Gotta Love Doug Whaley

this trade/pick was all about their selfish motives to keep their jobs.

And if these selfish motives means we go into the Patriots house in December and whip their sorry asses for the division?

Somehow, I don't think we'll mind.

:lol:

EDIT: When the impromptu "playoffs" parade is rolling down Delaware Avenue/Elmwood....I will remember to shout to the crowd: "But...but...but....this is all based on Whaley's selfish motives!" and see if anyone gives a crap.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably in the minority on this, but keeping hold of the 2nd this year was a coup. Yes, we gave the first next year. But the 2nd is more valuable now in trying to get this team one more starter and over the proverbial hump.

Agreed. Love that we have our draft picks this year still. The strongest draft in how long?! So, great job not trading away any picks (not including the 6th for Williams)

Nobody knows how Watkins will turn out. Not even Doug Whaley. I'm just glad he is willing to push the chips in when he has a strong feeling about a player. Last year, he (and Buddy...sort of) doubled back and got extra picks. It seems, in this small sample, that Whaley has an open mind about the draft and how to approach it. Perhaps a bit too much guesstimation on my part, but I love his conviction.

Agreed. Love the open mind, research and intelligence into decisions.

What a breath of fresh air from the conservative 'we'll get there' attitude we've seen for so long. People on TSW are lamenting the Watkins pick, but I love it. There are busts, mediocre players in the first round every year, and we made sure that we got a sure thing this year. And with the FA additions this summer, this organization's playoff hopes next year are clearly not just idle rhetoric. If there's one guy to bring the Bills back to the playoffs, it's Doug Whaley. CAN'T WAIT 'TIL SEPTEMBER!!!!!!!!

I was just going to post a new topic in this direction. With the trading of Stevie J, Whaley and Marrone too are making this their team and going balls deep on their futures in doing so. Congrats to them for saying enough is enough of the same old crap. Also, Kudo's to Russ Brandon for buying in!

does "gotta win now" mean you trade your #2 receiver for peanuts ?

Johnson was no better than 4th best in this new unit. A 4th, possible 3rd for SJ and his contract is better than expected.

You don't win by being passive. I love the fact he is willing to be intelligently proactive. He has done his part (sans getting o-line help—hopefully today), now it is on EJ and the players.

I agree with this 100%. The Bills have sat back too much in the past 15 years and let things happen to them, both in FA, the Draft, and on the field. it's time to be the aggressors for a change.

I love how he minimized next years first as it will be a "low pick".... In the post pick presser. love the swag!

me too. Some people are calling it naive, whatever, you can't win unless you think you can. That's step one. Step two: get the talent. Check. Step three: execute=can't wait for the season!!!

Johnson was no better than 4th best in this new unit. A 4th, possible 3rd for SJ and his contract is better than expected.

Exactly. I love how people dont' get he would have been no better than 3rd and in reality 4th on the depth chart this year AND he will be no better than #3 in SF

I'm gonna say it again.... I love me some Doug Whaley! He is what we have needed for such a long time. I bet it killed him watching that old fart Nix Fk Things up while he sat

I'm frustrated by people saying it's for the new owners, it's for the new owners. I don't buy it.

Nor do I.

All of the 'local' ownership prospects under consideration (Pegula, Golisano, Jacobs) are great business guys who would most assuredly not "dump the existing front office" as their first managerial decision. They would take the time to study the organization and when they feel comfortable in their knowledge of who's wheat vs. chaff, then make personnel changes. That would be 2016 at the earliest.

The only people who fire and hire on a whim are that segment of the fan base that live to hear the sound of their own voices...(or Donald Trump).

this trade/pick was all about their selfish motives to keep their jobs.

Not to be a dick, or a smartass (though both are kinda called for here), isn't every GM trying to keep their job with each pick they make? Wouldn't you rather them be managing for their jobs?

Talk about getting upset for no reason at all... take a breath.

does "gotta win now" mean you trade your #2 receiver for peanuts ?

Hey, Nix traded a first rounder who was a 1000k rusher in Lynch for poop...

We all knew something had to give as they just traded for Mike Williams, and then draft Watkins. I sure hope Whaley knows what he is doing.

Exactly. I love how people dont' get he would have been no better than 3rd and in reality 4th on the depth chart this year AND he will be no better than #3 in SF

I'm gonna say it again.... I love me some Doug Whaley! He is what we have needed for such a long time. I bet it killed him watching that old fart Nix Fk Things up while he sat

I was right with you til the last part there... While that may be true, Whaley still relies deeply on Nix's insight on a regular basis. To add, take a look at the pics from the war room on the bills website last night. Nix knows players, period. Better than most. They all have failures...

Hey, Nix traded a first rounder who was a 1000k rusher in Lynch for poop...

We all knew something had to give as they just traded for Mike Williams, and then draft Watkins. I sure hope Whaley knows what he is doing.

FTL, I am with you here. I want at least 1 OL in the next 2 rounds (+1 more). Who do you want? I think that my list goes Morgan, Su'a'Filo, Kuondijo, Bitonio, Gabe Jackson, Mewhort, Yankey, Flemming and Cyril Richardson. You?!?

Interesting.

So, it's the fall of 1987. The Bills finished the previous season at 4-12 -- not quite last place, given the pathetic Colts at 3-13, but damn near close. Now they have an up-and-coming GM, a coach in his second year, a #1 overall pick from two seasons prior (though still not playing up to the level of the #1 overall pick), and they just returned from the player's strike, beating Miami on the road for the first time in like...forever. They have a new gunslinger QB and a team that is showing some life and excitement, but they still have a looong way to go.

So the GM goes and pulls off the "trade of the decade", giving up their #1 pick the following season, and their #1 and #2 the season after that, along with an established RB, for one potential major impact player -- arguably, the second-best rated player in the draft, behind only the legendary Vinny Testaverde.

Knowing how Cornelius Bennett turned out -- and he's not a Hall of Famer, for what it's worth -- do people think it was worth such a huge mortgage of the future? Remember, this was not a team that was one player away from the playoffs, much less the Super Bowl. This was a team that could barely get out of it's own way the year before.

It was a huge price to pay. Huge. For one player. Yes, he seemed like a sure thing, but you never know. No #1 pick the following year, no #1 or #2 the year after that.

Would you have done it?

Did it prevent the team from making the playoffs? Or getting to the Super Bowl?

Yes, yes, we all know -- we had our franchise QB. But there was no guarantee at the time that Kelly was going to continue to develop into a hall-of-fame QB, or that he wouldn't suffer a major injury, putting the team in a terrible position with no top draft picks for three years.

Funny, I don't recall anyone bitching about that trade at all, or the high price, just excitement about the impact player they just got.

FTL, I am with you here. I want at least 1 OL in the next 2 rounds (+1 more). Who do you want? I think that my list goes Morgan, Su'a'Filo, Kuondijo, Bitonio, Gabe Jackson, Mewhort, Yankey, Flemming and Cyril Richardson. You?!?

Not sure, they trade back with the Rams 41st #2? Now they have the #44

Yolo sold me on Hyde, so i dunno as the two best OG's are now gone.Maybe Morgan Moses, Gabe Jackson

Edited by FeartheLosing

Not sure, they trade back with the Rams 41st #2? Now they have the #44

Yolo sold me on Hyde, so i dunno. OT, OG

I LOVE Hyde but I still think that I want an OL here Cyrus or Moses. I would be cool with Hyde though because I think that he is a pro bowl RB. Edited by Kirby Jackson