No QB

mannc

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are putting lipstick on a pig. The Bills had a much improved roster last year but still finished 6-10 because we went into the season with a rookie starter and two UDFAs from weakling football programs as our backups. This was a historically deep draft. Players taken in the fifth round this year would have gone in the third round in other years. Knowledgable posters (and other experts) projected McCarron, Mettenberger, and Murphy as second or third rounders. They are all three better prospects than Tuel or Lewis, both of whom were turnover factories. It was a missed chance to upgrade the team in the long and short term. This team continues to close its eyes to the fact that its QB situation would be unacceptable to practically any other team in the NFL.

HAHAHAHAHA...your basing this on what posters on this board and all these absurd mock drafts graded those QBs to be drafted???? Now I've heard it all.

I'm sure the professional scouts and GMs that didn't feel the same will in the future now be sure to check this board to see what round they should draft players and cross check against mock drafts from journalists (and that's using journalists loosely).

This reply made my day lol

HAHAHAHAHA...your basing this on what posters on this board and all these absurd mock drafts graded those QBs to be drafted???? Now I've heard it all.

I'm sure the professional scouts and GMs that didn't feel the same will in the future now be sure to check this board to see what round they should draft players and cross check against mock drafts from journalists (and that's using journalists loosely).

This reply made my day lol

Well, we will see how wise it was for the Bills to do nothing to upgrade what was clearly an unacceptable QB situation last year. Teams with talent at the position far superior to Buffalo's chose to be proactive in this draft. Usually when OBD has gone against the grain it has blown up in their face. If that happens again this year, there will be a lot of happy Browns fans.

Your entire mocking post seems based on a position that seems almost laughable--that the Bills could not have upgraded their QB position in the fourth round or later of a historically deep draft.

Geno Smith arguably showed as much promise as EJ last year (flame away!) and yet the Jets brought in Vick and drafted Boyd.

Because the Jets have such an incredible recent stretch of handling who is going to be their apparently starter without creating any QB controversy.

Well, we will see how wise it was for the Bills to do nothing to upgrade what was clearly an unacceptable QB situation last year. Teams with talent at the position far superior to Buffalo's chose to be proactive in this draft. Usually when OBD has gone against the grain it has blown up in their face. If that happens again this year, there will be a lot of happy Browns fans.

Your entire mocking post seems based on a position that seems almost laughable--that the Bills could not have upgraded their QB position in the fourth round or later of a historically deep draft.

It sure as hell wasn't historically deep WRT the QB position.

Anyone else unhappy that Whaley did not see fit to take a late round flyer on a QB? There were lots available, including many that were expected to go sooner, such as Mettenberger, Murray, McCarron, and Boyd. I think this is a decision we will regret. Once again, OBD neglecting the most important position in sports.

no, there were one worth taking

We could have had an arm in Tom Savage in a later round. Crazy they did not take it.

EJ has not proven beyond doubt that he is the guy, and EJ can get injured at a moment's notice..

as can any player. Freddie was hurt last year, Spiller was hurt last year, Stevie was hurt last year........

First of all, nobody cares about your four guys college performance. You know why...because if they had tangibles that were going to clearly transition well to the NFL they would not be on the board and available late in the draft.

Second of all, the poster you replied to is 100% correct. The odds of one of those QB's being capable THIS YEAR to come in and perform better than Thad, Dixon or even Tuel (who I think loses his spot to Dixon, but who knows) are very slim. Last year our backup QB's were essentially rookies too...Well Tuel obviously was, but Thad had no real experience as a starter either even though he wasn't a rookie. However, they got very important experience, especially Thad who actually did ok...not great, but ok considering he didn't know the system well as he got here late and had no experience.

So lets look at the reality of last year:

1. Thad gets here late via trade, so he was behind learning the playbook.

2. Tuel was very raw and a project being an undrafted free agent rookie.

3. Every single skill position lost its starter and even some backups throughout the season to injury. So not only were our QB's inexperienced, they also had games in which key offensive players were out or playing hurt. I mean our top 4 WR's, TE, OL, both RB's and even all over our D we were losing people left and right.

To sit here and be upset that we didn't bring in ANOTHER rookie PROJECT QB who had so many question marks about bringing his game to the NFL that they slid to the mid rounds and late rounds is ridiculous in terms of this upcoming year. That QB would NOT be a better weekly starting option over our backups THIS year.

Does that mean that none of them could be good NFL starters...of course not, I mean Brady is a 6th round pick. However, the odds of one of them being able to contribute better than our existing guys this year is low. So why waste a pick on someone who isn't likely to be able to contribute this year? They want to win now! And there is NO reason to believe EJ is injury prone because of one season. He has NO prior injury history and any level of football.

FYI: I don't care what player you are, even the most durable player in the NFL...if you get in the knee like EJ did in Cle game or in preseason, odds are you are going to have a knee injury. The fact he wasn't lost for the season IMO was a miracle and I think that actually was a testament to him because he took a very nasty hit to the knee and survived and came back after a handful of games.

So, no I am not upset they didn't take a QB...I am not surprised they didn't take another project when we already have 2 projects as his backups. They believe in EJ, and so do I, so much I am on the RSVP list to buy his stock from Fantex and already funded my trading account.

