Win now???

Byrd wasn't even our best player on defense. Now I have a ton of respect for Byrd as a football player and his instincts (the strength of his game), are second to none. But I honestly feel he won't be missed at all. I know, that's heresy to some around here, but I really don't think our secondary will miss a beat.

And as much as we all loved SJ (with apologies to curitiba), the moment Watkins signs, he becomes our best receiver. Yeah, I know all about how rookie receivers "take time" but Watkins is cut from a different cloth.

GO BILLS!!!

Bingo....as usual you are right on point K-9

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bingo....as usual you are right on point K-9

Kirby, I have to give more props for the "What Does This Mean for Chris Hogan" thread. Seriously, every time I scroll through topics and see that, I crack up. Funniest thread title in the entire forum.

GO BILLS!!!

How can the Bills be a "win now" or "going for it" team when they let arguably their best player(Byrd) walk in FA and then traded their best WR(Johnson).

I am okay with the retooling, but make no mistake about it, their moves are not indicative of a win now team.

Letting Byrd go was a mistake and reeks of cheapness, Getting rid of Johnson for a 4/3rd is genius.

The FO may want to win now but it all depends upon EJ improving and how fast the defense learns another defense AGAIN and if we have the personnel to run it.

How can the Bills be a "win now" or "going for it" team when they let arguably their best player(Byrd) walk in FA and then traded their best WR(Johnson).

I am okay with the retooling, but make no mistake about it, their moves are not indicative of a win now team.

Posters still going on about this? Byrd wasn't our best player on D and we made him a fair offer. We were not going to cripple our cap for a Safety. If NO wants to be that stupid then let them.

Stevie was no more than Tied for #3 and most likely #4 on our roster NOT our #1 WR.

And it IS a win now team. Addition by addition and Subtraction. This staff got tired of Stevie half assing things, not lifting, having to improvise just to try and get open. Dropping easy balls etc. BTW Stevie won't be but #3 at best in SF.

Wow, can we drop this nonsense about how good stevie is? Do you know how many of his yards were garbage yards from Fitzy trying to play captain comeback every game? Or the fact that his groin is ALWAYS injured? He is a good route runner, and may be successful on the niners, but he needs a qb that can anticipate his unorthodox route running and that did not look like it was happening with manuel last year. When I see people put up that 3 straight season 1000 yards stat, IT DRIVES ME NUTS. You're basically giving the same depth of insight as someone on those pregame shows that watches the bills play twice a year at most. Refer to what you saw in the games, stats are a (sometimes misleading) byproduct of that

Edited by billsgpr88

BTW Stevie won't be but #3 at best in SF.

He's so terrible we got a 3rd/4th for him while receivers like Boldin and Desean Jackson snatched up a 7th or worse.

Watch SJ win a ring with SF, then you can chime in again. Keep kicking dirt on him, he's gonna make some plays and you will continue to be a hater of all.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

I don't know if Byrd was best the player on the defense last year, but I do know the defense started playing better after his return from injury.

Our o-line is a work in progress and is nowhere close to being one of the most dominant lines in the NFL. Our guard play was poor last year and we needed an upgrade at RT. We have some new pieces, and we will see if the combination of the signing of Willams and draft picks will lead to improvement this year.

I like the additions at LB. This unit should be better this year.

Keeping your "best" player just because he's your best player isn't the key to winning. It's the key to standing still.

If you had four cars in your driveway, and the best one was a used Toyota Corolla, would you still insist on keeping your "best" car? At some point you've gotta grow up, man up, make a bold investment and elevate your game, son.

Byrd didn't want to be here, when are ppl going to accept that and just let it go?

They drafted Watkins, traded for Mike Williams and have Woods and Goodwin going into their second year... They won't miss Stevie who in reality had only been good in Chans system

Keeping your "best" player just because he's your best player isn't the key to winning. It's the key to standing still.

If you had four cars in your driveway, and the best one was a used Toyota Corolla, would you still insist on keeping your "best" car? At some point you've gotta grow up, man up, make a bold investment and elevate your game, son.

Don't let good stand in the way of becoming great...

If you had four cars in your driveway, and the best one was a used Toyota Corolla, would you still insist on keeping your "best" car?

Good analogy.

I've always used 'tallest midget' for Stevie, but I like your's better...

He's so terrible we got a 3rd/4th for him while receivers like Boldin and Desean Jackson snatched up a 7th or worse.

Watch SJ win a ring with SF, then you can chime in again. Keep kicking dirt on him, he's gonna make some plays and you will continue to be a hater of all.

Rob Johnson has a ring.

Edited by The Wiz

I'd love to be convinced that I am wrong, but what you stated above is laughable. With Williams track record in Tampa, it wouldn't suprise me if he doesn't even make it out of training camp, let alone being a more productive WR than Johnson,and that is coming from someone that was never that big of a fan of Stevie.

I believe the Bills grew tired of Stevie's antics and decided they did not want him as a leader of a young football team. I further believe the Bills felt that the contract was too rich in regards to his production. They probably were disappointed in his untimely drops and fumbles which cost them wins (Steelers game that went into OT, last years opening game against NE, and the Atlanta game.) They wanted a true #1 in talent, dependability, and commitment to winning and pulled the trigger in getting Watkins and in turn saying goodbye to Stevie.

Combined opponents QB stats Without Jarius (5 games)....106-197 54% ,1307 yards, YPA 6.6, YPG 261, 9 INT, 9TD . QBR 70.8 , 2 wins 3 losses

Combined opponents QB stats With Jarius (11 Games)......204-364 56%, 1964 yards, YPA 5.4, YPG 178 14 INT,19TD. QBR 72.6% 4 wins 7 losses

I do not agree that Byrd made the defense significantly better

Did everyone see how our defense played without Byrd, and then with him?

I saw zero difference. Aaron Williams, learned quickly and significantly impacted several games. He was essentially a rookie at the position, still made lots of plays, managed 4 picks on the year (which is more than Byrd has averaged over the last 4 seasons).

The win now mentality doesn't mean overpaying your veterans. It means making decisions with a bias towards immediate results vs developing players to a peak that is one or two seasons down the road.

We took a bet that Sammy Watkins will help us win more games than whoever we would have picked at 9, and our next year's 1st rounder combined. I love the bet. I can live with the results either way (hey, I'm a Bills fan, I know all about pain....)

Does it really matter? If this coaching staff can't get this team to at least a winning season, then I see the entire org being retooled by the new owner.

The Bills basically traded away Stevie Johnson for Bryce Brown is one way to look at things, a starting WR for a now 3rd string backup RB. This whole thing could easily blow up in their face if Mike Williams sparks one up with Watkins.

Josh Gordon, Justin Blackmon say hello.

See, It doesn't matter what we fans say or think no matter how outrageous. What matters is a winning season, and possible playoffs. We will see come September.

I like your handle LabattBlue. But really? The Bills have just built perhaps the most dominant offensive line in the NFL and picked up one of the most dynamic receivers to come out of the college ranks over the last 5 years. And you don't think that is a win now mentality? Not sure what more you could ask for out of a draft.

As for "Oh, my groin hurts Johnson" and "The Bills can't pay me enough to stay here, Byrd", the Bills did what was best for the team.

Sit back, have another beer(if that isn't strong enough, try the Blue Royale....it's awsome!!) and wait to see how this plays out. I think you may be suffering from the withdrawal symptoms and it ain't from the beer.

Really? I like our draft, but the bolded is a serious stretch.

Edited by ny33