It will be Zack Martin then a RB in round 2

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard the Matt Light comparison made several times with Zack Martin, that's good company to be compared to.

I'm totally fine with Martin after a trade down, although doesn't it seem a bit strange that we would be targeting such a smallish O-Lineman? Marrone has said dozens of times that he values larger O-Lineman and his goal is to beef up the Bills upfront.

As talented as Martin is he doesn't fit that profile at all.

All of this talk about Martin is ironic, in that 4 years ago it was flat-out wrong to take Bryan Bulaga (who isn't a carbon copy of Martin admittedly) because you don't get value drafting RT's that high. That, and people were enamored of CJ Spiller.

It's a deep draft for OT's, and I'd think the drop off from Martin to someone in the early 2nd wouldn't be so considerable to warrant taking a RT at 9.

All of this talk about Martin is ironic, in that 4 years ago it was flat-out wrong to take Bryan Bulaga (who isn't a carbon copy of Martin admittedly) because you don't get value drafting RT's that high. That, and people were enamored of CJ Spiller.

It's a deep draft for OT's, and I'd think the drop off from Martin to someone in the early 2nd wouldn't be so considerable to warrant taking a RT at 9.

As bad as it is to admit it, I wanted Bulaga. I thought he might be able to play LT. I didn't want Spiller because I didn't think it was a big enough need. That said, Spiller is the better player and I've learned my ways.

The idea of taking a RT at #9 absolutely sucks. I understand it and I like a guy like Matthews being capable as a LT, but man, such a buzzkill.

As bad as it is to admit it, I wanted Bulaga. I thought he might be able to play LT. I didn't want Spiller because I didn't think it was a big enough need. That said, Spiller is the better player and I've learned my ways.

The idea of taking a RT at #9 absolutely sucks. I understand it and I like a guy like Matthews being capable as a LT, but man, such a buzzkill.

Exactly! A RB in round 2 would be a 2 day buzzkill

Exactly! A RB in round 2 would be a 2 day buzzkill

Yup and it's not about the player. It just would make no sense. Draft a rb with a 2nd to trade Spiller (with his 5.1 career ypc) for like a 4th round pick??? It would be mind blowingly stupid.

The only thing that could be worse is to draft a S in the 1st. Stop creating holes and then filling them with high picks

That is the difference between you and me, and probably me and the entire board here.

I would freak out if the team drafted an OT in the first, and freak out in a good way. I would probably be looking to buy season tickets again if they went OT in the first, and OG in the second.

Conversely, what would absolutely suck for me is another defensive first round pick on a team loaded with #1's & #2's, save perhaps Mack. The reality? I can see the Bills drafting another DB since there are no RB's rated that high.

That is the difference between you and me, and probably me and the entire board here.

I would freak out if the team drafted an OT in the first, and freak out in a good way. I would probably be looking to buy season tickets again if they went OT in the first, and OG in the second.

Conversely, what would absolutely suck for me is another defensive first round pick on a team loaded with #1's & #2's, save perhaps Mack. The reality? I can see the Bills drafting another DB since there are no RB's rated that high.

All I will say is if a OT is the highest rated player on their board (not including positions like cb or rb which we shoudn't draft), I will understand it. I won't like it, because I feel top 10 picks should be playmakers or at least LTs. But I will accept it and hope for the best. But draft party over! :(

All I will say is if a OT is the highest rated player on their board (not including positions like cb or rb which we shoudn't draft), I will understand it. I won't like it, because I feel top 10 picks should be playmakers or at least LTs. But I will accept it and hope for the best. But draft party over! :(

My sentiments as well

I like the idea of an OT here- I don't care that the rookie will "only" play RT. My concern is whether Zack Martin can really play RT in the NFL. If he turns out to be too short to effectively play RT, I would think it is a mistake to take him at 9 only to have to move him to OG.

I know many thought that Cordy Glenn couldn't play LT and he is doing that well. Perhaps Martin could do well at RT even though many are projecting him to OG?

I've heard the Matt Light comparison made several times with Zack Martin, that's good company to be compared to.

I'm totally fine with Martin after a trade down, although doesn't it seem a bit strange that we would be targeting such a smallish O-Lineman? Marrone has said dozens of times that he values larger O-Lineman and his goal is to beef up the Bills upfront.

As talented as Martin is he doesn't fit that profile at all.

He wasn't even brought in for a workout. I'm surprised this thread has grown to 5 pages considering this fact...lol

And the Bills could easily extend Jackson for another two seasons, if he continues to have the same production. Spiller either takes the 4.5M /year salary or walks. The Bills can then address RB in FA next year or draft one in 2015. There is no rush to get a RB this season. I would rather spend that pick on a potential QB like Murray, Boyd, Mettenberger, or Savage who all should be available in the 3rd round.

yup this^

so did you cry in 1983 when the Bills selected the third best QB? I like the Martin pick. And we do have needs. At tackle and guard- Martin can play both

Yeah they should have traded up n grabbed Elway. Now that man would have won us some SB's! Kelly was great ans is still a big part of B-lo, but I did shed a tear!

Just watched his Rutgers/ND bowl game tape. Martin was impressive. Great run blocker. Consistently pushed his man 3-5 years down the field. Seems like a safe pick at #9. If he does struggle at Tackle, he'll be an All-Pro guard. We could do worse, but would prefer to trade down if he's our best option at #9.

I'm starting to believe the hype. The Bills love Martin. Kinda vanilla draft pick, but I wouldn't cry about it.

After watching some of their games the last couple of days and focusing on Martin, I can understand why they do. I like this guy a lot. He's an excellent player and I strongly suspect he will be one in the pros as well, wherever he ends up on the OL. I have no issue with drafting him 9th overall, especially given the other players most likely available when we pick. If they can trade down, so much the better, though I'm not sure I'd risk it.