All right, sources have reported back, and this happens next Thursday.

Why would the Bills trade Stevie Johnson? Is his contract too high? This is the second time I have seen a trade scenario with the Browns where you would trade him here. Personally I think this would be an amazing trade for Cleveland but don't get it.

His contract number is pretty high going forward and he needs to be much better than last year to earn it.

Mostly though, the trade Stevie talk comes from the crowd who will talk incessantly of his few drops in big situations and of his penalized on-field celebrations a few seasons back. They also REALLY hate, and can't let go, that he didn't make the effort to run down a guy he had no realistic way of catching after Tuel threw an interception last year against KC. SJ = Lightning rod.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's BS. I'll go further out on a limb (because that's the kind of guy I am)

Next Thursday the Bills will trade up in the first round, trade down in the first round or choose the 9th player in the 2014 NFL Draft.

Excellent in depth analysis. Could you post a link?

How on gods green earth does a 6-10 team with a corps of 2nd year QB's, and a bad O line see themselves as playoff contenders? I literally had a good laugh when I read that remark. Have the Bills FO people been partying with Rob Ford recently?

I see this team in desperate help for the line in terms of RT, LG, and some decent depth at several positions besides players directly off the waiver wire. "IF" they upgrade that O line then the QB's might just stand a chance in developing into decent QB's, and might be able to field a team with a winning record of maybe 8-8, 9-7.

The only other alternative I see is moving up to draft Johnny Football, and then the team shouldn't need to expend many resources on the line.

Atlanta, Cincinnati, Cleveland games were all down to the wire. If they win those games they're 9-7. Saying a "6-10" team is meaningless. A bounce here or there is all that means. Bills have talent all over the field. They need a RT, but they might like Hairston. Or they might not think it's a dire as you do. As dire as you believe the line to be they were one of the top rushing teams in the NFL and could have finished with a winning record. 2nd year QB's is meaningless too. EJ has to step up. Simple as that. And that's what they seem to be counting on. So they build the talent around him. Watkins is dynamic. I can see how they believe playoffs are a distinct possibility.

Edited by purple haze

Seems like a horrible idea, even if he does become an elite receiver, trading two high draft picks AND a proven WR for a ... WR.

Would the Steelers or Patriots -- the two most successful teams in the AFC -- do this?

What two draft picks? They trade SJ13 and a 2nd in this scenario. They swap 9 for 4. So it's not actually giving up a first because

they get a first back.

Atlanta, Cincinnati, Cleveland games were all down to the wire. If they win those games they're 9-7. Saying a "6-10" team is meaningless. A bounce here or there is all that means. Bills have talent all over the field. They need a RT, but they might like Hairston. Or they might not think it's a dire as you do. As dire as you believe the line to be they were one of the top rushing teams in the NFL and could have finished with a winning record. 2nd year QB's is meaningless too. EJ has to step up. Simple as that. And that's what they seem to be counting on. So they build the talent around him. Watkins is dynamic. I can see how they believe playoffs are a distinct possibility.

Keep in mind, we'll surely be a player around the June 1st cuts.

If Sammy Watkins is there at 4, the Bills will trade their 1st, 2nd and Stevie Johnson to Cleveland for the rights to take Sammy Watkins. Something could change, but as of today, this is on the table...Not sure this makes us better, but they see something in Sammy and envision a long term relationship with EJ and him.

If Sammy is not there, they are more than happy with Matthews or Ebron at 9.

I will go on record as stating that Ebron at 9 is a mistake. Too high, and Jenkins is better. If you can't trade down, take Evans.

If true I would obviously welcome Watkins, but I'll also go on record against this deal because giving up a 2nd Round pick in this Draft is dumb, stupid, ill-advised, and...did I say dumb yet?

The deepest Draft in recent memory and we are going to give up #41? Ugh...I HATE that idea...Hate, hate, hate it... :thumbdown:

Couldn't agree with you more...there are a LOT of good wide receivers after Watkins. Not worth giving up that much. They may be able to trade back and pick Beckham and have additional picks...now that's what I'm talkin' about!!!

They didn't address OT in FA so they have to get one in the draft.... if they don't take one at 9 I think they would be foolish to wait until round 3 and then they still don't have a WR or TE (whatever they didn't get in rd 1) or another DE... sorry, giving up too much in this scenario. I can see a team like the Niners giving up picks for Watkins. Not the Bills.

I would be surprised if the 9ers didn't outbid the Bills for Watkins. They have a TON of picks, and a def. need at that position.

If Sammy Watkins is there at 4, the Bills will trade their 1st, 2nd and Stevie Johnson to Cleveland for the rights to take Sammy Watkins. Something could change, but as of today, this is on the table...Not sure this makes us better, but they see something in Sammy and envision a long term relationship with EJ and him.

If Sammy is not there, they are more than happy with Matthews or Ebron at 9.

I find these two statements to be a bit different. "Something could change, but as of today, this is on the table." and "sources have reported back and this happens next Thursday".

I really like Sammy Watkins, but that is a lot to give up in a very deep draft -- especially when there should be a very good player available for us at 9. We would be giving up three pretty darn good players (Stevie and whoever would be available with our first and second pick) for Sammy.

Is Sammy Watkins really this good? I wouldn't think he was that much better than Evans who might be available at 9 anyhow. If we are really moving up for Watkins then we lose that round 2 pick which could get us a good OL. I don't like this plan at all. Just draft the best player available at 9. This draft is deep so there will still be plenty of good talent available