RD3, Pick #73: Preston Brown ILB, Louisville

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what to think about this pick. I feel like he would have been there in round 4 if they really wanted him. To those who are drawing Jamie Collins/Willis comparisons, I just don't see it. To me, he looks like a 2 down run stuffing ILB. I just don't see him being successful in coverage, he doesn't look like a sideline to sideline type player, and he certainly isn't a pass rusher. Best between the tackles. Seems kind of stiff and a little slow to react.

I remain optimistic, however, and he certainly adds much needed depth behind Spikes with his shaky knees. Go Bills!

what makes you think he would be there some 30 picks later in round 4?

Just my opinion bro. I'm not bashing the pick, but I am entitled to express my thoughts. Did you read my entire post? I guess that is my rationale if you need one.

I understand it's your opinion.I agree you are entitled to your opinion. I read a lot of these comments and wonder what many of them are based on. You obviously don't share the same viewpoint as the Bills do. They feel he can be a 3 down player according to Whaley, you don't. You think all the other teams would have passed on him one more time. I am just curious as to how you formed your opinion. I don't follow the draft like others do. I just wait to see who they pick and then wait to see them play. Then I judge the pick.

Seems like they have a plan and are looking at things a year or two away and planning for it(Spikes might not be here), and I have to say its pretty refreshing ti not just be looking at this year but to be doing things to set themselves up for the next year or two down the line with contingency plans

I understand it's your opinion.I agree you are entitled to your opinion. I read a lot of these comments and wonder what many of them are based on. You obviously don't share the same viewpoint as the Bills do. They feel he can be a 3 down player according to Whaley, you don't. You think all the other teams would have passed on him one more time. I am just curious as to how you formed your opinion. I don't follow the draft like others do. I just wait to see who they pick and then wait to see them play. Then I judge the pick.

I hear ya, and I agree with you for the most part. I'm not one to come on here trolling draft picks. I generally trust Whaley and Co. and will give them the benefit of the doubt until I see otherwise on the football field.

It's tough to not have a knee-jerk reaction with some of these picks though. I do follow college football and the draft process very closely, and I am familiar with Preston and what he has done at Louisville. Call it a little healthy skepticism? Trust me, as of right now Preston Brown is a Buffalo Bill and I am his biggest supporter.

Go Bills!

I'm fine with the pick as they are thinking two years down the road, but with that said, I really hope we pick the best G in this round. We'll have to live with the TEs we have as we now have a stable of very good WR who compliment each other. It looks like we're keeping Graham so we have two speedsters ( god I hope TJ starts catching the damn ball), an explosive #1 who reminds me of Percy Harvin although he's compared to AJ Green, a, good posession WR with Williams, and an excellent route runner with Woods.

I'm fine with the pick as they are thinking two years down the road, but with that said, I really hope we pick the best G in this round. We'll have to live with the TEs we have as we now have a stable of very good WR who compliment each other. It looks like we're keeping Graham so we have two speedsters ( god I hope TJ starts catching the damn ball), an explosive #1 who reminds me of Percy Harvin although he's compared to AJ Green, a, good posession WR with Williams, and an excellent route runner with Woods.

Agree with you about OG in this round. David Yankee would be my pick. Athletic enough to slide over to RT in a pinch.

Strengths: Physical, thick football player. Will play the middle. Aggression and explosive tackler. Above average footwork to play downhill. Above average sideline-to-sideline speed when pursuing to the football, flattens down the LOS and wraps with authority. Some ability as a pass rusher. Understands zone responsibilities in coverage, good coordination and speed when dropping in zones, he reads the movement and eyes of the passer well. Also plays LG on the punt coverage unit.

Weaknesses: Feet die on contact in the hole. Doesn’t have quick twitch reaction. Rounds off angles. Gets caught in the wash. Slightly delayed when shedding OG’s one on one. Hops into the line when blitzing/gets caught off balance. Too square when pass rushing & tends to retreat too quickly once his first move doesn't work when rushing.

Overall: Clearly better going forward than in reverse. Good pre snap timing. He plays faster than he times. Does a good job avoiding cut-blocking running backs on the move. Very heavy at the point of attack, and is good with taking on and shedding. Doesn’t adjust well to cover the possession type receivers in zone coverage, which lends to the 2-down ILB label. Basically, a Brandon Spikes Clone, but with coachable weaknesses and a higher ceiling.

Strengths: Physical, thick football player. Will play the middle. Aggression and explosive tackler. Above average footwork to play downhill. Above average sideline-to-sideline speed when pursuing to the football, flattens down the LOS and wraps with authority. Some ability as a pass rusher. Understands zone responsibilities in coverage, good coordination and speed when dropping in zones, he reads the movement and eyes of the passer well. Also plays LG on the punt coverage unit.

Weaknesses: Feet die on contact in the hole. Doesn’t have quick twitch reaction. Rounds off angles. Gets caught in the wash. Slightly delayed when shedding OG’s one on one. Hops into the line when blitzing/gets caught off balance. Too square when pass rushing & tends to retreat too quickly once his first move doesn't work when rushing.

Overall: Clearly better going forward than in reverse. Good pre snap timing. He plays faster than he times. Does a good job avoiding cut-blocking running backs on the move. Very heavy at the point of attack, and is good with taking on and shedding. Doesn’t adjust well to cover the possession type receivers in zone coverage, which lends to the 2-down ILB label. Basically, a Brandon Spikes Clone, but with coachable weaknesses and a higher ceiling.

Interesting to hear. From what I hear, he could play either SLB, where we currently have Rivers or MLB, where we have Spikes. He seems to fit the mold of run thumping SLB and MLBs that I'm guessing Schwartz wants.

Preston Brown is directly on point with what the BILLS are trying to accomplish: a big, physical team that can beat you at the point of attack by power. This pick has "STOP THE FREAKING RUN!!!" written all over it....yes, Spikes is signed and I loved that signing and still do, but it's just a one year contract...maybe he resigns, maybe he doesn't...this is thinking of the future while giving the kid a year to learn the Defense and develop his game, Coaching him up. Additionally, IF Spikes decides to stay long-term Brown can play the SLB, as noted earlier and by many others, meaning you now have a Brown-Spikes-Kiko pairing that could be a real force to be reckoned with, depending on how Brown develops...either way, the BILLS addressed a need of getting bigger and harder hitting at the LB position, something they needed to do, not just with Spikes but overall....good to very good pick. Well done DW.