RD3, Pick #73: Preston Brown ILB, Louisville

frustrated_kid.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1374765735102

no no no.

not if they're assigned to break gaps and penetrate. KW did well a few years ago filling space but it broke him down. and so it should, he's not that kind of DT. but we do have space eaters here and we may get some more. but it's not because they can't, it's because they don't.

I hold out great hope for Alan Branch. I don't want this to come out the wrong way because I think Mike Pettine did a great job with the players he had last year, but I really think Branch was a square peg in a round hole. I don't think he's meant to be a DE. I think Schwartz will use him better this year. Again this was probably out of necessity due to Carrington's injury. BTW I love the pictures!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That last game of the year against the Pats was a horror show for the run defense. Blount looked like he was playing against a high school team. While Blount's now in Pitt, the AFCE still added Johnson and Moreno, and the Pats are going more and more run heavy the older Brady gets.

With Spikes and now Brown, Whaley seems to be doing a good job coming up with answers for the poor running defense.

I agree. I think Whaley et al wake up sweating with images of Blount in their heads. I don't blame them. That was an appalling display; reminded me of the last Super Bowl against Dallas. Unfortunately, they may not be fretting about Gronk anymore and the new generation of tight ends and pass-catching running backs. Rivers, Spikes, this kid... pass coverage is not a strength with any of them (I really don't like Rivers--he and Chris Williams=other people's trash, imo). I realize it's tough to find every-down players, especially in the third round, but we might be talking about needing another Kiko this time next year. Until then (of course they're not done yet), at least the Bills will be more ready for the Blounts of the world.

That last game of the year against the Pats was a horror show for the run defense. Blount looked like he was playing against a high school team. While Blount's now in Pitt, the AFCE still added Johnson and Moreno, and the Pats are going more and more run heavy the older Brady gets.

With Spikes and now Brown, Whaley seems to be doing a good job coming up with answers for the poor running defense.

This is what I was thinking when I saw the selection. :thumbsup:

This

All you guys hoping for a TE seem to forget we have Tony Moeaki on the roster this year. Guy was looking like a potential Pro Bowler with KC before the injuries started. If he's fully healed and can stay healthy watch out....

All you guys hoping for a TE seem to forget we have Tony Moeaki on the roster this year. Guy was looking like a potential Pro Bowler with KC before the injuries started. If he's fully healed and can stay healthy watch out....

i was kinda hoping for a te in this draft, but i am happy with brown. i think he brings a lot more to the team than any of the tight ends that were left on the board at that time.

I wanted an ILB early - the equivalent of a Bowman/Willis type. I know this player probably isn't that (although I hope he is), but it's a position of real need. Kelvin Sheppard was supposed to be that guy, but he failed (as a lot of third rounders do). They replaced Sheppard finally with Spikes, but he's on a one year deal and as I understand it is one toke away from a season long suspension.

Edited by dave mcbride

i was kinda hoping for a te in this draft, but i am happy with brown. i think he brings a lot more to the team than any of the tight ends that were left on the board at that time.

The problem with Moeaki, injuries aside, is he's only signed through 2014, so if he regains his prior form he can walk next year

I don't know what to think about this pick. I feel like he would have been there in round 4 if they really wanted him. To those who are drawing Jamie Collins/Willis comparisons, I just don't see it. To me, he looks like a 2 down run stuffing ILB. I just don't see him being successful in coverage, he doesn't look like a sideline to sideline type player, and he certainly isn't a pass rusher. Best between the tackles. Seems kind of stiff and a little slow to react.

I remain optimistic, however, and he certainly adds much needed depth behind Spikes with his shaky knees. Go Bills!

Spikes is twice the man this kid is, don't like the pick unless we already plan to have Spikes for only 1 year.

Please prove your comment. How is Spikes twice the man this kid is?

The problem with Moeaki, injuries aside, is he's only signed through 2014, so if he regains his prior form he can walk next year

You mean the same Moeaki that was out at the workouts EJ put together? Seems to me he is progressing.