WR Stevie Johnson traded to San Francisco 49ers

He was a seventh round draft pick and was not handed anything and not given anywhere near the rope high picks get. To say he's not a hard worker is not only false, but completely dismissive and foolish.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why people don't have anything but love for the guy. Classic underdog story. Loved the fun vacuum named buffalo and it's fans. He was nothing but positive his whole time here. Is it the tattoos? The fact he raps? It can't just be that he dropped that ball against the Steelers right? The one that would have got us to 4-12 instead of 3-13?

For me it was the dumb penalties. As a team leader, he had more than his share, on a team that had more than its share. The dropped balls didn't help.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can't just be that he dropped that ball against the Steelers right? The one that would have got us to 4-12 instead of 3-13?

We were 4-12 in 2010. The Pitt catch would have made us 5-11. For me it wasn't just the Pitt, it was the Pitt drop AND the Jets drop AND Bengals drop AND the game 1 Patsies drop this year AND the Falcons fumble this year. And all the other run of the mill drops. Then there were the unnecessary EZ celebrations resulting in penalties (which he did stop doing and I give him credit for that) for a mediocre team that can't afford that kind of stuff.

So, no, it wasn't just the Steelers drop.

SJ seemed like a nice kid who loved playing for Buffalo. Gotta love that. But really he epitomizes the same ole find new ways to lose Bills. Time to move on and build a winning culture for a change.

I liked Stevie. He was a 7th rounder who made the team and worked to be the best WR on the team. Maybe we asked too much of him and that he maxed out his talents. The drops were maddening, the flippant attitude at times, the refusal to take ownership for his mistakes and the end zone celebrations were selfish. Those things being said, he was a good guy, loved playing in Buffalo and wanted the team to win. I wish he stayed but it was time for him to move on. Warts and all, he was a darn good WR and wish him well.

He was a seventh round draft pick and was not handed anything and not given anywhere near the rope high picks get. To say he's not a hard worker is not only false, but completely dismissive and foolish.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why people don't have anything but love for the guy. Classic underdog story. Loved the fun vacuum named buffalo and it's fans. He was nothing but positive his whole time here. Is it the tattoos? The fact he raps? It can't just be that he dropped that ball against the Steelers right? The one that would have got us to 4-12 instead of 3-13?

This.

Buffalo is the classic underdog city. I always thought that we liked underdogs. Stevie was an underdog and he embraced Buffalo (unlike some others). For some reason, there are those that like to eat our own on this board.

I always thought Roscoe was one of those underdog stories, but, like CJ, there always seems to be someone posting that we should get rid of guys like that. CJ is a great teammate, has a great attitude, and unbelievably played on a high ankle sprain as a RB. One would think that guys here and in the media would praise someone like him.

Stevie seemed to genuinely enjoy playing for the Bills and in Buffalo. He was a character (and not in a malevolent way). He had some drops -- but so does every receiver. I also heard the other day that he has had more TD receptions in the past few years than Fitzgerald.

Stevie is gone -- for whatever reason the Bills had. (As an aside, Marrone also got rid of the WR coach as well - I wonder what that was all about). There really is no reason for anyone to trash Stevie. He had success and did so without a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning or anyone approaching that level of QB -- and also had success against one of the best DBs in the league who is now back in our division.

I wish Stevie well. I have a feeling that he is going to do well for San Fran.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Peter

Am I wrong for thinking that Stevie Johnson is the third-best receiver in team history (behind Reed and Moulds)?

I would put Lofton in front of him too, but yeah, he's up there.

He's no Ruvell Martin though.

I cant believe that some fans think that SJ was that good.

In my opinion, SJ was nothing more than a real #3 receiver. The past several years, he was the best of an awful group.

