For those worried that size matters, Doug Whaley has you covered

http://espn.go.com/b...ize-up-on-field

With rosters nearly complete after the draft, the Bills have emerged with the NFL's premier size at both receiver and offensive line.

I knew our Oline was shaping up to be at the top of the size chart, but did not realize that about the WRs. Looks like Doug has been quietly sifting for a freakish diamond in the rough.

Edited by DrDareustein

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of those big WRs will not make the team

Yes, the article points that out. Point is, we have a big group to work with. Let's see if someone can take advantage of the opportunity.

edit: check this article for the humble breakdown. Pretty good read.

Edited by DrDareustein

The stature of the wide receiving group pales in comparison to the size of Chris Hogan's heart.

You're a poster I like but this crusade against Hogan is getting super old. I realize that Rogers had a whooping 4 more catches and 100 more yards than Hogan but settle down. What if there was a small % that Hogan was the next Welker? Obviously, it's tiny but he has had more catches in his first 2 years than Welker.

Honestly, hogan is probably out of the league this year. But at least he can look back at his life and said he made the most of his talent. He made the freaking NFL with very little physical talent. I wonder if a guy like Rogers, with all the talent in the world, will be able to say he maximized his ability? Because right now, he's pissing away it. And people who enable him by excusing his work ethic and off the field stuff aren't helping.

You're a poster I like but this crusade against Hogan is getting super old. I realize that Rogers had a whooping 4 more catches and 100 more yards than Hogan but settle down. What if there was a small % that Hogan was the next Welker? Obviously, it's tiny but he has had more catches in his first 2 years than Welker.

Honestly, hogan is probably out of the league this year. But at least he can look back at his life and said he made the most of his talent. He made the freaking NFL with very little physical talent. I wonder if a guy like Rogers, with all the talent in the world, will be able to say he maximized his ability? Because right now, he's pissing away it. And people who enable him by excusing his work ethic and off the field stuff aren't helping.

Ha ha, the next Welker?!? Welker was a very good college player at Texas Tech. Hogan was a role player at Monmouth!! The guy stinks at football. He never deserved a chance to play in the NFL and he made the least of his opportunity. He will be back out of the NFL this year. I don't care if a guy tries hard this isn't little league. I would never waste a roster spot on Rudy either.

I never once said that Rogers would be even a good player. I said that he had the physical skills that could translate to a solid NFL player. He showed flashes late in the year with 1 big game and a momentum turning play in a playoff game. He may never be more than a rotational player but he is an NFL player nonetheless.

It appears that this offseason the Bills have put a premium on adding talent. They are taking chances on guys like Seantrel Henderson which is a great decision IMO. He has a chance to be a starting LT in this league. It may not be here but he may be valuable. Would you rather have that or Thomas Welch? By all accounts he is a nice guy but he has no chance of ever helping your team win. If there is a guy on the 90 man roster that will never help you win I don't know why you bother to bring them to camp?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

The stature of the wide receiving group pales in comparison to the size of Chris Hogan's heart.

HA! Nice.

This whole philosophy may fall flat, but at least Whaley has a vision and is working to implement it. I'd much rather our front office do that then meander around without a plan. That's been part of the problem over the last 15 years.

Ha ha, the next Welker?!? welker was a very good college player at Texas Tech. Hogan was a role player at Monmouth!! The guy stinks at football. He never deserved a chance to play in the NFL and he made the least of his opportunity. He will be back out of the NFL this year. I don't care if a guy tries hard this isn't little league. I would never waste a roster spot on Rudy either.

I never once said that Rogers would be even a good player. I said that he had the physics skills that could translate to a solid NFL player. He showed flashes late in the year with 1 big game and a momentum turning play in a playoff game. He may never be more than a rotational player but he is an NFL player nonetheless.

It appears that this offseason the Bills have put a premium on adding talent. They are taking chances on guys like Seantrel Henderson which is a great decision IMO. He has a chance to be a starting LT in this league. It may not be here but he may be valuable. Would you rather have that or Thomas Welch? By all accounts he is a nice guy but he has no chance of ever helping your team win. If there is a guy on the 90 man roster that will never help you win I don't know why you bother to bring them to camp?

If Henderson is lazy or gets in trouble, he will be cut. And no one should defend him. My point is that these guys have had people makes excuses for their behavior and work ethic all their life. If more people would have held them accountable, perhaps they would have been higher draft picks.

IMO, football is unique from most of the other sports. Less physically talented guys who work hard can achieve a lot. Rogers has been cut from 2 NFL teams and one college already. Maybe folks should stop making excuses for him. Maybe instead of putting down guys like Hogan, maybe we should hold other players to a higher standard. JMO.

If player A and player B have the same skill set....it is better to go with the bigger man and athlete.

What if that player has off the field issues and doesn't work hard? Rae Carruth and Steve Smith for example.

Made me literally "snort" at my desk...and this board rarely accomplishes that.

If Henderson is lazy or gets in trouble, he will be cut. And no one should defend him. My point is that these guys have had people makes excuses for their behavior and work ethic all their life. If more people would have held them accountable, perhaps they would have been higher draft picks.

IMO, football is unique from most of the other sports. Less physically talented guys who work hard can achieve a lot. Rogers has been cut from 2 NFL teams and one college already. Maybe folks should stop making excuses for him. Maybe instead of putting down guys like Hogan, maybe we should hold other players to a higher standard. JMO.

Hogan had 12 career receptions at Monmouth!! Think about that, what is that guy doing on your roster? They cut a guy that once led the SEC in receiving and kept a guy that had 12 career receptions at Monmouth at the same position. I don't blame Hogan as much for being bad at football I blame the people that bothered wasting a roster spot on him.

This isn't about developing good young men. The Bills aren't a reform school. It is about winning football games period. If a guy is never going to help you win a game there is no reason to have him.

They cut a guy that once led the SEC in receiving and kept a guy that had 12 career receptions at Monmouth at the same position.

Neither of which matters when it comes to what they are doing presently. That info only mattered when they were coming into the league. For what it's worth, at the time when that information did matter, all 32 NFL teams felt the same way about both players since they both went undrafted.

If a guy is never going to help you win a game there is no reason to have him.

This statement applies to everyone in the NFL.