WR Stevie Johnson traded to San Francisco 49ers

From what I can tell, CB, Woods was more of the type of leader they want than Stevie, even as a rookie. Williams will probably not have that role, just because he has the most NFL experience. Despite Woods getting ejected from the Miami game, he was not your typical rookie WR last year. Many rookies step on the field as the #1 WR. I think Watkins is ready for the on the field pressure. I do not think they will push him to become the leader of the WR corp though, they will let that happen naturally.

howard@hsimon62 11m

spoke to someone who clarified dead money for Stevie Johnson. its $10.225 million. Bills can take it all this yr or defer some to 2015

Good points as always. But it is funny that some just ignore the Woods' ejection. That was extremely stupid. And Mike Williams is extremely stupid. Hopefully, they will have young guys who will step up.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points as always. But it is funny that some just ignore the Woods' ejection. That was extremely stupid. And Mike Williams is extremely stupid. Hopefully, they will have young guys who will step up.

I agree that a lot of people seem to have forgotten. I bring it up all the time, actually. It was very odd because did not seem to fit his reputation - however - I don't know if you follow Nolan Nawrocki's draft comments at all but his thing is to pick a few players every year that he thinks might have character concerns and point them out. I noticed that in 2013 Robert Woods was one of those and mentioned he had maturity issues. The punch was the only time I noticed that. Let's hope it stays that way because the kid was one of the more polished rookie WRs I have seen in awhile. Edited by YoloinOhio

I agree that a lot of people seem to have forgotten. I bring it up all the time, actually. It was very odd because did not seem to fit his reputation - however - I don't know if you follow Nolan Nawrocki's draft comments at all but his thing is to pick a few players every year that he thinks might have character concerns and point them out. I noticed that in 2013 Robert Woods was one of those and mentioned he had maturity issues. The punch was the only time I noticed that. Let's hope it stays that way because the kid was one of the more polished rookie WRs I have seen in awhile.

Agreed and props to you because you do bring it up. Personally, I have double standards. SJ gets killed for celebrations that happened 2 years ago. He never got kicked out of a game when we were already short handed at receiver. I also think Williams is not smart (hopefully he grows up).

IMO, he never hurts to have a veteran leader. SJ seem to grow up a lot last year. He played the day after his mother died. But they know the lockerroom better than me. If you are in Win now mood, I personally would keep SJ. But what's done is done and unlike some here, I'd rather be wrong and hope the Bills made the right decision.

Agreed and props to you because you do bring it up. Personally, I have double standards. SJ gets killed for celebrations that happened 2 years ago. He never got kicked out of a game when we were already short handed at receiver. I also think Williams is not smart (hopefully he grows up).

IMO, he never hurts to have a veteran leader. SJ seem to grow up a lot last year. He played the day after his mother died. But they know the lockerroom better than me. If you are in Win now mood, I personally would keep SJ. But what's done is done and unlike some here, I'd rather be wrong and hope the Bills made the right decision.

I think people brushed off the Woods ejection because we were killing the Fish and it ultimately didn't matter. People hang onto the Stevie stuff because it was more glaring/impactful in many cases. But the punch was no beuno. I do think it happens sometimes where the refs don't see it (it was at the bottom of the pile, I think, and I do think he was provoked) but no excuse for losing your composure. Sure he was a rookie mistake, but it was the 2nd to last game of the season so he really wasn't.

I agree that a lot of people seem to have forgotten. I bring it up all the time, actually. It was very odd because did not seem to fit his reputation - however - I don't know if you follow Nolan Nawrocki's draft comments at all but his thing is to pick a few players every year that he thinks might have character concerns and point them out. I noticed that in 2013 Robert Woods was one of those and mentioned he had maturity issues. The punch was the only time I noticed that. Let's hope it stays that way because the kid was one of the more polished rookie WRs I have seen in awhile.

He punched a Dolphin. I don't mind that.

I get what you're saying. But it was one wearing helmet in a game where we were short receivers. It was mind blowingly dumb.

