Buffalo's new stadium - will Super Bowl be played in it?

No... I can't even begin to imagine the whining by the media about having to go to Bflo for the SB, they are already pouting about Minneapolis. Minneapolis as well as Indy have a setup where you barely have to go outside downtown, everything is connected and right there. I agree that it isn't totally out of the question just because it is a smaller market (Jax got one) or booming economy (Detroit got one) but I just can't see it happening.

Let me ask you all a question. Is it worth it to have a shitload of empty, out of business, shuttered hotels and restaurants once the SB has packed up and left town? I say stick it up your ass NFL.

Edited by Chef Jim

I seem to recall Jacksonville had an issue w/ their total hotel rooms. Didn't they have to bring in cruise ships to accommodate people? While looking that up, I also noticed the NFL requires the host city to have 30,000 quality hotel rooms. I'm assuming that means the nearby communities as well. I don't even think Buffalo has a fraction of that amount (if you are counting quality). It's not going to happen.

I don't know off the top of my head know how many hotel rooms there are in Minneapolis Minnesota who's just received the Super Bowl. But if we have a comparable number of quality hotel rooms, I think we'd be in the running.

Edited by oman128

I seem to recall Jacksonville had an issue w/ their total hotel rooms. Didn't they have to bring in cruise ships to accommodate people?

That's what I recall too, that they used cruise ships to add rooms.

While looking that up, I also noticed the NFL requires the host city to have 30,000 quality hotel rooms. I'm assuming that means the nearby communities as well. I don't even think Buffalo has a fraction of that amount (if you are counting quality). It's not going to happen.

Does Motel 6 count as a quality hotel? ;)

There are only three things that I want to see: (1) New, stable ownership that keeps the team in Buffalo, (2) a new stadium for the fans of this team, and (3) a return to playoff caliber football. I could care less if Buffalo is ever considered for a Super Bowl. My guess is that, in the long run, a Super Bowl would end up costing the city money that could be better spent elsewhere - for the people who actually live and work there. Economics is not my area of expertise. So, I may be wrong in that respect - and always willing to listen to any sound arguments to the contrary.

No... I can't even begin to imagine the whining by the media about having to go to Bflo for the SB, they are already pouting about Minneapolis. Minneapolis as well as Indy have a setup where you barely have to go outside downtown, everything is connected and right there. I agree that it isn't totally out of the question just because it is a smaller market (Jax got one) or booming economy (Detroit got one) but I just can't see it happening.

Jacksonville brought in cruise ships to add extra hotel rooms. Don't think that would work in Buffalo. Even if they could get there the ice on the lakes in January would not allow it.

If it's a dome I think nfl would have to do it.

It would be a major struggle to have the needed hotel rooms, convention/event space, airport and transportation infrastructure. The Super Bowl takes a lot more than a stadium. Without seeing buffalos travel stats my gut says they'd be low on just about every bar needed to be cleared.

Minnesota, in addition to a stadium, has hotel rooms, indoor walkways, I believe a pretty solid set of event spaces for when Nike, espn, maxim, bid light and more want to have big parties the same night as the nfl honors award show, and I believe I heard they are one of a very short list of airports that claim direct flights to every nfl city even.

But they are cold, and so is buffalo, so it's kinda the same

Edited by NoSaint