RD1, Pick #4: WR Sammy Watkins - Clemson

Even Kiper said he was the best WR he's seen in 36 years of scouting players. Not one of the best, the best. That's a statement almost as bold as Whaley's trade and pick.

I believe the quote was, "He is a beast in the open field after the catch; one of the best I’ve seen in 36 years of doing this."

Nevertheless, point taken. I'm glad we have him.

Dude, instead of stalking me on this board and boring others, why don't you send me a PM telling me what a p.o.s. I am. I promise not to tell the mods.

Now, why not revisit the "Redskin" thread and pour out your aching heart yet again? Your emotional outpour was so moving I was almost in tears.

Maybe we can get together some day. I'll play a few chords on my acoustic and sing "Emotional Rescue" by the Rolling Stones to you.

You may be a good guy, I just don't think you know that much about football. Like I've said, I am also a big Deadhead. Let's start with a conversation that we could maybe find some middle ground on. Best Dead studio album? I'm going Wake of the Flood. Also, Emotional Rescue is one of the worst Stones songs ever. Play me something from Beggars Banquet or Goats Head Soup and we may be onto something.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

speaking of the Dead, did you see Dave's Picks 10 is the highest debut charting Dead LP(17) since In The Dark, narrowly beating out the chart debut last year of Sunshine Daydream(19)

You may be a good guy, I just don't think you know that much about football. Like I've said, I am also a big Deadhead. Let's start with a conversation that we could maybe find some middle ground on. Best Dead studio album? I'm going Wake of the Flood.

We spent 2 firsts, we gained a first. So the net loss was one first. That's all there is to it. I can't believe this is still going on.

It should have been done with the 1st correction, 2 pages before I wrote the 6th correction. :lol:

Hey, it's not like I didn't threaten a crayon format!

And...you're wrong too: don't forget the 4th. The net loss is one first and one fourth. You know, cause that 4th was going to be our Russel Wilson/EJ replacement. :lol:

We spent 2 firsts, we gained a first. So the net loss was one first. That's all there is to it. I can't believe this is still going on.

It keeps going on because there is two ways of looking at it and it seems many people can only see one way.

We spent 2 firsts & a 4th, and gained a first in the trade.

We spent 2 firsts & a 4th on the player.

Need to put a stake in the heart of this monster (how much the Bills spent in the trade). However you interpret it, it is done. Next season will dictate the draft narrative in Spring of 2015. The Bills have made several free agent moves, add the draft picks and the street agents signed after the draft and they will fill all their needs. I am an optimist and see them making the play offs. Next years first round pick will be a 20 or higher (if they make the play offs). I think it was a bold move and should pay dividends for the team.

BB.com just posted this transcript of Sammy's interview with the Buffalo media.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Sammy-Watkins-My-mentality-is-to-score-every-play/2ae9ac34-1dd0-4429-baca-f4d9547f8618

Without even having any names attached to the transcript, you can basically surmise which questions Sully and the Debbie Downers asked.

Edited by Peter

Long thread so I may have missed it, but just saw a Forbes article on the draft that Watkins' agent is the esteemed Eugene Parker. Thought that was worth mentioning.

Is it really? If so, I hate this trade even more.

winning....

calvin Johnson, andre Johnson, Brandon marshall, Antonio brown, dez Bryant, larry fitgerald, josh Gordon.

what do all the pro bowl recievers have in common ?

none got their teams to the playoffs.

Exactly what I've been saying.

Wow this just amazes me.

None of us thought that we would have a shot at Watkins and many of us thought he was one of the most talented and elite players in this draft.

I like how Whaley said that the first round pick next year should be a low one.

Its time to win now!

I think many people do not like this trade because with the old management, they hated trading up and were very conservative. This new management is more bold and are risk takers which I love. I think you get further when you take risks and this is a great move.

As far as losing our first round pick next year, I feel this will force them to be more aggressive in free agency and sign a great player.

I loved this move so much my voice is raspy from all the cheering I did last night

CBF

If the pick pans out then the reward outweighs the risk. Hopefully Watkins is everything he's cracked up to be and equally hopefully the Bills will be able to take advantage of his talents.

Finally had a chance to chime in, and I'm laughing at Bills fans critical of this trade. I feel sorry for them if having a future and totally unknown 1st round pick is more important to them than having Sammy "Freaking" Watkins on the Bills. I love love love this pick!

This is a passing league and what we lack in having a seasoned franchise QB, we now make up for in great WR talent. Look at how pitiful the Pats, Jets and Dolphins WR corps are and then come back and tell me that the Bills aren't real contenders in this division. IMO if Manuel brings his game up to average in this league we will have a real shot at winning this division. That's a big "if" but I still believe in him becoming a franchise QB.

This wasn't gutsy. It was reckless.

Reckless was the late Al Davis taking Heyward-Bey with the 7th pick in '09. Gutsy is putting your reputation on the line in both drafts you headed--Manuel last year and Watkins this year. You have to give Whaley some credit taking Kiko last year despite alleged "character issues", signing Branch and Lawson, trading for Hughes, etc...

Reckless was the late Al Davis taking Heyward-Bey with the 7th pick in '09. Gutsy is putting your reputation on the line in both drafts you headed--Manuel last year and Watkins this year. You have to give Whaley some credit taking Kiko last year despite alleged "character issues", signing Branch and Lawson, trading for Hughes, etc...

"Like"

As you can tell, I don't follow much of this.

Out of the teams: OAK, TB, ATL, MIN who did Buffalo "jump" to get Watkins? Was it Tampa, since they selected Mike Evans?

How does Watkins compare to Evans?

It appears as though Oakland and Tampa were the teams most likely to select Watkins. The Lions were reportedly trying to move up and take him as well.

Watkins grades out better than Evans. He was graded in the same range as Julio Jones and AJ Green. Evans has the size, but Watkins plays big. He attacks the ball in the air and has great hands. He is explosive and can turn any play into a touchdown. He's a more physical Percy Harvin. Evans is still raw. Watkins has the skills to come in and dominate day one.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Cleveland has a rich history of showing that they know what they are doing with multiple high draft picks. Be very afraid.

And with those picks they have won just as many Super Bowls as we have.