Bills receivers from 2010, 2011 and 2012 seasons, and where they are now. I left out the worst of the worst. Impressive list of wide receivers

SJ- 2013 Bills 597 Yards

TJ- 2013 Bills- 361 Yards

David Nelson- 2013 Jets 423 yards

Dorin Dickerson- 2013 Lions 34 Yards

Naaman Roosevelt- No Longer In NFL

Derek Hagan- No Longer In NFL

Roscoe Parrish- No Longer In NFL

Lee Evens- No Longer In NFL

Ruvell Martin- No Longer In NFL

Donald Jones- No Longer In NFL

Just for Fun. With the #41 pick in the 2008 NFL draft the Bills select James Hardy

Edited by OldNMBillsFan

In my opinion, SJ was nothing more than a real #3 receiver. The past several years, he was the best of an awful group.

Bills receivers from 2010, 2011 and 2012 seasons, and where they are now. I left out the worst of the worst. Impressive list of wide receivers

SJ- 2013 Bills 597 Yards

Naaman Roosevelt- No Longer In NFL

Just for Fun. With the #41 pick in the 2008 NFL draft the Bills select James Hardy

SJ 2013 - injuries and his mom died. Give the guy a freaking break.

It's funny how Johnson supporters (love that pun) pick one of many incidents, then treat it as if it were singular in order to build a strawman against those who were weary of Johnson's numerous mistakes.

Your usual typical response, surprise, surprise.

SJ- 2013 Bills 597 Yards

Naaman Roosevelt- No Longer In NFL not true.

As to the conclusion of your post, we get you think SJ sucks, watch how he does this year and get back to us, will you?

Am I wrong for thinking that Stevie Johnson is the third-best receiver in team history (behind Reed and Moulds)?

Yes. James Lofton, Bob Chandler, Jerry Butler, Frank Lewis, Elbert Dubenion, and (gasp) Lee Evans were better receivers.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/career-receiving.htm

Edited by eball

As to the conclusion of your post, we get you think SJ sucks, watch how he does this year and get back to us, will you?

Sure i will, and you? What is your expectation for him this year? Now that he has a QB, 1500 yards? After all, he did get 1000 yards 3 years in a row with terrible QB's. Considered by his fans to be the 3rd best receiver in Bills history. I think he does not get more than 600 yards.

Edited by OldNMBillsFan

Its interesting that a lot of posters are saying that Stevie now has a "real QB" and hence he should put up big numbers. I am not completely sold on Kaepernick . I think he will struggle and will not be able to carry SF if their running game sputters and the defense continues to have setbacks (e.g., Aldon Smith, Navarro Bowman)

Its interesting that a lot of posters are saying that Stevie now has a "real QB" and hence he should put up big numbers. I am not completely sold on Kaepernick . I think he will struggle and will not be able to carry SF if their running game sputters and the defense continues to have setbacks (e.g., Aldon Smith, Navarro Bowman)

If Kaep gets better at reading the field, he will become the best QB in the league. He has the strongest arm in the NFL, he is insanely fast and because of his size it's harder to bring him down and he's not as injury prone as RGIII. His only struggle, though it is a big one, is reading a full field and picking the right throw to make. If he would have scanned the field in the NFCCG and seen Boldin, the 49ers would be the ones who shellacked the Broncos.

He hasn't proven to be a top passer, but their O-line is still young and they are replenishing the backfield in preparation for Gore's retirement. I think he'll be fine either way.

If Kaep gets better at reading the field, he will become the best QB in the league. He has the strongest arm in the NFL, he is insanely fast and because of his size it's harder to bring him down and he's not as injury prone as RGIII. His only struggle, though it is a big one, is reading a full field and picking the right throw to make. If he would have scanned the field in the NFCCG and seen Boldin, the 49ers would be the ones who shellacked the Broncos.

He hasn't proven to be a top passer, but their O-line is still young and they are replenishing the backfield in preparation for Gore's retirement. I think he'll be fine either way.

This is a critical ability that separates Rodgers, Brady, Manning, and Brees from the rest of the pack. Kaepernick has not shown that ability and he is already going to be in his 4th season.