PS: The only real option for another QB would have been a seasoned Vet, not another project rookie.

Grade = A: this is an articulate, well reasoned, and coherent response. :thumbsup:

Edited by CSBill

Once again, the point is not to draft someone to compete with EJ (not that there would be anything wrong with that). The point is that--again--there is no viable backup or developmental QB on the roster.

Once again, this is YOUR OPINION. Just because it's your opinion doesn't mean it is fact. Thad is a capable back up as he showed last year. Great draft by Whaley and OBD and you still found a way to complain.

Once again, this is YOUR OPINION. Just because it's your opinion doesn't mean it is fact. Thad is a capable back up as he showed last year. Great draft by Whaley and OBD and you still found a way to complain.

Get used to it, unfortunately

Grade = A: this is an articulate, well reasoned, and coherent response. :thumbsup:

It was a good response but it left one option out of the conversation - a veteran backup. They thought it necessary to trade a 4th round pick for a 3rd strung running back yet it wasn't important enough to bring in a guy to back up EJ? I'm not talking about brining in someone to challenge him, but a vet who could help EJ out in the film room, on the sidelines and come in and be a viable threat to help win a few games if EJ goes down. A veteran presence could help EJ a lot.

Geno Smith arguably showed as much promise as EJ last year (flame away!) and yet the Jets brought in Vick and drafted Boyd.

Geno had one more TD and 12 more INTs, that's not even close. Geno was benched for his horrible play repeatedly, was EJ? Let me answer that for you, NOPE. This post is an epic fail. Funny, I looked through the 6 pages in this thread very few people agree with you. If it was so obvious, you would think most people would agree with ya.

First of all, nobody cares about your four guys college performance. You know why...because if they had tangibles that were going to clearly transition well to the NFL they would not be on the board and available late in the draft.

Second of all, the poster you replied to is 100% correct. The odds of one of those QB's being capable THIS YEAR to come in and perform better than Thad, Dixon or even Tuel (who I think loses his spot to Dixon, but who knows) are very slim. Last year our backup QB's were essentially rookies too...Well Tuel obviously was, but Thad had no real experience as a starter either even though he wasn't a rookie. However, they got very important experience, especially Thad who actually did ok...not great, but ok considering he didn't know the system well as he got here late and had no experience.

So lets look at the reality of last year:

1. Thad gets here late via trade, so he was behind learning the playbook.

2. Tuel was very raw and a project being an undrafted free agent rookie.

3. Every single skill position lost its starter and even some backups throughout the season to injury. So not only were our QB's inexperienced, they also had games in which key offensive players were out or playing hurt. I mean our top 4 WR's, TE, OL, both RB's and even all over our D we were losing people left and right.

To sit here and be upset that we didn't bring in ANOTHER rookie PROJECT QB who had so many question marks about bringing his game to the NFL that they slid to the mid rounds and late rounds is ridiculous in terms of this upcoming year. That QB would NOT be a better weekly starting option over our backups THIS year.

Does that mean that none of them could be good NFL starters...of course not, I mean Brady is a 6th round pick. However, the odds of one of them being able to contribute better than our existing guys this year is low. So why waste a pick on someone who isn't likely to be able to contribute this year? They want to win now! And there is NO reason to believe EJ is injury prone because of one season. He has NO prior injury history and any level of football.

FYI: I don't care what player you are, even the most durable player in the NFL...if you get in the knee like EJ did in Cle game or in preseason, odds are you are going to have a knee injury. The fact he wasn't lost for the season IMO was a miracle and I think that actually was a testament to him because he took a very nasty hit to the knee and survived and came back after a handful of games.

So, no I am not upset they didn't take a QB...I am not surprised they didn't take another project when we already have 2 projects as his backups. They believe in EJ, and so do I, so much I am on the RSVP list to buy his stock from Fantex and already funded my trading account.

PS: The only real option for another QB would have been a seasoned Vet, not another project rookie.

Excellent post.

You are putting lipstick on a pig. The Bills had a much improved roster last year but still finished 6-10 because we went into the season with a rookie starter and two UDFAs from weakling football programs as our backups. This was a historically deep draft. Players taken in the fifth round this year would have gone in the third round in other years. Knowledgable posters (and other experts) projected McCarron, Mettenberger, and Murphy as second or third rounders. They are all three better prospects than Tuel or Lewis, both of whom were turnover factories. It was a missed chance to upgrade the team in the long and short term. This team continues to close its eyes to the fact that its QB situation would be unacceptable to practically any other team in the NFL.

The problem is, in your opinion (that's the key part), you think the Bills should of upgraded the backup QB position. Yes, you think it was horribly bad last year. Unfortunately for you, the Bills front office (the guys who get paid to make decisions like this) do not agree with your assessment and have been stating so for the better part of 4 months now. But yet you are still surprised when it doesn't happen?

as can any player. Freddie was hurt last year, Spiller was hurt last year, Stevie was hurt last year........

yes it can happen to any player. QB is the most important player. Should we not be prepped for an instance that can happen, to any player?

Because the Jets have such an incredible recent stretch of handling who is going to be their apparently starter without creating any QB controversy.

And the Bills recent history when it comes to the QB position?

And the Bills not so recent history when it comes to the QB position?

Poke all the fun you want at other organizations, but...our closet is full.