Favorite all time movie?

"L.A. Confidential", did get a Best Picture nomination. It lost to "Titanic". :thumbdown:

And "Goodfellas" lost to "Dances With White Guilt."

I don't want to say the Oscars are a joke...but one occasionally wonders if Best Picture isn't one.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And "Goodfellas" lost to "Dances With White Guilt."

I don't want to say the Oscars are a joke...but one occasionally wonders if Best Picture isn't one.

"Shakespeare In Love" over "Saving Private Ryan" & "Life is Beautiful"

"A Beautiful Mind" over "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring"

"Annie Hall" over "Star Wars"

"Argo" over "Lincoln"

"The King's Speech" over "Toy Story 3"

No you are on to something.

"Shakespeare In Love" over "Saving Private Ryan" & "Life is Beautiful"

"A Beautiful Mind" over "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring"

"Annie Hall" over "Star Wars"

"Argo" over "Lincoln"

"The King's Speech" over "Toy Story 3"

No you are on to something.

Well, it's a good thing Star Wars didn't get the Oscar. They'd have to take it away, now that Greedo shoots first.

I still haven't narrowed it down to any particular movies. Everyone liking Shawshank Redemption that much is amazing. I guess I've seen it too many times. And Schindlers list being on your favorites list is interesting. Such a sad movie being enjoyed...I guess if you like it for its artsy movie story telling stuff, sure. But, otherwise, just give me something stupid.

Favorite actor - Jimmy Stewart - so anything of his. Mr Smith Goes To Washington, Its a Wonderful Life and Shop Around the Corner.All terrific.

Recent Comedy - Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

I also liked the original Wuthering Heights.

The original Alfie was great.

Frozen and How To Train Your Dragon - awwwesssssssssssssome

Django Unchained is good, like 10 levels above anything Tarrantinoidon'tcaretospellitright ever did.

How about Rad? or Maximum Overdrive?

War Games or Suburban Commando

Honeymoon in Vegas?

No one mentioned Spaceballs?

No Monty Python mentions?

or Angus?

"Why don't you call me sometime when you have no class?"

Back To School.

took to the 2nd page to finally find one I'd agree with being on the favorites list.

The George Lucus classic, Howard the Duck!

A great one but it scared me as a kid.

I have three movies in my "Top 5 movies" list.

In no particular order....

Stand by Me

Pulp Fiction

The Court Jester

On a side note, many of the movies listed above are in my "Top 100 movies" list. :thumbsup:

This and the Outsiders are two great boys movies for the 80's.

Two more classics...

Children Of Men

Joe Dirt

How so few people enjoy Joe Dirt is beyond me.

Pee Wees Big Adventure

The Jerk

The Blues Brothers

Love it.

Brewster"s Millions

Trading Places

It's tough to beat Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy in their prime.

And you never thought about seeing her bizoongas and then you do and then you only ever think about her bazoongas. Maybe the breast appearance ever of bests.

And to end all debate...The absolute greatest movie of all time...ROADHOUSE!

Some of the best lines ever. "Pain don't hurt"

http://www.imdb.com/...t0098206/quotes

best line from the movie:

"I !@#$ed guys tougher then you in prison."

I use it on a daily basis when talking ****. I talk a lot of ****.

American Beauty is another one of my favorites. Spacey and Bening were outstanding in it.

I've never seen American Beauty. Perhaps this will spark me to watch it.

Die Hard

Indeed. The one with the firesale and DC and the hackers was better then the others in between, too.

Picking one is impossible for me. There are so many movies I will watch any time they are on.

- almost anything with Errol Flynn--no one can top his "Robin Hood"

- Lawrence of Arabia

- the quiet man

- Casablanca

- beau geste, and everything else Gary cooper is in.

- Lebowski

- treasure of the Sierra madre

- alien/s (Prometheus is a pretty good follow on)

- Hannah and her sisters

- Cinderella man (my sleeper pick)

- around the world in 80 days

- this former cook liked Babette's feast

Sorry, just can't stop. Love old movies.

I wonder why being a fan of a football team that hasn't made the playoffs in over a decade makes so many of us love The Shawshank Redemption? Do we identify with the injustice of being falsely imprisoned, and appreciate the way patience in using the rock hammer for many years was eventually rewarded?

It's a close second to "The Ref."

Dennis Leary was awesome in that

I also loved "The Stand" by Stephen King and "Misery"

Primal Fear and Murder in the first were both amazing movies as well

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

I hate the summer blockbuster season. Jaws was the first and I would think Star Wars was the 2nd two years later.

But, I hate all this apocalypse crap we get now.

I'm glad I don't see any of that crap listed here as favorite movies.

There are still some great things that come from the summer blockbuster season. Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy for one.

Unless of course you are just talking about all the apocalypse stuff, in which case I would agree.

No, for me, I also include all the superhero stuff. I really can't stand that genre, either............For me, movies have to be about real people during real times. Things you see that come out during Oscar season - Nov. and Dec. (somehow, Saving Private Ryan I think did come out in the early summer, though)

No, for me, I also include all the superhero stuff. I really can't stand that genre, either............For me, movies have to be about real people during real times. Things you see that come out during Oscar season - Nov. and Dec. (somehow, Saving Private Ryan I think did come out in the early summer, though)

In that case you are cutting off a great portion of the movie industry.

The superhero stuff has some very good offerings. "Captain America: The Winter Soldier", while not a summer film, was outstanding.

Summer has also given us some great animated movies recently as well: "Wall-E", "Up", "Toy Story 3", & "Despicable Me". You can also go back a little further with "The Lion King", "Aladdin", & "Tarzan".

I agree that movies about "real people" are good and important, but the same can be said for the fantastical movies. They are a big part of entertainment. Some people need to escape reality and see these types of movies.

Imagination has always been a key element in movie making.

I understand if it's not your thing. I don't see every movie that comes out, because there are some things I choose to avoid. Nevertheless, I do enjoy all types of films. From the mega blockbusters, to the tiny independents.

Lots of great movies listed here in this thread that are high on my lists too.

American History X

Godfather 1&2 (it's 2 by a nose for me)

Shawshank

Se7en

LA Confidential

American Beauty

Goodfellas

and more I'm sure I'm forgetting after 7 pages....

It is impossible for me to pick 1 overall or even 1 per genre but just to add to the mix on here for unmentioned greats I would throw The Prestige and Gattaca into the ring.

Even with the Batman movies being as good as they are I still think Prestige is Nolan's best work to date and Gattaca is a fantastic sci-fi film with good social commentary that doesn't get talked about much.

Speaking of sci-fi I also have to throw Forbidden Planet out there as an amazing classic movie that was WAY ahead of its time.

Edited by Metal Man

I don't have a "Favorite Movie" of all time. I love far too many.

Same here. I have a lot of favorite movies, and by 'favorite,' I mean movies I can watch whenever they're on. And they're all over the map.

Three Amigos.

Die Hard.

Shawshank Redemption.

West Side Story.

The Jerk.

Young Frankenstein.

Big Night.

Always.

Toy Story 3.

The list goes on.

Same here. I have a lot of favorite movies, and by 'favorite,' I mean movies I can watch whenever they're on. And they're all over the map.

Three Amigos.

Die Hard.

Shawshank Redemption.

West Side Story.

The Jerk.

Young Frankenstein.

Big Night.

Always.

Toy Story 3.

The list goes on.

Some solid ones on your list.

I remember watching Big Night in the theater. People were audibly groaning in mouth-watering hunger over those food scenes.