I think in my mind, what Woods did was not acceptable in all aspects: gamemanship, maturity, and leaving your team short-handed unncessarily, but he WAS a Rookie and we've all done things in the heat of the moment we regret, especially when we were just 22 or 23 years old. God, if all of my mistakes were on display from that time in my life, I would be a pariah no matter where I went. Life, and hopefully gleaning maturity and insight from our mistakes, help us evolve and develop a better pattern of behavior. Which, is the stickler for me with SJ. I gave him a partial pass for the "Why So Serious" antics and less than a partial pass for the Plax shooting debacle he demonstrated, but it became more and more of an on-field issues with "The Drop" against Pitt and then fumble issue vs. Atlanta and of course, the critical drop against the Patsies, not that making a mistake or two is unforgiveable but the breaking point was the KC game for me. After Tuel legitimately missed him wide open in the end zone, he threw up his hands in disgust like an 8 year old in Pop Warner...for a Rookie, it's coachable and a teachable moment, for someone who has been in the league and received a hefty payday despite the aforementioned issues early in his career, I expect more. So, if Woods continues to have these issues in a couple years, I will then begin to lobby against him due to lack of team integrity on game day and what it means....we reveal our greatest attributes and our darkest deficiencies of character in moments of pressure...to me, SJ revealed his several times over. I don't hate him, and I wish him well in San Fran, but I am also glad the team has acquired good to great talent at the WR position so the two can amicably part ways....

I get what you're saying. But it was one wearing helmet in a game where we were short receivers. It was mind blowingly dumb.

He punched that Fin because Ike Hilliard had philosophical differences with Doug Marrone. Of course that has been fixed, so no more problems with the WRs can happen.

I haven't looked into the particulars, or this specific case, but I believe a June 1st designation can be if you are cut or traded. When you look it up, it often refers to the fact that if you are released or traded before June 1 the traded player is treated as if he were released, so I believe he can then be a June 1st designated player. I've read it in a few different places, but I am not positive about it. Does anyone know "for sure?"

Like this...

I think that trades and outright releases differ in that a released player can be designated as a June 1 cut, but a traded player cannot. I have never seen anything indicating that one could.

Other differences exist, too. For instance, a cut player still must be paid any guaranteed money remaining on his contract by the team that cut him. If that player is traded his new team is then responsible for any unpaid guaranteed money.

Edited by BarleyNY

I think in my mind, what Woods did was not acceptable in all aspects: gamemanship, maturity, and leaving your team short-handed unncessarily, but he WAS a Rookie and we've all done things in the heat of the moment we regret, especially when we were just 22 or 23 years old. God, if all of my mistakes were on display from that time in my life, I would be a pariah no matter where I went. Life, and hopefully gleaning maturity and insight from our mistakes, help us evolve and develop a better pattern of behavior. Which, is the stickler for me with SJ. I gave him a partial pass for the "Why So Serious" antics and less than a partial pass for the Plax shooting debacle he demonstrated, but it became more and more of an on-field issues with "The Drop" against Pitt and then fumble issue vs. Atlanta and of course, the critical drop against the Patsies, not that making a mistake or two is unforgiveable but the breaking point was the KC game for me. After Tuel legitimately missed him wide open in the end zone, he threw up his hands in disgust like an 8 year old in Pop Warner...for a Rookie, it's coachable and a teachable moment, for someone who has been in the league and received a hefty payday despite the aforementioned issues early in his career, I expect more. So, if Woods continues to have these issues in a couple years, I will then begin to lobby against him due to lack of team integrity on game day and what it means....we reveal our greatest attributes and our darkest deficiencies of character in moments of pressure...to me, SJ revealed his several times over. I don't hate him, and I wish him well in San Fran, but I am also glad the team has acquired good to great talent at the WR position so the two can amicably part ways....

At the risk of sounding too serious (Why so Serious?), a former manager of mine told me something that I feel has helped me at work and in life. He said, "when someone shows you who they are, believe them."

Maybe Woods has an excuse like MD has for getting a felonious arrest.

The Dolphin dude started the whole thing and deserved everything he got. Woods should have refrained but he does not need an excuse for punching a Dolphin.

I like that the team shows a little fire for a change and won't sit back and take crap like they have for so long. Other teams need to know that. You just can't go so far as to be easily baited like Talib.

I have read what Sullivan and others have said about Stevie. In Sullivan's article, he never really said anything specific, but made it sound like Stevie is a horrible human being. Others here seem to have the same view.

Maybe I am missing something. What exactly has Stevie done to wear out his welcome so thoroughly with the Bills, Buffalo media, and some fans?

I am asking this as an honest question. To me, Stevie just seemed like a character, and I had no problem having him on the team. Yeah, he dropped a couple of passes - BUT which receiver hasn't.

Again, I am just curious about what makes Stevie a guy you have to get rid of, but M. Williams (and others) a guy you trade for or draft?

Edited by Peter