that's no surprise anyway...but he's WAY over the line driving around like a maniac on the streets where people (who mostly adore him) live and work. get your **** together dareus...just because you've had tragedy in your life doesn't give you the right to put other people's lives in danger.

Is there any way we can cut Sully from Buffalo news instead of cutting Dareus?

Absolutely. Every Bills fan subscriber call up and cancel their subscription stating their reason is they refuse to read a paper that has Sully working for it.

Are these other fast driving, weed smoking players also habitually late for work, sometimes absent, and otherwise slow to understand their responsibilities in all the various schemes because of that?

GO BILLS!!!

Are these other fast driving, weed smoking players also habitually late for work, sometimes absent, and otherwise slow to understand their responsibilities in all the various schemes because of that?

GO BILLS!!!

I did not realize this was the case... if so, not good that he is missing OTAs with the new scheme

I did not realize this was the case... if so, not good that he is missing OTAs with the new scheme

Don't get me wrong. Nobody is suggesting that Dareus is slow to learn, only that he doesn't always make learning his first priority and they have to cover old ground in meetings and practices he's late for. It has worn a bit thin.

GO BILLS!!!

Don't get me wrong. Nobody is suggesting that Dareus is slow to learn, only that he doesn't always make learning his first priority and they have to cover old ground in meetings and practices he's late for. It has worn a bit thin.

GO BILLS!!!

You know this how coach?

You know this how coach?

While k9 has a bit of reliable insight - we can confirm his lateness has been bad enough to get benched. When he's missing conversations, you have to catch him up when he does arrive. That's not going very far out on any limbs.

While k9 has a bit of reliable insight - we can confirm his lateness has been bad enough to get benched. When he's missing conversations, you have to catch him up when he does arrive. That's not going very far out on any limbs.

I doubt we can jump to that conclusion. He could have been five minutes late. We have no idea what the meetings were about. Chances are greater than not that a teammate could catch him up on what he missed in five minutes. It's possible, of course, that he was an hour late and missed a lot of important info. But very doubtful, if you're a DT.

For the late part, I agree with sitting him. Marrone needs to teach him these meetings are important. When I have conference calls with my reps, i expect them to be on time. If repetitive, I would have a respectful conversation. If continued to reoccur, I would take disciplinary action, although light.

It's the cost of being a professional. That doesn;t mean trade him.

I doubt we can jump to that conclusion. He could have been five minutes late. We have no idea what the meetings were about. Chances are greater than not that a teammate could catch him up on what he missed in five minutes. It's possible, of course, that he was an hour late and missed a lot of important info. But very doubtful, if you're a DT.

I'm guessing it wasn't 5 minutes late once that got him sat down. Whoever it is that's catching him up would probably rather he were simply on time. Basically, no matter what there's likely atleast grains of fact to k9s assertion even without me having a source on it, like I assume he's basing the statement on.

I'm guessing it wasn't 5 minutes late once that got him sat down. Whoever it is that's catching him up would probably rather he were simply on time. Basically, no matter what there's likely atleast grains of fact to k9s assertion even without me having a source on it, like I assume he's basing the statement on.

My point is really that it's not an excuse in any possible way, but DT is by far the easiest position on the entire team as far as learning the playbook or knowing your responsibilities not counting kickers and long snappers. I very much doubt the team lost any time having to explain to him whatever he missed in the one minute or one hour that he missed.

The second time he got benched it was the very next day after he had been benched the first time. That made me believe he was only a few minutes late, and Marrone was just emphasizing that being on time means being on time. Otherwise, I'd have to think Marrone would have made a much bigger deal out of it.

I liked the article from Kyle Williams today about Marcel. He spoke on how he talked to him now twice about making good decisions. That is leadership from men on the defense like Kyle. My hope is not reported, but Kyle going to Jerry Hughes and telling him, it is your responsibility as a leader when Marcel wants to participate in a drag race to say "no".

I know Dareus is responsible for himself, but when you were young, doesn't a big brother, friend etc. you looked up to, to guide a young man to make good choices. Making good choices is like working out, it's muscle memory. Once you start on the right path, you'll continue on that path.

I don't want to lose this guy.

I liked the article from Kyle Williams today about Marcel. He spoke on how he talked to him now twice about making good decisions. That is leadership from men on the defense like Kyle. My hope is not reported, but Kyle going to Jerry Hughes and telling him, it is your responsibility as a leader when Marcel wants to participate in a drag race to say "no".

I know Dareus is responsible for himself, but when you were young, doesn't a big brother, friend etc. you looked up to, to guide a young man to make good choices. Making good choices is like working out, it's muscle memory. Once you start on the right path, you'll continue on that path.

I don't want to lose this guy.

Very true. My Dad died when I was 25. It still affects me. I cannot imagine being in Marcell's position. I have not given up on the kid. I am glad that his teammates an d the team have not.

Notwithstanding the fact that Marcell has a lot of money and plays in the NFL, Jerry Sullivan might want to think about how lucky he and his kid have it. I wonder if Jerry would "cut" his kid if he got caught with pot or drove fast.

Edited by Peter

GO BILLS!!!

My understanding is he would spend may more time with his DL coach than anyone. DC would be next, and the players actually spend little time with the HC especially during the season. Not sure if that is indeed the case with the Bills, but I heard Schwartz say in an interview this week that everyone is starting with a clean slate. Perhaps his act wore thin last year but with Pepper and JS on board instead of Weaver and Pettine, he has a chance to start over in minicamp. I hope anyway. Though we haven't seen it play out yet in the offseason, I still think Pepper will be a great influence on him as his specialty is projects. Edited by YoloinOhio

Great player? He finally started stepping his play up last year, he wasn't anywhere near Great before that. And with the increase in play came constant troubles. Have a heart? ITS FOOTBALL! If he has issues then get his ass to rehab or whatever the !@#$ it takes and he can step up or GTFO!

Christ this isnt' daycare. GROW UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

didnt he have the least sacks among buffalo starting linemen last year?