Biggest 2014 Draft Busts?

Now that the smoke has cleared a bit, go on record and say who you feel the biggest offensive and defensive busts will be in the draft. Remember to take into account where they were selected and by which team.

Defense:

Anthony Barr - #9 Overall - Minnesota Vikings - I was shocked by this pick. Thought they'd go Donald or CB for sure. He reminds me a bit of Dion Jordan and he didn't show anything on the field in his rookie campaign. Top 10 for Anthony was a big stretch in my opinion.

Offense:

Brandin Cooks - #20 Overall - New Orleans Saints - Small, very small receiver. 5'10, 190 listed, but he looks smaller than that to me. I think he has a very difficult time getting off the press coverages and it's recognized early. CBs seem to be getting more and more leeway when it comes to playing physical and I don't think Cooks will translate at all. Sure, he may benefit from his QB play, but he will clearly be targeted after Colston and Graham and will still be sharing balls with Stills, Meachum, Thomas. By the time he's high up on that depth chart, Brees may be gone.

Manziel and Bortles look like they could be busts pretty easily. Also watch for Ebron. Kelvin Benjamin is either a homerun or bust too.

Dominique Easley has had problems staying healthy and carries way more injury risk than a guy like Kouiandijo, who the Bills have taken heat for taking later. Also, DeMarcus Lawrence may be a little overrated. He is probably just a situational pass rusher, which is a high pick at #34.

Barr will not be a bust. He won't be super productive early but give him a few years and he'll be a monster. A monster I tell you.

Bortles, Ebron, and Evans. Manziel will not be a good pro either but he'll have some initial success given his playmaking ability but he won't be able to sustain it. He might even be rookie of the year before he suffers a Vince Young like implosion on his career.

The only think preventing me from putting Clowney on the list is JJ Watt lined up on the same line as he is. I think Clowney would struggle mightily if teams doubled or chipped him but he won't see it as often as he would without a stud lined up near him. He'd be all world if he put in the work but I don't get the sense that he will.

Barr is Maybin 2.0 IMO, so to me that's a no brainer, especially given where he was Drafted....and I realize it was a late 1st, but Kelvin Benjamin doesn't seem to translate well to the NFL, despite his size...I think he will do well in the Red Zone to some degree, but gaining a great deal of separation in the NFL will be difficult for him, IMO...that doesn't mean that I don't think he will fall off the face of the earth, ala Maybin, but I don't think he will live up to the 1st round billing or even be close...I see him like a Brandon LaFell in terms of production

Manziel, Fuller. Think Mack will be slightly above average, worthy of a second or third round pick, not a top 5.

I agree on Mack. Solid player with decent career, but never elite like a top 5 LB should be.

Offense is easy--Robinson. How does a team with a crappy passing game (and a former #1 pick LT already on the roster) pass on Sammy Watkins to take this chubby future guard who seems to specialize in holding? You will hardly hear of him again. Bradford must have died a little with this pick, altjough everyone knew it was coming.

On defense--not necessarily a bust, but Mack won't live up to the hype, I think. He struggled to overcome MAC OC's adjusments (double teams, etc>). How's he going to get free in the NFL?

I don't like any of the 1st round OTs except Matthews. I can definitely see Robinson & Lewan being busts.

Bortles too. Jags fans must be thinking Gabbert all over again, though I doubt Bortles or any QB in this draft can be as bad as Gabbert.

Bortles with the Jags, think he will be ruined early due to David Carr syndrome unless he actually sits and learns until Jags build more and are ready for a rookie QB. Think the Jags were better off waiting on a QB or taking a project who won't have pressure to start like Derek Carr

Mosley-high expectations in Baltimore and how "safe" Tide players are makes me think he'll be sub-par. Film doesn't look 1st rd worthy to me.

Kelvin Benjamin- Doesn't use his size to his advantage, had weight issues and I believe there were some character concerns popping up doing pro-day/visits.

Jace Amaro-No in-line skills, just a tall average receiver who needs to learn his size. With the NYJ QB situation doubt he will grow

Demarcus Lawrence-Why is a situational pass rusher taken in the high second? Jerrah do your thing.

Johnny Manziel- Yeah don't think we need to hear another JM convo.

Now that the smoke has cleared a bit, go on record and say who you feel the biggest offensive and defensive busts will be in the draft. Remember to take into account where they were selected and by which team.

Defense:

Anthony Barr - #9 Overall - Minnesota Vikings - I was shocked by this pick. Thought they'd go Donald or CB for sure. He reminds me a bit of Dion Jordan and he didn't show anything on the field in his rookie campaign. Top 10 for Anthony was a big stretch in my opinion.

Offense:

Brandin Cooks - #20 Overall - New Orleans Saints - Small, very small receiver. 5'10, 190 listed, but he looks smaller than that to me. I think he has a very difficult time getting off the press coverages and it's recognized early. CBs seem to be getting more and more leeway when it comes to playing physical and I don't think Cooks will translate at all. Sure, he may benefit from his QB play, but he will clearly be targeted after Colston and Graham and will still be sharing balls with Stills, Meachum, Thomas. By the time he's high up on that depth chart, Brees may be gone.

Benjamin no doubt, bad hands, dumb, slow and Shazer Pittsburg, juiced and small (Aaron Maybin)

Barr will not be a bust. He won't be super productive early but give him a few years and he'll be a monster. A monster I tell you.

Bortles, Ebron, and Evans. Manziel will not be a good pro either but he'll have some initial success given his playmaking ability but he won't be able to sustain it. He might even be rookie of the year before he suffers a Vince Young like implosion on his career.

The only think preventing me from putting Clowney on the list is JJ Watt lined up on the same line as he is. I think Clowney would struggle mightily if teams doubled or chipped him but he won't see it as often as he would without a stud lined up near him. He'd be all world if he put in the work but I don't get the sense that he will.

agree with everything you said. Especially your I do on Barr. This guy is a monster IMO.

And I'm going to add Watkins on the list. Not that I dont want this kid to be successful. But the way people are hyping him up around here, you'd think this kid already won us a SuperBowl, cured Jim Kelly and single handedly kept the Bills in Buffalo.

Get a grip people. The kid hasn't even put on pads yet.

Edited by mrags

agree with everything you said. Especially your I do on Barr. This guy is a monster IMO.

And I'm going to add Watkins on the list. Not that I dont want this kid to be successful. But the way people are hyping him up around here, you'd think this kid already won us a SuperBowl, cured Jim Kelly and single handedly kept the Bills in Buffalo.

Get a grip people. The kid hasn't even put on pads yet.

Very fair point. Obviously I'm hoping for a multi-All-Pro career now that he's a Bill, but even before the draft I was very skeptical about him. I didn't really see much difference between his pre-draft hype, Justin Blackmon's, and Michael Crabtree's. (And CJ Spiller's, honestly -- I saw a lot of the same phrases in the threads for CJ & Sammy: #1 offensive player/weapon in the draft, elite talent, threat to score every play, etc.) Blackmon is looking like a bust, but probably more due to off-field issues than actual ability, once you factor in the horrible QB's he's had throwing to him. But he certainly hasn't made any of those QB's look like a stud, and hasn't really performed like an impact player aside from that one game. And that last part applies pretty well to Crabtree, too. Solid starter, not much more. If that's all Watkins turns into, then the trade to get him will certainly be a bust, because the Bills are counting on him being a top-tier WR.