RD1, Pick #4: WR Sammy Watkins - Clemson

winning....

calvin Johnson, andre Johnson, Brandon marshall, Antonio brown, dez Bryant, larry fitgerald, josh Gordon.

what do all the pro bowl recievers have in common ?

none got their teams to the playoffs.

Umm, Larry Fitzgerald has played in a Super Bowl and more than one playoff game. I noticed AJ Green and Julio Jones aren't on your list, and several of these receivers have been in the postseason.

Oh come on now Campy, you and I BOTH know that Moulds was a HELL of a player. Remember that playoff game in Miami that Doug Flutie blew? He had what, 200 yards receiving in that game?

I loved Eric Moulds. Guy was a stone-cold DB killer.

Moulds was a jet engine installed in a Yugo.

as it is, too much log jam at receiver. i think either williams or SJ will not be with the team this year. remember guys, there is only one football and it doesn't matter how many offensive weapons you have if you keep having 3 and outs because we don't have a line to protect EJ or open holes in a running game.

and no quarterback routinely has time to get past their 3rd-4th read anyway.

excited about Watkins, but this is all dependent on EJ and what line we have next year

The bills have been a failure for the last 14 years, partly because they were terrible at evaluating talent. Whaley made a bold move for a player he obviously feels will be a game changer for the bills. To those who think that this move was too expensive, i respectfully, but emphatically disagree. Whaley threw his junk on the chopping board, and made a bold decision. Some of you call it reckless, I believe it shows decisiveness and confidence, something this team has been lacking from its managers.

Love the pick

The time is now

Go Bills!!

When I saw JAX pick Bortles, I thought someone I really wanted (Evans or Matthews) might have a chance to slid to 9. I HATED the trade when I saw the Bills move up to 4. Bad teams should never give up next year's #1. But look how the draft played out. Evans and Matthews gone. Look who was actually picked at 9 - one trick pony Anthony Barr. What would this board have looked like if we stuck at 9 and picked Taylor Lewan or Zack Martin? Face it. At 9, the Bills were stuck in no man's land. Too low to get a true blue chip and too high to get a "value" pick. Trade back you say? With whom? For whom? Maybe St. Louis trades up to get Donald. But what do you get? An extra 3?

I still don't love the trade but I don't hate it either. Whaley was aggressive in going after the consensus #2 player in the draft. They are now in a position to trade Stevie for a #4 or #5 and recoup the 2015 #4. As long as they are not a bottom ten team next year, they make out ok with the trade. Of course, it all comes down to Manuel, but that would have been true no matter who they picked.

Good post. Agreed 100%.

How that we have Watkins hopefully a TE won't lead the team in receiving this season.

It wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if Chandler has a good season. If teams are giving so much attention to our WRs that our TE has room to make us consistent first downs, it's a win win. The only thing that'd need to improve is punching in TDs within the redzone.

The Watkins trade and selection got a C- grade on CBS Sports and Charlie Casserly ripped it several times on NFL network. Other NFL talking head said that you make that trade if you are a playoff team and the Bills are not going to be in the playoffs, that it is a make or break year for EJ. I went to bed thinking it was a bold move and now....still think it was. Forget them. The Bills have to fix the Offensive line today. If the line gets fixed, the offense can then generate points. The team is on the verge to making the playoffs.

I'll take it all a step further too- if Manuel can't get the ball to this ridiculous receiving corps, then Lewis will. This team is way too deep with talent now to not win at least 8 games and give Cleveland a middle of the 1st round pick next year. That's worst case IMO.

When I saw JAX pick Bortles, I thought someone I really wanted (Evans or Matthews) might have a chance to slid to 9. I HATED the trade when I saw the Bills move up to 4. Bad teams should never give up next year's #1. But look how the draft played out. Evans and Matthews gone. Look who was actually picked at 9 - one trick pony Anthony Barr. What would this board have looked like if we stuck at 9 and picked Taylor Lewan or Zack Martin? Face it. At 9, the Bills were stuck in no man's land. Too low to get a true blue chip and too high to get a "value" pick. Trade back you say? With whom? For whom? Maybe St. Louis trades up to get Donald. But what do you get? An extra 3?

I still don't love the trade but I don't hate it either. Whaley was aggressive in going after the consensus #2 player in the draft. They are now in a position to trade Stevie for a #4 or #5 and recoup the 2015 #4. As long as they are not a bottom ten team next year, they make out ok with the trade. Of course, it all comes down to Manuel, but that would have been true no matter who they picked.

You are dead on with this. Reality of options available at 9 is what made Whaley make the move I think. Whoever they picked at 9 would probably be 50/50 on becoming a star- or even decent. So if Watkins is viewed as cant-miss, why not make the move?

Oh come on now Campy, you and I BOTH know that Moulds was a HELL of a player. Remember that playoff game in Miami that Doug Flutie blew? He had what, 200 yards receiving in that game?

I loved Eric Moulds. Guy was a stone-cold DB killer.

No argument, I loved E Moulds - I still have his jersey hanging in my closet. I didn't mean it as much as a swipe at Moulds and more of a compliment to Watkins.

If the "experts" are wrong on half of what they say about him, Watkins could end up being the top WR in franchise history.

Even Kiper said he was the best WR he's seen in 36 years of scouting players. Not one of the best, the best. That's a statement almost as bold as Whaley's trade and pick.

i know, right? :flirt: , i will equally blast and praise him when they are deserved...this one was well deserved

I'm sorry I thought I misread.

I saw the words "good article" and "Tim Graham" in the same post

CBF