RD1, Pick #4: WR Sammy Watkins - Clemson

Just like we didn't care when we had no first round pick the year after the Bennett trade. Who was the player we got in the 2nd that year? Gee, I just can't place him...

GO BILLS!!!

Didn't we see him wearing a yellow jacket in Canton, OH?

If Percy Harvin and Heinz Ward had a baby it's name would be Sammy Watkins.

Awesome draft fellas. Let's go Cyrus !

Great take, Ryan.

And if they took that baby and grafted Jerry Rice's hands it would be even better. I LOVE how this kid catches the ball.

GO BILLS!!!

Great take, Ryan.

And if they took that baby and grafted Jerry Rice's hands it would be even better. I LOVE how this kid catches the ball.

GO BILLS!!!

Kinda of reminds me of Andre when running after the catch for yardage and getting through traffic....

I feel like it has been ages since I have seen the Bills have someone who could to that...Moulds was really the last one...

Check out the move by @sammywatkins once he takes handoff at 2:05. Just can't teach that stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X29u5-HeiVg

Apologies in advance if already posted.

Good find, thanks for posting it.

I really like the way he runs after the catch at 2:49 and the way he snatches the ball from the DB for a TD at 3:02.

This guy is an absolute beast!

from Sully this am:

""Here’s the story they all love to tell about Sammy Watkins: A while back, Watkins was sitting in the office of Eugene Parker, his new agent"

Nice article.

You also gotta wonder about Eugene Parker though-- you would think the guy would try to advise his clients to be frugal, particularly due to so many players going bankrupt. Apparently not.

Anyone claiming that Sammy shouldn't be compared to the likes of AJ Green or Mega, just take a look at this play he made in the biggest game of his career:

He just out jumps the CB, in very tight coverage, and goes up and gets the ball. That is something you can't teach. He is a beast.

The more film I watch on this kid, the more I love this pick. I give the draft an A+ just because of this pick.

We haven't had a player in Buffalo like him since Andre Reed. I also wouldn't be surprised in 20 years when that comparison goes: "We haven't had a WR like that since Sammy Watkins"

Edited by smapdi

I feel like it has been ages since I have seen the Bills have someone who could to that...Moulds was really the last one...

Yep, Watkins is the best receiver this team has seen since Moulds in his prime. I can't wait to see him out there wreaking havoc on opposing defenses.

Nice article.

You also gotta wonder about Eugene Parker though-- you would think the guy would try to advise his clients to be frugal, particularly due to so many players going bankrupt. Apparently not.

I thought the same thing. The story reflects well on Sammy and his family and not so well on Parker.

I thought the same thing. The story reflects well on Sammy and his family and not so well on Parker.

I can't believe I am about to stick up for Parker (I feel dirty now)...

How many clients do you think Parker has dealt with and the first thing they talk about is getting a sweet ride....Probably 99.99999% of them...

Now that I have said that; It speaks volumes about Watkins. It makes me feel even better about this pick

IMO Sammy Watkins will turn out to be the best/most talented draft pick since Eric Moulds, which dates back to 1996. I think Watkins could prove to be even better then Moulds, which is saying a ton. Moulds nearly had 10,000 yards receiving. All I can say is wow. Very happy about this selection. Watkins is a very rare talent, he would go #1 OVR in most draft classes.

Love this pick...not the price...but I suppose it's like trading in for a new, upgraded car: you just went from a Cadillac to a Bentley...sticker shock is a bit breath-taking at first, and then you drive it and forget all about the money it cost you to get it.

Edited by BigBuff423

Love this pick...not the price...but I suppose it's like trading in for a new, upgraded car: you just went from a Cadillac to a Bentley...sticker shock is a bit breath-taking at first, and then you drive it and forget all about the money it cost you to get it.

I agree with this. Love the player, seems like a lot. But if he is similar to Julio Jones, would you trade a 1st and 4th for him? I'm assuming most would. Puts a lot on Watkins so let's hope they are right.

Put simply:

How do we...? Easy: There's no such thing as magically adding a draft-eligble player to your team, without expending 1(one) draft pick.

Which means that you have invested one draft pick in that player. We invested two firsts and one fourth in Watkins.

The result of the trade Whaley actually made is exactly the same as it would be if Cleveland stayed at #4 overall, selected Watkins with that pick, and then traded Watkins to us for 2 firsts and a fourth.

Now thump your chest some more and tell us how smart you are.